What's new

Pipe PIF #3 5/6/2012

Cool, welcome aboard brother. Those crowns are some good looking pipes. You gonna put pictures up in Tobacquistitions?
I can't get no luck! ;)

Congrats guys! I had a feeling I'd be out of luck again. LOL

Soo.... I happened to be within about a mile of David's Briar Shop in Des Moines earlier today, spoke with the proprietor who was there today and picked me up a (hopefully) nice Crown pipe. He had about 4 suggestions for someone starting out, this was the one I liked best, plus it had a flat bottom so if I have to set it down to type something I can place it almost anywhere.

I also picked up two bags of tobacco that he recommended, (Actually he recommended just 1 bag, smoke it up to get a good feel for the pipe and tobacco, but since I'm 70 miles away, he relented when I asked for a 2nd variety.... Kind of sounds like most of the suggestions for "blade sampler" to newbies, pick one and stick to it to learn it well.) and pipe tamper/tool and some pipe cleaners... Now I just have to figure out the rest! ;)

haiku, thank you so much for providing a chance to try a decent first pipe. I will cherish this always, will get it polished right away. In the meantime, I will buy a bag of Captain Black as my first tobacco. I have sent you a PM.

Once again, thank you for your incredible generosity.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm taking a couple weeks off from pipe PIFs, but if you are interested in smoking a pipe there are many local tobacconists still in business. It might be fewer every year, but many can still be found around more populated areas around the country. Check some out and look and feel the pipes in your hand, smell some of the tobacco, and have a talk about pipes with the guy behind the counter.... (Well first ask if they have smoked or currently smoke pipes before taking any real advice from them. I've talked to a few young people working behind the counter at this one place that had no idea what they were talking about.)

A cheap cob and some captain black might cost $10 at most grocery stores or pharmacies, and you can see if the pipe is for you without much effort or expense. It won't be the best smoke ever (in my opinion) but it will give you an idea of the experience. Knowing what you are getting yourself into when smoking a pipe is probably a good idea.

Gentleman's Essentials for Pipe and Cigar (thanks to jwhite for putting it all together)is a great place to find information for most everything pipe related. From packing a bowl to restoration and repair.

Thanks for your generous PIFs, and thanks for helping to make The Brown Leaf a great place for new pipe-smokers.

Very awesome. Congrats Justin! Thanks for the awesome PIF haiku. I'll have to keep wandering over the the brown leaf and building some pipe education. Wife will never be happy about it, but I am completely intrigued!

She might not be so against it... There are worse things out there. I'm going to PIF some more pipes in June. I'm trying to actually plan one out for once, instead of just jumping into it like I usually do.
Very awesome. Congrats Justin! Thanks for the awesome PIF haiku. I'll have to keep wandering over the the brown leaf and building some pipe education. Wife will never be happy about it, but I am completely intrigued!

Top Bottom