What's new

How many shaves do you get on your SE GEM PTFE blade?

How many shaves are you getting with your GEM PTFE group buy Blade?

• 1 Shave - I always toss a blade after 1 use

• 2 Shaves - never more then 2 shaves with any blade

• 3 Shaves - I got a lot so not stretching them

• 4 Shaves - about like my DE blades

• 5 Shaves - a full work week's worth of shaves

• 6 Shaves - starting to show its age

• 7 Shaves - good value for the money

• 8 Shaves - boy am I gonna save some money now

• 9 Shaves - wow this thing is incredible

• 10 Shaves - the superman of blades

• MORE than 10 Shaves - it will last forever

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am still using the first blade out of my group of 400.... Still as sharp, smooth, and comfortable as it was the day it was unwrapped... It's going to be several more days before I know just how long a blade will last. I am not one to stretch a blade, once it starts to stop performing it gets 86ed but so far.... a week and still going strong...

Until this morning, have been shaving with the first blade of my GEM PTFE group buy. I think I will put this blade in the hall of fame, it has served me well with 18 BBS shaves. I'm not kidding, 18 shaves!! Was the last shave as smooth as the first, well no, toward the end there was some resistance/slight tugging on the the first pass, and a little extra touch up after the third pass, but always irritation free BBS shaves.

These are the best single edge blades that I have ever used and would recommend them to anyone, of course YMMV. Will I get 18 shaves from my next blade? No, but definitely don't plan to toss it before at least the 10th shave unless it falls below the quality of it's older brother. Let's see with my 200 blades from the group buy at 10 shaves each, and shaving 5 days per week, that is 7.69 years of shaving. Who said single edge blades had to be expensive?

I have been switching up razors so I only have 8 shaves on my first group buy PTFE blade. It is showing no signs of slowing down and is just as sharp and smooth as the day I unwrappped it. I think I made a mistake buying 400 of these blades. a GOOD mistake but a mistake all the same :lol:

I'm still on the first blade of the 300 (!) I got in the group buy, and I haven't really kept track of how many shaves, but I'd reckon around 5 with a bunch of touch-ups and general goofing off.

If anything, it feels sharper now then when I first put it in. Weird.

Shave 10 today and I thought I was going to vote but there is one more choice after 10 that says MORE than 10 shaves. This first blade is going more than 10 shaves as it is at that point now and it shows no sign of tiring. Just as sharp as it was the on the first shave....

Maybe I should have only bought 10 of them instead of 400..... Holey moley......

Several times (same blade & packaging, but not this particular buy) I've compared a blade that I thought ought to be dull by now against a new blade stored in another razor...and concluded there still wasn't a perceptible difference after 8 or 9 shaves. To my surprise.

Mine seem to go 8-11 with 10 being typical for me. This is using them at a pretty low angle, as low as possible. When I've gone back to experiment with higher angle, the go downhill faster.

Have not voted yet since I've been using mostly CVS and am still quite new to the SE world. I'm getting good numbers with these and have just started in with the PTFE blades. I have some type of 1912 patent Gem, a G bar and an OCMM and they all shave differently. I notice shaving angle changes as well, though maybe a low one can be used for all of these. Having said this, I intend to test the TPs using one model only for a week and then rotate to the next for a week. So far they have about 3 shaves each. Anyone willing to share experience with the blade angle issue?

Well that's it, I can finally vote! 7 and done for me. Shave number 7 was a lot of tugging and irritation, but the six prior to this were wonderful.

Well that's it, I can finally vote! 7 and done for me. Shave number 7 was a lot of tugging and irritation, but the six prior to this were wonderful.

Seven shaves per blade is still plenty though. I just did some quick math... I bought 300 blades... I shave every other day, and I get seven shaves per blade so one blade covers 14 days. If I shave exclusively with SE's I have 4200 days worth of blades, or just over 11.5 years.

Just noted that with 80 votes, 35% of folks are getting 7 or more shaves per blade. Don't know if this proves that these are really great blades or that a lot of LOSERs are also tightwads.:lol: Seriously I like the blades a lot and continue to use them when not enjoying my new Tradere open comb.

How can i get ahold of a few blades to try out on my GEM without having to buy 200 to 300 which i may never use if im still not satisfied? Currently using GEM/Personna SE blades.

Last edited:
correction if it matters because they might be the same blade from same manufacturer im using GEM/Personna blades.

Finally used up blades and went back to my GILETTE to compare. Thans for the blades onefallinghope these blades were much better! As for how many shave i got out of each blade tough to say, freaking blades are sharp, now i know why some say its aggressive. But its not bad once you get used to it. I got about 7-10 shaves out of these.
PM Me your address and I'll mail you three of them.

Several times (same blade & packaging, but not this particular buy) I've compared a blade that I thought ought to be dull by now against a new blade stored in another razor...and concluded there still wasn't a perceptible difference after 8 or 9 shaves. To my surprise.

Mine seem to go 8-11 with 10 being typical for me. This is using them at a pretty low angle, as low as possible. When I've gone back to experiment with higher angle, the go downhill faster.

I didn't catch the group buy,but I've used the GEM SS PTFE Blade enough to know it's performance and have recently purchased 200.At first I got 7 shaves,then after a bit of time 10 shaves,currently I'm getting 14 shaves per blade.I believe learning my razor and fine tuning my technique (Lower Angle) has enabled me to take full advantage of this outstanding blade.

I also believe that choice of razor matters....If after 10 shaves I take a blade I'm getting good performance from in my Streamline or EverReady 1914 and switch it to either my My EverReady 1912 or GEM Damaskeene....Those razors with less blade exposure don't position a "high milage veteran blade" where I can squeeze the most effectiviness from it.

Top Bottom