What's new

What's the secret to your BBS shave?

What kind of shave are you going for/expect every day?

• BBS - Baby Butt Smooth

• DFS - Damn Fine Shave

• CCS - Close, comfortable shave.

• SAS - Socially Acceptable Shave

Results are only viewable after voting.
For me, the secret (after learning proper lathering and face prep) is to always, always use light pressure. Even though I may be tempted to use more pressure on a particular spot, I resist that urge and simply approach the hairs from a different direction. My secret to getting a BBS shave every single day is simply by knowing, in minute detail, the grain of my own face. Once I know that, I maintain a nice, steady pressure all over, even my neck. Thinking I had sensitive skin, I used to get terrible razor burn. I don't know if my skin has "toughened" or my technique has improved but I know that, unless I use too much pressure, I never get razor burn anymore.

Hope that helps.

I found that using a mild astringent like Sea Breeze or a good face scrub to remove oil and dirt from my face allows for a a softer beard when I apply hot water. I also use PREP Pre/Post Shave Cream before I apply any shave soap. Just like everything else in this world good or bad preparation dictates the outcome.

I don't think I've ever gotten a BBS in about 30 years of shaving. Sure, I've gotten parts of my face to be BBS, but never everywhere. I'm quite happy with my DFSs, thank you :adoration:

+1 on the comment, though I do get an occasional total BBS. My secret? I honestly think I shall never know. But for those lucky enough to have them on tap, nice.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hmmm...let me see...my daily routine for a CCS?
proxy.php

1. Wash and prep my face with Cetaphil Antibacterial Soap (by loading my Natural Bristle Brush brush with Cetaphil soap then scrub my face in a circular motion...works great for ingrown hairs).

2. Brush teeth.

2. Hot washcloth (water), on face for 1-2 minutes.

3. Face lather with VDH Deluxe Soap.

4. Shave - 1st Pass (WTG)

5. Re-lather

6. Shave - 2nd Pass (CTG)

6. Re-lather

7. Shave - 3rd Pass (ATG)

8. Touch-ups with razor if needed.

9. Rinse.

10. Shower.

11. Apply deodorant.

12. Apply Clubman Citrus Musk Eau de Cologne.

attachment.php
“Life is [like] a razor, you arealways in hot water or a scrape”. Anonymous

Now my weekly routine you say?
proxy.php

I was shaving my 'nogging' once a week (Sundays), using either my Merkur's 23C OR 38C and Shark SC blades, but now have changed to using single-blade disposables for speed and convenience and actually get a BBS headshave (Yeah Baby!!!), without any problems, nicks and bumps. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Don't ask the barber whether you need a haircut [or shave]". Daniel S. Greenberg

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I generally get at least a small bbs on some very wiry whiskers. The only "secret" I have learned is that if something isn't right you need to stop & fix it. Doing 4 & 1/2 passes when you've only generated enough thin lather to shave a peach is a no-no, as is keeping on when the blade you expected had one more shave on it starts tugging, or worse, when a brand new blade is pulling. It is a PIB to make new/more lather, or to dry off the hands to get a new blade in place, but I have never regretted doing either; I have regretted going ahead with one of the elements obviously off

I love seeing that many of the techniques are as individual and diverse as the users. Reading the thread is giving me some ideas...

The secret (honest!) to my BBS: patiently reduce the beard using different angles.

For me, the secret (after learning proper lathering and face prep) is to always, always use light pressure. Even though I may be tempted to use more pressure on a particular spot, I resist that urge and simply approach the hairs from a different direction. My secret to getting a BBS shave every single day is simply by knowing, in minute detail, the grain of my own face. Once I know that, I maintain a nice, steady pressure all over, even my neck. Thinking I had sensitive skin, I used to get terrible razor burn. I don't know if my skin has "toughened" or my technique has improved but I know that, unless I use too much pressure, I never get razor burn anymore.

Hope that helps.

I completely agree with both of you! Slow, no pressure, reduction of growth.

I strive for the closest most comfortable shave I can get every day. Four passes with a final cleanup/buffing where there might be a stray stubble or two. This typically gives me a BBS shave.

Every day I use a different shaving product (soap/cream), a different shave brush, a different lathering technique (face/bowl), a different razor, and a different blade. It does not matter what combination of all this I use. The end shave is always the same.

Today's shave was a long handle progress, 7 o'click yellow, RS cream in a bowl whipped by a BK8
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4102498#post4102498
Yesterday's shave was a short BRW custom progress, feather, wake up! stick, on the face with a Rooney 3XL
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4100356#post4100356
Day before shave was a GEM MM open comb single edge, GEM blade, LaToja cream, face lathered with Duke 2
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4098310#post4098310
Three days ago was short handle super speed, Astra SP, Proraso cream, face lathered with Rooney 3XL
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4095388#post4095388

Everyday is different but every shave is the same....

I voted BBS, but probably should have been DFS. I seldom achieve BBS everywhere, but most of my face will be BBS. There are some spots on my neck and chin that are usually closer to DFS.

Bowl Lather with Cella and a Simpson brush. Take close to a minute to work the first lather into my face. Less time on subsequent passes. 3 pass shave WTG, XTG, ATG, with (usually) a Futur loaded with a Feather. I also use a Progress and a Feather AS razors and SI and Astra blades occasionally.

I often finish with an alum block, mostly because it feels good. I also lets me know if I have more or less irritation, since it kind of magnifies it. Almost always end with alcohol based after shave, usually Renew.

For me...a pass WTG and another XTG is usually sufficient to get a very nice shave. Oftentimes I will do a third pass ATG, usually from my jawline and up. When I go ATG in my lower neck area, I generally pick up a weeper or two; or get a touch of razor burn. The only person who can tell the difference is myself and perhaps my wife. When she feels my face, it's generally above my jawline, not below, so all is well.

I strive for the closest most comfortable shave I can get every day. Four passes with a final cleanup/buffing where there might be a stray stubble or two. This typically gives me a BBS shave.

Every day I use a different shaving product (soap/cream), a different shave brush, a different lathering technique (face/bowl), a different razor, and a different blade. It does not matter what combination of all this I use. The end shave is always the same.

Today's shave was a long handle progress, 7 o'click yellow, RS cream in a bowl whipped by a BK8
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4102498#post4102498
Yesterday's shave was a short BRW custom progress, feather, wake up! stick, on the face with a Rooney 3XL
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4100356#post4100356
Day before shave was a GEM MM open comb single edge, GEM blade, LaToja cream, face lathered with Duke 2
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4098310#post4098310
Three days ago was short handle super speed, Astra SP, Proraso cream, face lathered with Rooney 3XL
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...blade-did-you-use-today?p=4095388#post4095388

Everyday is different but every shave is the same....
Exactly, years of perfecting proper technique and you can use almost anything.

Gus

personally, i have 2 "secrets" to a BBS irritation-free shave. these are things i had to discover purely on my own. well, the first isn't, but it was so hard to understand in its literal form until i just did it despite extreme inefficiency:

(1) absolutely zero pressure, even though it makes the razor skip and catch, and i have to swipe over the same spot often 5 or more times in order to mow all the whiskers down. it's still vastly superior to even the slightest bit of pressure.
(2) bullfrog neck on my XTG pass. if i don't reduce the stubble a lot on my wtg/xtg passes, my ATG pass will be brutal. if i bullfrog my neck when shaving xtg, i can get the stubble way down and set myself up to get that last perfect smoothness with a final ATG pass and not irritate my neck in the process.

Last edited:
Here's the things that work for me - but obviously not for everyone else!... :a2:

1. Shower first, and/or allow a respectable time for lather to soften beard.

2. With either DE or SE, I shave at as low an angle as possible. Mostly razor head or cap against the skin. Using as much pressure as needed to raise skin and stubble up to the edge. (Blades last far longer this way and, for me at least, there is less chance of irritation unless I really screw up on the angle!)

3. Mostly long, steady strokes rather than many short ones. If the angle and pressure are right, I usually don't have to go over and over the same areas per pass, and there's typically enough lubrication remaining without re-lathering for a few repeat strokes. However...

4. I make sure I have been as thorough as possible with both WTG and XTG passes, even if I have to re-lather an area. If I do, the ATG is fine and easy. If I don't, it can lead to irritation and even cuts on the ATG.

5. A fourth pass on the chin, jawline and neck are necessary to get to BBS. This time, short strokes in many directions as dictated by growth directions.

And yeah, it's funny how very different approaches work well for different individuals.

Last edited:
The last two letters of the acronym tells you the nature of that coveted and elusive shave. I just don't believe in it before I see - or rather feel - one. :a49:

I shoot for BBS every day, but end up with DFS most times.

Routine:
Shower
Preshave (gel or oil)
Quick hot towel to the face
WTG with a straight
hot towel then lather
XTG with a straight
hot towel then lather
ATG with a straight
hot towel then lather
Cleanup with a DE
warm towel while I clean equipment
cold towel then alum block
AS then let it dry down a bit
Balm, deodorant and finally the cologne.

I get so close to BBS it isn't even funny, but there are always a couple of trouble spots on the neck I can't get without a blood bath.

personally, i have 2 "secrets" to a BBS irritation-free shave. these are things i had to discover purely on my own. well, the first isn't, but it was so hard to understand in its literal form until i just did it despite extreme inefficiency:

(1) absolutely zero pressure, even though it makes the razor skip and catch, and i have to swipe over the same spot often 5 or more times in order to mow all the whiskers down. it's still vastly superior to even the slightest bit of pressure.
(2) bullfrog neck on my XTG pass. if i don't reduce the stubble a lot on my wtg/xtg passes, my ATG pass will be brutal. if i bullfrog my neck when shaving xtg, i can get the stubble way down and set myself up to get that last perfect smoothness with a final ATG pass and not irritate my neck in the process.

What is bull frogging?

The last two letters of the acronym tells you the nature of that coveted and elusive shave. I just don't believe in it before I see - or rather feel - one. :a49:

I am sorry Johnny. But remember that continent of Africa exist too even though I've never seen it, or felt it, in person.

Top Bottom