What's new

Ivory Soap...I tried it

My VHD boar brush has been getting a bit crunchy and last night I finally cleaned it with the dish soap followed by vinegar routine. After a thorough rinse, I put it on the bathroom shelf to dry. A few hours later, as I was getting ready for bed I noticed I could still faintly smell vinegar, so I decided to wash it out again with the bar of Ivory in the shower. As I was lathering up the brush I remembered I have been meaning to try and shave with Ivory for some time...purely for a experiment on possible ultra-light travel.

So I rinsed the brush well and then used the Ivory bar as a shave stick as per the old advertisement that pops up here now and then. My evening stubble really picked up the soap and as soon as the wet brush came in contact with it there was excellent lather exploding. I worked it up for a while and was quite impressed with the thickness. Next, I the lather on my face for a good 5 minutes while I brushed my teeth and such to test the longevity...and it remained outstanding. A quick rinse and off the bed, looking forward to using Ivory for my Tech Tuesday shave....talk about simplicity!

Now how come this mornings lather wasn't as thick and didn't hang around long enough to pick up the razor, much less shave? I muscled through with my original expectations met...an adequate shave with an available soap that took a bit of extra time and work. I would leave it at that if it wasn't for the stellar lather I got last night. Now I need to find what was different...it may well have been the additional soap left in the brush after cleaning.

When the kids were small, I used an Ivory soap in the washing machine as well. For shaving, the only time I used Ivory coincided with the development of peach fuzz and gradual change in character of the whiskers from age 14 to 17. Once I was shaving as often as three days a week (probably age 15 1/2), I was using a canned shaving cream. I have shaved in the shower with a variety of soaps, although I never have expected anything special from the single (mostly WTG) pass I perform, by feel, when I shave while showering.

I am certain I've never used a bar soap at home to shave with outside of the shower since my mid-teens, but I've run out of shaving product when traveling, and had to make do with the undersize little bars of soap they provide at Red Roof Inn and its competitors. Not a good shave that way!

Done it several times by choice and need. Ivory is passably decent shave. There is much better out there.

Phil

... There is much better out there.

Sure there are:

http://www.caprina.com/canada/en/brands/caprina/fragrances/original-formula/soap.html

Ingredients list:
Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Caprae Lac, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, DMDM Hydantoin, Titanium Dioxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Citronellol, Linalool, Limonene, Geraniol.

http://www.caprina.com/canada/en/brands/caprina/fragrances/shea-butter/soap.html

Ingredients list:
Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Caprae Lac, Parfum, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Sodium Chloride, DMDM Hydantoin, Titanium Dioxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Linalool, Amyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Geraniol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol.

Ivory is better than Williams you can get today I might try grating the 2 into a mug and give it a spin this summer when I am off from Teaching.

Top Bottom