What's new

My closest shaves are with an SE

I've had just about every vintage safety razor around at one time or another.
I rotate through DE,SE and straights.
Of all the blades, of all the razors I've tried, the SE razors give me the closest shave.

Im putting in a plug here for the SE.
If you haven't tried one, give it a shot.

I'm happy for you.

I, on the other hand, have tried almost every SE razor on the planet and I can't get a satisfactory shave with any of them. Furthermore, I don't enjoy the razors or the shaves anywhere near as much as I do with a DE. (Just to present a dissenting opinion; I know that many people love SEs.)

Yep. I get just as close a shave with my SE razors as I do with my DE and my straight razors.

I have not found a razor yet that I can't get a closes shave with.

How can it be better than a straight? Do you get the same soft face feel from a SE that the straight produces? I can get a great shave from a DE but it is just not the same as a straight.

How can it be better than a straight? Do you get the same soft face feel from a SE that the straight produces? I can get a great shave from a DE but it is just not the same as a straight.

The feedback from a straight is amazing. You have 100% total control over what you are doing. That is why I love a straight.
Nothing will top that feel when you are shaving.

For whatever reason (and I'm sure there are many) I just can't get as close a shave with a straight.

I have one single-edge so far, a GEM "G-Bar". It's a nice little shaver, and I get a better shave each time I use it. I am not far enough along with it to know if it will become a preferred razor, but it's a good one for sure.

The feedback from a straight is amazing. You have 100% total control over what you are doing. That is why I love a straight.
Nothing will top that feel when you are shaving.

For whatever reason (and I'm sure there are many) I just can't get as close a shave with a straight.
Reminds me of the deep-frying episode of Good Eats. "The best thing about deep frying in a dutch oven on the stove is that you have total control of your oil temperature. The worst thing about deep frying in a dutch oven on the stove is that you have total control of your oil temperature."

Congrats on finding your best razor, glad its worked out well for you. While I don't use a SE razor, I'm able to get really good shaves with any razor I use, be it a DE, slant, straight, or whatever. I believe that technique decides how the shave will turn out, but I'm glad that you've found your own ideal. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom