What's new

Healthy sunblock: Recommendations?

I'll provide a little counter-balance to this thread by posting this link!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/021903.html

Of course, I don't think going out and baking and getting burnt are healthy, but I try to limit the damage other ways-----wear a hat, limit time in the sun, wear a shirt, etc. As we hear of this causing cancer and that causing cancer, it's hard to look at a long list of long chemical names on sunscreen without a red flag waving in my mind!!

I won't say I NEVER wear it, but it's seldom, and only when I'm going to be in a lot of sun for a long time. A physical block is still the best-----hat, shirt, etc.

Re: that "article": wow. just wow.

I'll provide a little counter-balance to this thread by posting this link!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/021903.html

Of course, I don't think going out and baking and getting burnt are healthy, but I try to limit the damage other ways-----wear a hat, limit time in the sun, wear a shirt, etc. As we hear of this causing cancer and that causing cancer, it's hard to look at a long list of long chemical names on sunscreen without a red flag waving in my mind!!

I won't say I NEVER wear it, but it's seldom, and only when I'm going to be in a lot of sun for a long time. A physical block is still the best-----hat, shirt, etc.

Wow, I cannot believe this thread extended for another 2 pages. I got Elta MD and it has been working marvelously. It is not straight up all natural zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as I have hoped, but it fills in many of the criteria that I look for in sunblocks. It drys matte, easy to rub on, and seems to provide some good protection. I run outside in the Arizona sun and this sun block is up to snuff. Granted, I have only been using this for about a week.

Hahaha, funny how it works out! I've been using this stuff for years...because you started this thread, and I got up with greenerock, I'm now waiting on an 8oz bottle of my Sport 50 for $28...that's $17 less (+tax) than I would've paid in my Derm's office and HE got a $10 spiff from Dermstore.com....

the Thank You goes to you and Badger & Blade!

So how does one get this spiff for the dermstore?

Reside in a high uv area. Doctor recommended sunscreen with the following active ingredients:

Octinoxate 7.5%
Octocrylene 8.0%
Zinc Oxide 6.86%

There are different brands with these active ingredients such as: CVS, Neutrogena and Coppertone, etc. Currently using CVS which works well.

There is a lot of misinformation about sunscreens. The SPF rating is just for UVB rays, which are not the bad ones. UVA rays are much worse, cause skin aging and cancer. UVB on the other hand, in moderate dosage are beneficial, because they also make your body produce vitamin D3. So, in the first place, you should look for sunscreens with excellent or good UVA protection, and also excellent sun stability.
Mexitan ones (and Dr. Mercola which are produced by Mexitan) are among the best ones, but there other ones with better UVA protection, like True Naturals Active Sunscreen SPF 40 or Loving Naturals Clear Body SPF 30+

These have superior UVA protection, compared to Mexitan ones.

Kiss My Face Face & Neck Face Factor with SPF 30. Awkward name, right? All natural, with plenty of good stuff your face needs (antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, moisturizers, and full spectrum sun protection). Product is packaged to limit access to air, light, and fingers.

So, I honestly think the Elta MD may be giving me a rash.

About a week and a half ago, I noticed that the base of my neck was red and flaky. Often, it would sting during the day. Initially, I thought it was from shaving and not using a moisturizer afterwards, but today I noticed that the rash has spread to the back of my neck. I definitely DON'T shave the back of my neck (and never have) and I only, just recently, started applying the sunblock to the back of my neck. I have done nothing else different with my skincare routine or diet in months. The only other thing I can think of that might be causing the rash is that it's been unusually hot lately and I've been sweating a lot. Maybe the excess perspiration is causing it. That seems less likely, though.

I am going to stop using the Elta for a while and see if it clears up. Bummer.

total bummer. i'm 2 weeks in to Elta MD shield and haven't had any rash or breakouts. I use it after my shave and then splash on whatever AS I'd like. Maybe a different Elta MD subtype might work?
I did see that bot h Neutrogena and Coopertone now have "Clear Faces" labels in CVS which are oil free and geared for the face. May be worth a try with not too much expense.

I know the OP already picked up what he was looking for, but I'll go ahead and throw plain ol' Coconut Oil in the mix as a great natural skin protector from long exposure to the sun's rays. Proper sun exposure though is extremely healthy as it's the best way to obtain Vitamin D.

I am surprised this thread is still going. I guess you guys are really concerned about sunscreen. I bought the Elta MD UV Shield SPF 45 8 oz. and have been using it for a while now. I am very satisfied with the product. Just for background information, I don't go outside much or tan or etc. I just needed it as basic protection when I am outside, such as commuting jogging outside. Elta MD works great for my daily use, but I also use other protection. Specifically when I am exercising, I wear clothing with UPF factors for additional protection as well.

So ya, Elta MD works great for pretty much all application; whether it is daily use or a day at the beach. I hope this thread helps many people who read it.

total bummer. i'm 2 weeks in to Elta MD shield and haven't had any rash or breakouts. I use it after my shave and then splash on whatever AS I'd like. Maybe a different Elta MD subtype might work?
I did see that bot h Neutrogena and Coopertone now have "Clear Faces" labels in CVS which are oil free and geared for the face. May be worth a try with not too much expense.

Yeah. No one is more surprised than me. Appearance wise, the rash is almost like poison ivy, sans the oozing - red, flaky, rough and hard to the touch, not smooth. It feels all right today, but there have been days when it was really stinging and painful. I assumed it was razor burn, but now that it's on the back of my neck, I know it can't be that.

It's weird, because I used the Elta MD Shield for a month and a half with no problems and then, out of nowhere, sometime last week, the rash showed up.

I'm going back to my Neutrogena Oil Free SPF 15, which is, I think, oxybenzone. I'm not wild about that, but I'm going to give it a week or so to see if the rash clears.

So...

I really only stopped with the Elta for a day or so and then went back to using it. The rash went away and has not returned. I have no idea what caused it, since the Elta hasn't given me any problems during the following two weeks.

So, I'm revising my revision and am back to +1'ing Elta MD. Unless I turn into a zombie in the next couple of weeks. Actually, that might be pretty sweet.

Top Bottom