What's new

Antaeus and Egoiste... where next?

You know, until I stumbled across this forum, I never realised the world of EdT etc was so massive! I haven't heard of over half the stuff you guys are discussing.

I'm a big fan of Antaeus and Egoiste (not the Platinum rubbish). Not sure why they stopped selling Egoiste in the UK, I have to order it from overseas. I used to wear Farenheit when I was younger and I still like it, but not as much as the aforementioned.

Anyway, I guess I was after ideas on what other things I could look at that have similar notes with the longeivity. I like to try different smells (trying D&G The One Gentleman at the mo, it's a bit weak really), and have gone through quite a few different things in the past, but I always end up with Antaeus or Egoiste. :love-struck:

Here's a thought. Both Antaeus and Egoiste were created by Jacques Polge.
For Chanel he also created Allure (Pour Homme, Sport, Sport Eau Extreme and Edition Blanche) and Bleu de Chanel.
Check those out and see what you think.

I wear Allure PH and Bleu de Chanel from time to time and find them very nice (though Bleu de Chanel is a little boring sometimes.)

Just something to think about.

When I say that Bleu de Chanel is boring I mean that it is easy to wear and inoffensive.
It can be worn anywhere, it will get you compliments (maybe) but it lacks pizzazz.

Allure pour homme (not sport)

L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme

Both of these cost under $100/bottle. Can also do lots of decants.

To echo the comments from above, try the Allure line if youre looking for more Chanel. I like Sport, myself, but ask ten different people which is their favorite and expect ten different answers. There's also Pour Monsieur and the Les Exclusifs line. Don't let the feminine label confuse you on the LE line either, they are very neutral. Bleu I find to be generic, but a lot of people like it.

It IS overwhelming- I though there were a lot of cigar varieties! Little did I know when I entered the world of frags!

Gentlemen

Antaeus I used in the past, and felt iy hit a home run with me.
One other designer fragrance you may like is Bvlgari? sp.
As with shaving creams, we seek a cologne as well all our lives!!
Long story short. I am gonna be 60.
I went back to a couple older ones.

You may like habit Rouge by Guerrlain, and Heritage, if you are a Channel Antaeus man.
I recommend the Guerrlain and BvGari scents my friend

Nice day
Jimmy

Gentlemen

More natural and very unique colognes. Lorenzo Villoressi "Uomo." LV very nice stuff.
Santa Maria Novella as well.
What hit home with me was Floris, the Vetyiver.
They are all pure oils.

Nice day
Jimy

I wonder if the OP will like the Allure line (especially the lighter Sport and Edition Blanche) given he's a fan of such strong and complex juices as Egoiste and Antaeus. Sure, J. Polge authored them all, but they are quite different.

I got to have a smell of Allure Homme and Bleu today... not really for me. Didn't really stimulate me I'm afraid.

I did buy some Givenchy Gentleman though... haven't used it for years, had forgotten how good it smells!

The egoiste is now available only online or in Chanel boutiques. Have you given givenchy pi a shot? I also find the one gentleman to be weak at times. At others, it's fine. This one is a little pricey, but give Jaipur by boucheron a try. It is in parfum and edt. The parfum has more complexity and staying power. Good stuff, and they have a matching ASB.

I got to have a smell of Allure Homme and Bleu today... not really for me. Didn't really stimulate me I'm afraid.

I did buy some Givenchy Gentleman though... haven't used it for years, had forgotten how good it smells!

Perfect. Now you know and you can move on.
What about Egoiste and Anateus grabbed you?
The woody notes? The vanilla notes? Spicy?
Anteaus dries down with floral notes to me. Is that what you like?

Since you seem to prefer strong, spicy scents that aren't too sweet, you might consider Caron Yatagan, Givenchy Gentleman, Van Cleef & Arpels for Men, and Bandit by Robert Piguet (it's kind of like Aramis on steroids).

Keep us posted. We always like hearing what folks are trying and what they like or don't like.

Thanks for the suggestions Blondie and Jakespoppy (got Gentleman today), will check those out too if I get chance.

Maxman, I don't really have enough experience in the vocabulary of fragrance to give a concise reply, but I shall try to explain in my own words.

The smells I like are heavy, warm, dark, strong... maybe woody is the right description? There's a certain something that just triggers a response in my brain that screams "I love that smell!", but I couldn't be specific and name it. Looking at Basenotes, sandalwood is common to Antaeus and Egoiste, and also Farenheit which I like. Patchouli (which I know I like as an individual smell) is common to Antaeus and Gentleman.

To me, they all smell manly I guess. Most scents in the shops just smell like what I imagine Justin Beiber to smell of.

I recently bought a vial of dark patchouli oil. I love the smell, my girlfriend hates it, saying it smells of the inside of an old wardrobe that hasn't been aired for centuries. However, she likes the Antaeus, Farenheit and Egoiste. She hasn't experienced Gentleman yet.

Hope this answers your question. I appreciate all the responses and help, this forum has opened up a whole new world (or instigated yet another craze, as my better half would say)...

Top Bottom