What's new

How to: Basic Cleaning/Fixing Of A Stuck Faboy/Slim Adjustable Mechanism

B&B gets the occasional member who encounters an old and dirty Fatboy or Slim with a stuck mechanism. Many times you open the razor to find an ancient blade that can be 30-50 years old. Along with the blade you have corrosion and soap scum from a bygone era. Also, the adjustment dial wont click at all. Instead of giving up on it there are basic steps you can take to try to salvage it. These adjustables sometimes go untouched on the 'bay or at old shops. Give them a chance!
This isn't how to overhaul an adjustable. I don't have that expertise as some of our gifted members and there are other links with amazing step by step instructions on how to do so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67G61jYHSEU.
I'm mostly inept with most mechanical things so this is aimed at newbies that struggle with the mechanical basics of the Gillette adjustables. Please provide input with tips so we can use this as a resource.
As you'll see with this example, the plating is pretty much shot. It's not pretty but like remodeling/rebuilding a classic car, fixing and cleaning what's under the hood is more important. Most likely, this Slim will be replated to it's old glory but for now, it will serve as an example.
The cleaning products I use are aimed for nickel plating. Please don't try this with gold. This is the method that I use and as the saying goes, there are different ways to skin a cat. Special thanks to Dave (Onotoman) for the tips he gave me a while back and to B&B members who set me on the right path...
If you can't move the adjustment dial, DON'T force it........yet. Repeat these steps before doing so.

Steps:
1. Gather cleaning material and tools: Scrubbing Bubbles (Lyme A-Way also works great), small hammer covered with a soft cloth to avoid scratches (I used a watchmaker's hammer with a plastic tip), stiff brush (denture brush is nice and stiff without leaving scratches), Blue Magic or Maas as a final polish, kettle or pot to boil water.
2. Heat water to near boil.
3. As water boils, open silo doors and spray with scrubbing bubbles.
4. When bubbles subside, use brush to brush off scum. Repeat steps 3-4 twice (or as needed). Do not let SB solution stay on razor for prolonged periods of time.
5. As water comes to a near boil (near boil) add water to bowl along with the razor and Scrubbing Bubbles solution.
6. Let it cool for about 10-15 minutes.
7. When water is cool enough to touch, use brush to clean razor thoroughly once again.
8. Place razor in solution again and get your small hammer.
9. Gently tap the bottom adjustment plate upward by tapping both ends of the plate.
10. Tap the top adjustment plate, the part you see from inside the silo doors (you can see them pretrude from the oval slots).
11. Repeat steps 9-10 until the adjustment plate can freely move up and down.
12. Attempt to move the adjustment dial, if you can't, use a cloth and pliers to GENTLY (did I mention GENTLY) click in place. If it spins freely, you are in trouble and I can't help you there. But if it starts to click on each adjustment dial # you're good.
13. If steps 10-12 worked for you, srub razor once more and thoroughly rinse.
14. Dry with soft cloth and let it dry sitting on its silo doors.
15. If needed, place razor head down in a small cup and put mineral oil to lubricate mechanism. Allow oil to soak for 20 minutes. When done, clean razor with dish soap until razor is not greasy to touch. This is OPTIONAL.
16. After all of these steps, polish with Maas or Blue Magic.
17. Disinfect with your own method (dish soap, barbicide, etc.)
18. Load her up with your favorite blade and enjoy.

$cln1.jpg$cln2.jpg$clnsuplies.jpg$clnscrbubbles.jpg$clnboil.jpg

Last edited:
Good tip. May I also add that the restoration process is one of baby steps. Like a museum curator one brings these back to life minute by minute. I've blown a few finishes by leaving it in a too strong solutions thinking 100% @ x minutes will be "quicker ". Wrong. Like shaving it's a gradual reduction of grime.

It's true, you've got to take your time. The great thing about old Gillette's (vintage American made products in general) is that they were built really well. They can withstand some tinkering and readjustment.

Thanks for the credit above Krona :) Those British Aristocrats - and just about anything 'Made in Sheffield' is pretty durable too.

It's true, you've got to take your time. The great thing about old Gillette's (vintage American made products in general) is that they were built really well. They can withstand some tinkering and readjustment.

Yes! I have to give credit to the English Gillettes (my new infatuation). Nothing like mid 20th century English made products. Things were built with pride and care before the terminal disposable culture took the ugly turn it's taken........

Top Bottom