What's new

Just finished my first soap puck...

That's quite the feat since you started at the same time I did,
I am not even close to completing one of my pucks, or creams, or croaps.
I think I have a problem haha I just seem to keep collecting, I am sure I have a few creams/soaps I haven't tried yet

That's quite the feat since you started at the same time I did,
I am not even close to completing one of my pucks, or creams, or croaps.
I think I have a problem haha I just seem to keep collecting, I am sure I have a few creams/soaps I haven't tried yet

I don't buy soaps very often so I just use the Razorock ones I have, the Proraso, and the Col Conk. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a lot more than I do so if you use different ones more often it will obviously take you longer :) BUT you get a bigger variety than I do :)

I don't buy soaps very often so I just use the Razorock ones I have, the Proraso, and the Col Conk. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a lot more than I do so if you use different ones more often it will obviously take you longer :) BUT you get a bigger variety than I do :)

Yah its quite a sickness to collect this many soaps/creams I have finally restrained myself until start finishing product off. I think its gonna take me years to go through all the soap/cream I have but its okay, just gotta keep the stuff I like and sell/give away the stuff I dont. Its a vicious cycle esp since all these recommended ones people make are always great.

It was Col Conk's Bay Rum. Over all I enjoyed it.
So you joined in February and just finished your first puck in May. That's 3 months from one puck. Not bad.
I was looking into MWF since it gets rave reviews on here but I can't imagine plopping down 30 plus bucks just for shave soap.
As noted above, you are amortizing the cost of a soap over 3 months, or about 90 shaves. $10/month to stay in soap doesn't sound that bad now, does it. As others have pointed out, you can usually get refills to use in your own containers far less expensively than to get the whole set. The l'Occittane CADE refill puck sells for $12 and they want $28 for the bowl.
Any suggestions on something other than Razorock but less than 20 bucks you feel might be better than Col Conk?
I have had good success with the following:
Mama Bear - Both Aged Spice and Brute scents. Lathered well for about $10.
Parker - I used the sandalwood scent. Lathered the same or better than Col. Conk for $8.
Van der Hagen Luxury - Lathers great. It's available at Target and many other locations for about $4.
Vand der Hagen Deluxe - Lathers good. Scent is kind of mild, under $3 and widely available in big box stores

Wanting something "better" is very subjective. Can you provide specifics about what way you want another soap to be "better than Col Conk"? Are you looking for a lower cost (Williams), different scent (Arko), easier lathering (can of goo), or something else?

I heard the name Proraso so much I decided to try it. It's Menthol and Eucalyptus overload.

My wife walked in to the bathroom and asked why I was shaving with BenGay. I don't care for it much.

Congratulations on your first finished puck! I think that Conk Bay Rum was my first also.

There are some good suggestions in already, no need for me to add to those. Don't worry about the size of the puck, they all transfer nicely into whatever container you have with a little cutting or grating.

I will say that you don't need to think of the next soap as a step up from your original Conk. Yes, there are many soaps that offer advantages over Conk soaps, but the Col Conk soaps are still good performers. I have been fortunate enough to try a lot of different soaps and creams, yet Conk remains in my rotation and I certainly enjoy using it more than some of the more expensive alternatives. Just don't try the lime.

I heard the name Proraso so much I decided to try it. It's Menthol and Eucalyptus overload.

My wife walked in to the bathroom and asked why I was shaving with BenGay. I don't care for it much.

I might need to try that out someday...I actually LIKE the smell of Bengay, lol.

EDIT: I've thought about giving VDH Deluxe a try just because I can get it at wal-mart for like $1.60.

The VanDerHagen Luxury soap was the first soap I finished. I've since moved onto Mystic Water Shaving soap ($9 for refill or $12 with tub + $3.50 shipping). Great all natural soap that produces amazing lather. I recommend trying the lily of the valley scent.

Although my true favorite soap now is Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn shave soap. All natural and the peachy scent is like nothing else. The puck is only 2.5 oz for around $9 for refill and $15 with travel case. Excellent soap at a decent price.

Assuming I'd have to grate those into my Old Spice mug as they are larger then Col Conk?

As long as the soap isn't triple-milled you can take a jack knife and cut the excess soap off of the puck, working your way around the circle. You then place the shavings in the bottom of your cup and place the puck on top. I haven't tried a triple-milled soap to be able to say whether it can be cut or not, the hardest puck I have tried is Tabac and that cut really easily.

I love my C&E sienna soap as well as my cade would always suggest it,.. and since i have just got few suggestions thrown my way you may want to try calani or klar seifen soaps royalshave.com has them all are great choices

+1 for C&E Sienna my go to so far.

I remember the first soap I finished: it was a puck of Tabac.
A couple of soaps that are worth checking out that haven't been mentioned yet are Valobra and AoS.

depends on if you had the small or the large conks too i think the large conks are standard size but the dollar stores usually have lots of options for putting soaps into from cheap plastic stuff to ceramic dishes

I don't use Conk but from Connaught's site their sizes are 65g and 100g. 65g is about the size of a 12oz coffee mug and about a third the height. 100g could either be taller or bigger around (for comparison my 125g Tabac puck was just a smigen bigger around than my coffee mug, easy to trim). As far as I have heard and read all of the Conks except Almond (which according to Conk's labeling is not a "glycerine" soap) can be melted and poured into your favorite mug or bowl if needed.

As long as the soap isn't triple-milled you can take a jack knife and cut the excess soap off of the puck, working your way around the circle. You then place the shavings in the bottom of your cup and place the puck on top. I haven't tried a triple-milled soap to be able to say whether it can be cut or not, the hardest puck I have tried is Tabac and that cut really easily.

Why can't I cut the soap, push it into the Old Spice mug and just jam the cut pieces into and around the puck in the mug?

Top Bottom