What's new

Weber Razor

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a Weber razor with "Advanced Razor Coating" (ARC). I don't fully understand the metallurgy of this coating, but it's supposed to provide durable and smooth surface. It's very smooth, and I guess I'll find out about the durability in a few years. I am very pleased with this razor. When saving WTG, it shaves as well as my Merkur HD. However, the head is a bit slimmer, and it does a better job under my nose. When used with a Personna Hospital Blade, it shaves ATG better than any other combination I have tried. And both razor and blade are both made in the USA.

I have an inventory of the Personna's as well as a number of others (Derby, Iridium, Wilkinson, etc.). For now, I am using the Merkur with the other blades for the first pass, and the Weber with the Personna when I shave ATG. I am getting very smooth shaves, with less irritation, using this combination of razors and blades. I am using up my "other" on the less critical pass, and using the "super" blades where they provide the most added value. When I use up my inventory of "others" I plan to use the Personna Hospitals exclusively - unless something better comes along.

This works for me - your mileage may vary.
:a54:

A quick question about your Weber - I got the DLC version and it is indeed a very smooth shaver no matter what blade I put in it, but I find the process of changing the blade very frustrating. It seems to have very loose guides for the blade and I have to line up the blade by eye every time otherwise it ends up with grotesquely uneven exposure. Do you find that as well?

A quick question about your Weber - I got the DLC version and it is indeed a very smooth shaver no matter what blade I put in it, but I find the process of changing the blade very frustrating. It seems to have very loose guides for the blade and I have to line up the blade by eye every time otherwise it ends up with grotesquely uneven exposure. Do you find that as well?

No...

I have the Bulldog DLC,what I do when putting in a new blade:

1.Lay a towel on a counter,put the cap on it and drop a new blade onto the cap
2.Keeping the razor's head down on the towel,throw on the base plate and screw the handle halfway on.
3.Shake the razor a little side to side to let the blade naturally center itself on the pins,then finish screwing on the handle
4.Turn razor upright and check blade alignment.... (alignment's perfect almost every time)

Hi Razorx: If I am able 2 apply a blade in my EJ89L with no problems that should also be the same whenever I purchase the Weber DLC. Correct??

WARHAWK

Hey Warhawk...

I've never used an E.Jagger but I'd have to think it shouldn't be any more tricky toget good blade alignment with a Weber.Maybe someone who's tried 'em both can chime in.

...I got the DLC version and it is indeed a very smooth shaver no matter what blade I put in it...

that's what I love about the weber.
And about blade change - not an issue - it is just like any other 3-piece that I have.

hrm. Looks like my piece might be defective then. I did write to Ed, but he seemed to think the tolerance was "normal". I will take some pics and post here as well send to Ed

I have found that with the black DLC head, and a metalic blade (as they all are), the color contrast sometimes causes something of an optical illusion that makes me think the blade alignment might not be right... but a quick examination reveals that the blade is actually centered.

Ive tried All three , EJ89 and Weber Arc Classic Handle and bull dog handle with ARC head and EJ89 head as well and no problems what so ever :eek:)

Last edited:
I have found that with the black DLC head, and a metalic blade (as they all are), the color contrast sometimes causes something of an optical illusion that makes me think the blade alignment might not be right... but a quick examination reveals that the blade is actually centered.

Nope definitely not an illusion in my case. I'll post pictures

Thats what I loveeeeeee about my EJ89, Never, ever, not even a single time in 18+ months of multiple blades changes, have I ever experienced an uneven blade gap, EVER....Ive even tried to intentionally do it, and it still doesnt go uneven. Period, end of story. I cannot comment on this razor though, as I have never tried one, but in theory, yes, one should be able to put a 3pc, 2pc, tto, together and not have to continually move the blade around to get it even, jmo. .02 cents, dont spend it all in on place. ;)

My Weber with the Bulldog handle came in today. DLC head. First impression: This thing is heavy! It looks good. Excellent finish. First shave with it coming up!

Here is a picture of my infamous Weber - please let me know if you think the blade is grotesquely out of whack. Its frustrating trying to line it up by eye as I'm tightening the cap..

$weber.jpg

Hmm, that's too bad. I was considering buying a Weber down the road...
It goes 2 show U that no product is perfect but I would not let that deter U away from the Weber razor. However...I would definitely contact them so that they can correct it.

WARHAWK

It goes 2 show U that no product is perfect but I would not let that deter U away from the Weber razor. However...I would definitely contact them so that they can correct it.

From all the threads I've read on a number of boards, I've never seen a similar issue with an EJ, Merkur, etc., especially not from something in this price range. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone's had an issue like this with another brand of razor?

I know there have been finish issues with the Merkur, for example, but not an issue where the entire blade is loaded crooked.

Top Bottom