What's new

I think I caught RAD

I think I caught RAD from you guys. I didn't know it was transmitted over bits and bytes or I would have taken protective measures. :) Anyway, I bought three razors the other day from an antiques mall. One is a thick handle gold Gillette Tech and the other 2 are Gillette Super Speeds. One of the SSs is a 1958 and the other is either a 48 or a 49. I love the handle on the older one. I hate the plastic knob on the 1958 model, yuck, but it was only $5. They have identical heads so they should shave the same. The 48/49 model is missing a little cosmetic plate (not plating) on the side of the head. I don't think it should affect the shave at all. Together, all three razors cost me $29 after tax. So now I have 5 razors and I still want to try more.

$WP_000271.jpg$WP_000272.jpg

Congratulations on the scores! But I don't understand what you mean about a plastic knob on the '58 Super Speed. I don't believe Gillette ever made a flare-tip razor of any kind with a plastic TTO knob. It's hard for me to say for sure by looking at your photos, but I would think that your 58 there is either a regular flare-tip with some old crud in the knurling of the knob, or a Red Tip with a few traces of the original paint still on the knob. If you could post another photo or two centered on that razor so we can see the details better, we fiends of B&B could give you a definite identification.

And, I might add, if that is in fact a Red Tip, then $5 was an excellent price!

Hmmm. I'll have to take more pictures when I get home. I do know the head is identical to the older one, not shorter like some of the others I've seen. I I could be wrong about the knob being plastic. It just feels that way to me and i thought all the flare tips were plastic. I do know that it is really dark in some of the grooves of the knob so now that i think about it that probably is corrosion that i couldn't clean out. I would think plastic would clean up nicer. Regardless, I don't care for the look of the knob.

Curses. I had a '55 flare, and a 67(?) Slim adjustable both in user quality. Not bad shape but a bit of plate loss on them. Used those for a while with shaving foam and gave up for a while until i decided to splurge and got an EJ DE89. Now I just got a 40's superspeed a week and a half ago, liked it so much i got one in really nice shape(though not shelf/display level). Used that through the weekend and I'm already looking at Tech's and wishing i could afford a Rocket or Aristocrat Jr! What have you people done to me!

Would like to try a Rocket or Aristocrat Jr but my guess is they're not worth the money. If I stumble upon one at a great price, will test my hypothesis.

Enjoy your razors. Cleaning out the gunk is half the fun. Try them with many different blades. Be patient. And remember faceprep and the quality of your lather are more important than razor or blade.

Last edited:
Would like to try a Rocket or Aristocrat Jr but my guess is they're not worth the money. If I stumble upon one at a great price, will test my hypothesis.

Enjoy your razors. Cleaning out the gunk is half the fun. Try them with many different blades. Be patient. And remember faceprep and the quality of your lather is more important than razor or blade.

Never say never, you'll find one eventually if you keep your eyes open.

Never say never, you'll find one eventually if you keep your eyes open.

It's that optimism that keeps me stopping at yard sales, hoping to find a NIB bottom dialer or President or God-knows-what. So far, I've not found razors but in their place have enjoyed some very pleasant conversations.

Curses. I had a '55 flare, and a 67(?) Slim adjustable both in user quality. Not bad shape but a bit of plate loss on them. Used those for a while with shaving foam and gave up for a while until i decided to splurge and got an EJ DE89. Now I just got a 40's superspeed a week and a half ago, liked it so much i got one in really nice shape(though not shelf/display level). Used that through the weekend and I'm already looking at Tech's and wishing i could afford a Rocket or Aristocrat Jr! What have you people done to me!

Now is a great time to try a GEM 1912 single edge.
Before you spend all your money on DE :wink:

Congratulations on the scores! But I don't understand what you mean about a plastic knob on the '58 Super Speed. I don't believe Gillette ever made a flare-tip razor of any kind with a plastic TTO knob. It's hard for me to say for sure by looking at your photos, but I would think that your 58 there is either a regular flare-tip with some old crud in the knurling of the knob, or a Red Tip with a few traces of the original paint still on the knob. If you could post another photo or two centered on that razor so we can see the details better, we fiends of B&B could give you a definite identification.

And, I might add, if that is in fact a Red Tip, then $5 was an excellent price!

It's definitely not a red tip. The knurling on the red tip is completely unique among Gillettes. It's actually a Gillette Super Speed. Judging by how low the groove sits above the twist-open knob, it's from the 1960's.

Nice haul, BTW. Great starter set! Rock the RAD, my friend. :thumbup:

Top Bottom