What's new

What's the secret to your BBS shave?

What kind of shave are you going for/expect every day?

• BBS - Baby Butt Smooth

• DFS - Damn Fine Shave

• CCS - Close, comfortable shave.

• SAS - Socially Acceptable Shave

Results are only viewable after voting.
After shaving traditionally for a month, my standards for what constitutes a BBS have risen. They may still be going up. Since there's no clear definition of BBS, we may not all be speaking of the same thing.

Less than a week ago, I got the shave that sets my current BBS standard. I've matched it once but not exceeded yet. There was virtually no stubble anywhere, including under my jawline, and almost zero razor burn. For me, a close shave with a ton of razor burn isn't BBS. In fact, it's not even DFS. People won't notice the closeness of my shave but they sure will notice the red patches on my neck.

What worked for me was:

1) Really thorough prep (including thick, moist lather -- left on my face for two full minutes before a relather and first pass).
2) First two passes (WTG & XTG) with a mild razor like a Tech or a DE89l loaded with a moderately sharp but smooth blade (for me, an Astra).
3) ATG pass with my Fat Boy, loaded with a Feather, set to 6.
4) Touch up under the jaw line with the Fat Boy (plus Feather) set to 9.
5) Very light pressure, particularly with the Fat Boy set to 9.
6) Witch hazel followed by a light coating of balm.

After shaving traditionally for a month, my standards for what constitutes a BBS have risen. They may still be going up. Since there's no clear definition of BBS, we may not all be speaking of the same thing.

Less than a week ago, I got the shave that sets my current BBS standard. I've matched it once but not exceeded yet. There was virtually no stubble anywhere, including under my jawline, and almost zero razor burn. For me, a close shave with a ton of razor burn isn't BBS. In fact, it's not even DFS. People won't notice the closeness of my shave but they sure will notice the red patches on my neck.

Perhaps we could also help each other understand the definitions.
First, It should be understood that razor burn shouldn't be considered a part of a daily shave.

A Baby Butt Smooth shave is pretty easy to define. If you don't know - go find a baby! This would be for all the shaved areas.
Socially Acceptable Shave, as I understand, is pretty much a WTG pass, as long as everything is lined up and we've hit all the spots. It looks good enough to go to work/out.
Close, Comfortable Shave, I think, is user defined... Each of us has a definition for "comfortable".
and,
Damn Fine Shave... Maybe looks and feels good but not BBS?

Your secrets to a BbS shave and your definition for the shave types...

What is bull frogging?

I am sorry Johnny. But remember that continent of Africa exist too even though I've never seen it, or felt it, in person.
it's the opposite of skin-stretching. rather than lifting my chin up, i push my chin down, which pushes the flesh of my neck out and reduces most of the curvature in the neck area that makes many spots hard to reach. i am basically trying to make my neck look like this, though it doesn't naturally:
http://archderm.ama-assn.org/content/vol146/issue11/images/medium/dob05016f2.jpg

I aim for dfs, as mentioned above I do get the feeling that we are working with different definitions. Even with bbs, I'm not convinced that if I was allowed a bit of rubbing and skin stretching on some of the bbs claims I would be in agreement. Who knows.

What's with all this baby's butt nonsense? I was under the impression this was a gentleman's forum and gentleman get bbs, billiard ball smooth, shaves.

it's the opposite of skin-stretching. rather than lifting my chin up, i push my chin down, which pushes the flesh of my neck out and reduces most of the curvature in the neck area that makes many spots hard to reach. i am basically trying to make my neck look like this, though it doesn't naturally:
http://archderm.ama-assn.org/content/vol146/issue11/images/medium/dob05016f2.jpg

This is maybe the best example of YMMV I've ever seen posted. No way on earth could a skinny guy like me get my neck to do that.

I was probably 50% serious.

I'm sure of you guys are helluva shavers, no doubt. But still, people must have different understanding of the concept BBS, if they claim to be BBS for 24 hours or get it with a single pass. My beard doesn't grow particularly fast, but if I some day would succeed in actual BBS, it would not be that in an hour.

The only way I can get a BBS is to shave pre-shower, and after letting my beard grow for three or four days. At this length it is like a #1 clipper setting. Don't know why, but it is the most comfortable and closest shave that way.

Merkur 38c slant + Personna "lab" blade + any good cream + a careful 3-pass shave. I love the slant, but after I use it, I barely have any stubble after 18 hours. Wicked close.

No secrets, only tried and tested BandB methods. First off -- the previous shave can't be a BBS -- for some reason I need a little bit of stubble to mow down first. So I average 2-3 BBS's a week. Pretty simple routine: shower while brush soaks in warm water and soap softens with a tsp of warm water on top; load brush quickly with thin soapy lather to keep face moist and start softening whilst I really load the brush up; apply warm washcloth and quick splash; dab Proraso Pre/Post and rub in gently; then lather up, paying particular attention to keeping brush wet (Proraso is a bit anhydrous); Feather set to 7-9 on Fatboy for WTG pass (NOT necessarily N-S); rinse, relather and set Fatboy to 4-6 for XTG pass; then touch up with ATG/J-Hook/Buffing. Finish with cold water rinse and Witch Hazel, and ASB of my choice.

I've found just two key variables: Immediately after shower getting some lather, even if thin and watery, quickly on beard before it dries; and keeping lots of soap on my face. My shaves are much messier than, say, Mantic's videos, but it all goes down the drain...

Edit: I'll add that I use at most 1 TBSP of water, mostly applied to tips of brush by lightly dipping in sink. Too much water in the wrong place (in the breach of the brush!) is a bad thing.

What's with all this baby's butt nonsense? I was under the impression this was a gentleman's forum and gentleman get bbs, billiard ball smooth, shaves.

Ha! I agree.

I don't have kids, but the very few occasions when I've had contact with a baby's butt have been odoriferous and messy. Not quite the connotations I'd like to have while shaving.

I don't go for BBS to the chance of the irritation, but I always get at least a DFS.

I'm a firm believer that after your technique has improved the key to any shave is the pressure thing. Once you get the pressure under control, really good shaves follow.

I aim for dfs, as mentioned above I do get the feeling that we are working with different definitions. Even with bbs, I'm not convinced that if I was allowed a bit of rubbing and skin stretching on some of the bbs claims I would be in agreement. Who knows.

BBS. No palpable stuble ATG or any direction with no irritation. Lasts over 4hrs. Been doing it for years. Keep trying.

Gus

This is maybe the best example of YMMV I've ever seen posted. No way on earth could a skinny guy like me get my neck to do that.
LOL - kinda jealous that I can't do that, but I do attempt something like a bullfrog when I drop my chin and get extra next stubble that way.

I'm sure of you guys are helluva shavers, no doubt. But still, people must have different understanding of the concept BBS, if they claim to be BBS for 24 hours or get it with a single pass. My beard doesn't grow particularly fast, but if I some day would succeed in actual BBS, it would not be that in an hour.
I get about 8 hours. During that time I can't help but to occasionally touch my face in awe and wonder. I love it!

Ha! I agree.

I don't have kids, but the very few occasions when I've had contact with a baby's butt have been odoriferous and messy. Not quite the connotations I'd like to have while shaving.
LOL

I don't go for BBS to the chance of the irritation, but I always get at least a DFS.

I'm a firm believer that after your technique has improved the key to any shave is the pressure thing. Once you get the pressure under control, really good shaves follow.
+1 - with you 100% on this! For me the technique I needed to work on was the pressure. Once I got that under control BBS became easy!

BBS = cannot feel stubble anywhere on your face and neck in any direction immediately following your shave. Yes you can get it with one pass, and I have yet to hear of any objective reason why this is not possible. It lasts as long as it lasts, this is a function of beard growth, not how close the shave was.

That's my definition too. If you can do it, good for you. That's one hell of a feat in my opinion. Do you do it ATG? Would love if you answered without NaturalPass(tm) because I don't understand the concept.

If you say that after shave your face is as smooth as that of, say, your wife, and without irritation I do believe you. And appreciate your skills.

Top Bottom