What's new

When/with what do you wash your face?

Hi all,

When do you wash your face? I have rather dry skin, and I get the feeling that using soap in the shower before I shave strips away a lot of my natural moisture. Do you think once a day at night is sufficient? Someone told me that washing your face after the shave isn't recommended.

Also, what do you use? I was just using mentos conditioner (with salicylic + glycolic acid), but someone mentioned that if I have dry skin it might have an adverse effect.

Here's to improving our shaves + skin! :balloon:

I wash my face once daily - in the morning in the shower. I have been using Jack Black Pure Clean Daily Facial Cleanser for about two years now and really like it. It is quite mild, doesn't dry out the skin and has a very nice feeling when it is on. Not the cheapest product on the market, but a 16oz tub for $30 has lasted me a year.

I wash right before I shave. I use a clear glycerine based soap, either Neutrogena or Pears. Glycerine will hydrate your beard and help soften it so it cuts off easier. I just wet my face, palm lather up some soap and rub it on with my hands working up a lather.

There have been times that I have gotten a decent enough hand lather from this type of soap that I do my first pass with what I built up with my hands, then apply the shaving lather for subsequent passes. Not very often though, mostly I just rinse then apply shaving lather or shave stick or what ever I will be using that day to make a lather with.

I leave the clean glycerine soap lather on my face while I soak my brush, decide what razor and blade I am going to use and set up the sink area so that I can shave which takes 3-5 minutes. Then I rinse my face, apply lather, and shave.

I've been prepping my beard this way for several decades. It works for me so I have never changed anything.

Last edited:
I shave before a shower and wash my face first with this Neutrogena bar that I buy at the grocery.

Attachments

• $neutro.jpg
    $neutro.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 109
I wash when i shower in the A.M or before i shave, depending on schedule. Like turtle stated above, i use a neutrogena glycerin facial bar to wash my face. i tend to get red patches under my eyes/high up on my cheeks so the more gentle the daily cleanser the better. I haven't had any issues with this bar yet and have been using for awhile now.

I've been debating this too and wondering what affects face washing has on shaving. I usually wash my face before a shave and as a guy, I really cared less about what I use. Just last week I just switched to Dr. Bonner's castile soap and used it on my face for the first time before shaving. I swear it dried my face out so much that trying to shave after was no fun.

So I'm going to look into what Turtle said, a glycerine based soap. Till then, I secretly use my wife's face wash....shhhh. :shifty:

I wash my face in the shower before I shave. Then I repeatedly coat it with soap and scrape that off followed by rinses in hot and then cold water. After that I wash it on an as needed basis.

Maybe the problem is the soap you are using. I tend to buy artisan soaps with moisturizers due to dry skin. They seem to have improved my complexion as well.

I use Mitchell's Wool Fat as my shave and facial soap. It's so moisturizing it ridiculous. Great stuff.

I wash my face in the shower prior to shaving with a mild soap. Then after shaving warm rinse to remove residue, then cold water, then alum, then witch hazel.
No oil or dryness issues.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Luniar:
My dermatologist reconmended Cetaphil[SUP]®[/SUP] to me in 2007 for my dry and sensitive skin. I use it in the shower, as a twice daily face wash and I'm totally satisfied with the great results. To me, it has a faint 'clean smell' (can't really lock down it's scent...but it's suposed to be scent-free ).

It's a very "effective cleanser that removes surface bacteria and oils...plus provides [the] skin with unique, dual-action moisturizing and deodorant benefits in a mild,
non-soap formulation". :thumbsup:

Cetaphil® Antibacterial Cleaning Bar

proxy.php
"Everyone who's ever taken a shower has an idea. It's the person who gets out of the shower, dries off and does something about it who makes a difference". Nolan Bushnell

attachment.php

In the morning.
In the shower.
L'Oreal Black Charcoal wash (for oily/sensitive)
2-3 x a week a facewasher for a good neck scrub.

i wash my face once or twice daily, and i use only the Oil Cleansing Method. my mixture is about 40/40/20 olive oil, castor oil, avocado oil.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to try and wash my face 2x a day, but I am getting put on an antibiotic for acne, so I can't use anything that is too drying. Maybe I'll try that neutrogena bar - it got good reviews on amazon as well.

Top Bottom