Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66

Thread: Working in the downtown of a Large City(Advice needed)

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Currently working in Suzhou, China. Born in Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    3,253

    Default

    Cleveland. right. According to wiki it's got 397,000 people. This is not even a city in my book. It's not a city with less than 3,000,000.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Just a stones throw from Cleveland OH
    Posts
    743
    Images
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottish steve View Post
    Cleveland. right. According to wiki it's got 397,000 people. This is not even a city in my book. It's not a city with less than 3,000,000.
    Like we don't have enough of a complex without the likes of YOU! I always wonder if that includes all the suburbs that are within 10 miles of downtown.

    In all seriousness, people from the burb's (and I am one of them) often think of downtown as a mass gathering of thieves, murderers, and other ruffians. A lot of this comes from the fact that when the flight happened, most of my friends parents (or grandparents) told us that the reason they moved to the suburbs was because of the crime. I am not going to get into a Cleveland history lesson, but that is the case. I remember being a new driver, I think I had my license for about 2 weeks) and going downtown for a concert. Got terribly lost and spent 40 minutes driving in circles. I made it home and headed back again the next day. Drove around until I had my bearings and I have been driving down there ever since.

    OP, you will be find. The food in Cleveland is awesome. Where will you be working?
    [B]You are disoriented. Blackness swims toward you like a school of eels who have just seen something that eels like a lot.[/B]

  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Currently working in Suzhou, China. Born in Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    3,253

    Default

    Sorry. I didn't mean to sound dismissive. My entire country is without a single city :-)

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Just a stones throw from Cleveland OH
    Posts
    743
    Images
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottish steve View Post
    Sorry. I didn't mean to sound dismissive. My entire country is without a single city :-)
    Not at all. A running gag in the US is that Cleveland is an awful place and we all have an inferiority complex.
    [B]You are disoriented. Blackness swims toward you like a school of eels who have just seen something that eels like a lot.[/B]

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Currently working in Suzhou, China. Born in Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    3,253

    Default

    Where I'm living at the moment has an official population of 6 million, but is considered too small to have an airport!
    It's very near Shanghai (pop. 16M) but The Hai still manages to be comparatively relaxed in most areas.
    My ex-flatmate is from Wuxi, population 20 million.....and nobody in The West has even heard of it. Street Crime is very low in China though. Nobody wants to get into it with the police, understandably.
    I suppose it's the ultimate ymmv.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pine Barrens, NJ
    Posts
    10,368

    Default

    Although it may seem terrifying at first, you'll get used to it in a month or two and it will just seem like another day on the job.

    I would take public transportation in to the office ... look into Federal and State grants and subsidies that will help to reduce the costs of your commuter ticket in exchange for you being "Eco-Friendly." Research the routes available and try and arrange your trip with as few transfers as possible. This may mean driving your car to a point that is not necessarily closest to your home, but it will save you a lot of time and stress and aggravation in the long run.

    As for dealing with the crowds ... no way around it, unless you want to brown-bag it and eat lunch at your desk every day. Even so, there are plenty of reasons to leave the office during your break times, whether its to go get something to eat or go do some shopping or just take in one of the myriad of free cultural events that large cities seem to have all over the place.

    If you can, you might want to invest in a good bicycle to keep at the office. This will extend your lunch-hour range considerably, and you won't need to confine yourself to the 2-square block area immediately surrounding your office.
    DIY Signature Kit. Some Assembly Required.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456790

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pine Barrens, NJ
    Posts
    10,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slugg77 View Post
    Not at all. A running gag in the US is that Cleveland is an awful place and we all have an inferiority complex.
    Someone on another forum once described my hometown (Baltimore, MD)
    as "the skankiest city in America outside of Detroit."

    I took it as a compliment.
    We Balti-Morons love our self-deprecating humor.
    Last edited by dpm802; 05-14-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    DIY Signature Kit. Some Assembly Required.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456790

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outside the Asylum
    Posts
    15,908
    Images
    4

    Default

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

    As a C-towner, I know this video is bs, but it is also funny (some language used)

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    746
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oc_in_fw View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

    As a C-towner, I know this video is bs, but it is also funny (some language used)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oZzgAjjuqZM

    Some of us Cincinnati natives happen to love the accuracy depicted in these videos
    Jesse 2 Corinthians 5:21

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outside the Asylum
    Posts
    15,908
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xXClockwork View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oZzgAjjuqZM

    Some of us Cincinnati natives happen to love the accuracy depicted in these videos
    "we're not Detroit". Seriously, though, it is a good town. And I really miss polish boys
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Boy
    just in case

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    6,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpm802 View Post
    Someone on another forum once described my hometown (Baltimore, MD)
    as "the skankiest city in America outside of Detroit."

    I took it as a compliment.
    We Balti-Morons love our self-deprecating humor.
    What happened to "Charm City"?

    I remember once somebody had spray painted graffitti on an interstate exit sign that originally said "Baltimore next 4 exits" or something like that. The graffitti said, "That's BALMER, Hon!"

    I sailed with a guy who identified himself as a SMIB. Stands for "Southern Maryland In-Bred".
    "A noble heart embiggens the smallest man." (Jebediah Springfield)

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ & The Fortress of Solitude
    Posts
    44,446
    Images
    78

    Default


  13. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    324
    Images
    5

    Default

    I'm jealous. I used to work in the Cambridge (MA), and was banished to the exurbs. Being able to walk outside and choose from one of 50 places to eat for lunch, or get some errands done, or even enjoy the weather and watch some people was wonderful! And public transportation was an option, although I usually commuted by bike along the Charles River. Most cities have nice parks, places to run separate from traffic, etc.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Brunswick, OH
    Posts
    345
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slugg77 View Post
    Like we don't have enough of a complex without the likes of YOU! I always wonder if that includes all the suburbs that are within 10 miles of downtown.

    In all seriousness, people from the burb's (and I am one of them) often think of downtown as a mass gathering of thieves, murderers, and other ruffians. A lot of this comes from the fact that when the flight happened, most of my friends parents (or grandparents) told us that the reason they moved to the suburbs was because of the crime. I am not going to get into a Cleveland history lesson, but that is the case. I remember being a new driver, I think I had my license for about 2 weeks) and going downtown for a concert. Got terribly lost and spent 40 minutes driving in circles. I made it home and headed back again the next day. Drove around until I had my bearings and I have been driving down there ever since.

    OP, you will be find. The food in Cleveland is awesome. Where will you be working?
    It looks like somewhere 1100 Superior Avenue. Is that a good area or a bad area.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Palo Alto, under the Dish
    Posts
    12,662
    Images
    31

    Default

    Going to have to agree with Steve here, you're worrying over nothing.
    Cleveland is pretty small potatoes, after a week you won't even notice all the people around you.
    Just call me Chris.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sitting in the catbird seat
    Posts
    6,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Go West Young Man View Post
    Going to have to agree with Steve here, you're worrying over nothing.
    Cleveland is pretty small potatoes, after a week you won't even notice all the people around you.
    Just don't say anything good about Art Modell.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pine Barrens, NJ
    Posts
    10,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slash McCoy View Post
    What happened to "Charm City"?
    Baltimore is still quite charming, in its own special way. You have to know the good neighborhoods from the bad parts of town, and sometimes, they're just one block apart. But we Native Balti-Morons keep that secret to ourselves, and let the out-of-towners get all mixed up in the Tourist Traps and the overpriced, underperforming restaurants and bars. If you know where to go, you can have a helluva good time with very little out-of-pocket expense.

    I remember once somebody had spray painted graffitti on an interstate exit sign that originally said "Baltimore next 4 exits" or something like that. The graffitti said, "That's BALMER, Hon!"
    I remember that incident ... for a long time, it was a local mystery as to who painted those signs. He was referred to as "The HON Man." After a few years, someone came forward and confessed to the deed, but there are doubters (like Me) that don't think he was The Real Deal.

    I sailed with a guy who identified himself as a SMIB. Stands for "Southern Maryland In-Bred".
    That's not Baltimore. We have our share of clique groups and closely-knit communities, like the thousands of Orthodox Jews that live in the NW corner of the city.

    Your sailor friend sounds like he was from the DelMarVa Peninsula/Eastern Shore, down close to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel ... I never got over that way too much. There are a lot of families that have lived there continuously since Colonial times, and considering that even today it is rather isolated, the in-breeding may have been more than just an inside joke.
    DIY Signature Kit. Some Assembly Required.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456790

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    I went to Brunswick High School, and used to deliver industrial parts to downtown Cleveland. There are definately places I felt out of place, and spots I didn't feel safe. Did I ever get mugged? No. Did I ever get into a fight? No. Was I ever helped by a stranger? Yes. More times than not people will surprise you in a good way. Don't sweat it. You can easily live Lakeview, or a suburb close and be in a nice neighborhood.
    I could probably load Tabac on a Q-tip and still get a decent lather

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Athens, OH
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    If I remember correctly Surperior Avenue is downtown industrial area. Some deralict buildings there.
    I could probably load Tabac on a Q-tip and still get a decent lather

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Outside the Asylum
    Posts
    15,908
    Images
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    Just don't say anything good about Art Modell.
    What about "Wouldn't it be good to see Art Modell run over by an RTA bus?"?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 11:08 PM
  2. Advice on large boar wanted
    By Codfish in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
  3. Trip to Salt Lake City advice.
    By blary54 in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 12:07 AM
  4. Advice on becoming a city police officer
    By Frank7580 in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
  5. Some razors I'm working on (WARNING LARGE PICS)
    By leighton in forum General Straight Razor Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.