What's new

Thoughts from across the pond on vintage ('69?) Williams

It has been on my sink now for just over 2 weeks. Kindly sent to me by member Blondie (thanks again!!) all the way from Texas!

After it came in the mail the first thing I did was comparing the package and puck to all the material gathered in Michiganlover's extended Williams identification thread and there, in post #104, I found my match; same wrapper, same box with fixed $0.19. So 1969 is the date I can stick to my puck, still a bit younger than me but certainly old enough to be a vintage soap!

The scent is gone, if there ever was some, apart from what has been described as tallowy. It reminds me of Cella when you think the almond out and it is neither pleasant nor unpleasant, it just is.

The first lathering was a bit of a mess (the puck is called Williams right?), as I loaded and loaded my brush, took a look, and loaded some more. When I started face lathering I had within seconds my face and brush full of half-ready lather and no place to leave the rest of it! I ended up with enough lather for 3 complete shaves; a mistake I wouldn't make again, what a waste! So yes, it does lather more easy than the current version and in fact, it lathers more easy than most soaps I tried. More importantly the quality of the lather is simply top-notch. This Williams has a huge tolerance for the amount of water you use and you can make it very thick and protective all the way to thin and super-slick but always end up with a very stable lather. Great shaves in my bathroom the last 2 weeks for sure; apart from scent this soap has it all and a lot of respected soaps in my den seem a little pale and cheap (including some upper UK ones...) after this try-out.

Is it better than modern Williams? For the most part yes, though scent and availability of the modern version suit me better. What is more alarming, and also making me a bit sad, is that it basicly outperforms all of my soaps with maybe the exception of EU-Palmolive, Speick, D.R.Harris and Arko. Oh, and the Italian soft soaps (P.160 and Cella) are still standing too. But how can it be that a basic shaving soap from the 60's beats most (reformulated?) soaps from today, regardless of price? I am afraid modern shaving soaps are not put together by men (or women) who use a brush on a regular basis anymore. Economists maybe, but not shavers.

There is just one aspect of modern Williams that beats the vintage one by miles. The old guy doesn't even compete her at all. Vintage Williams is absolutely useless to separate the Lathermeisters from the apprentices, it will not inspire the poets and story-tellers among our members, and will not cause any wars like the great campaigns of '09, '10 and '11.

Oh, and I still like modern Williams a lot but its grandad is awesome. Thanks again Blondie for letting me try!

Harrie

That is exactly why vintage Williams is far and away my favorite soap, it really is something special.

I can see why but I really do prefer a fav soap that is still readily available. What wonders me is that when it could be made back then for little money why it is so hard for a lot of current (luxury) shaving soap makers to make something just as good.

Knowledge is here, money is here, it is just the quality that fails too often.

If you have quality shaving soaps people may start thinking they can get away with using those archaic DE safety razors again.

... What is more alarming, and also making me a bit sad, is that it basicly outperforms all of my soaps with maybe the exception of EU-Palmolive, Speick, D.R.Harris and Arko. Oh, and the Italian soft soaps (P.160 and Cella) are still standing too. But how can it be that a basic shaving soap from the 60's beats most (reformulated?) soaps from today, regardless of price? I am afraid modern shaving soaps are not put together by men (or women) who use a brush on a regular basis anymore. Economists maybe, but not shavers.

Lowered expectations. Through the years of cartridge razors the quality of shaving experience has been gradually lowered to the point where most men I know hate shaving. I was in that group also until I started using DE razors and soap/brush to make lather. I think most top English soaps cater to Wall Street types who never knew good lather. I have been trying the GFT Rose and Floris, both fine soaps, but neither is better than Arko or Cella, but a lot more expensive. I guess in Turkey people still shave with DE razors and the culture of old school shaving is still alive. Italy... Well I am pretty sure Romans invented shaving, so they have deeper rooted traditions. In most other place men are bamboozled into the multi-blade cartridges and canned goop. Strange how a good PR campaign can make people do really silly things...

Now how about those perfectly safe foods containing GMO? They are better, more efficient to grow and cheaper. REALLY!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
There is just one aspect of modern Williams that beats the vintage one by miles. The old guy doesn't even compete her at all. Vintage Williams is absolutely useless to separate the Lathermeisters from the apprentices, it will not inspire the poets and story-tellers among our members, and will not cause any wars like the great campaigns of '09, '10 and '11.

This is true, Topgumby and michiganlover quickly come to mind!

Thanks for the great review, Harrie.

This is true, Topgumby and michiganlover quickly come to mind!

Thanks for the great review, Harrie.

Thanks. I really think modern Williams is part of what B&B looks like today, well at least in the soap forum. Modern Williams will always be the symbol of having a great time overhere, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much (both B&B and Williams)!

I'm glad you enjoyed the soap, and am happy to have been able to provide you with the experience. It truly is amazing how good such a moderately priced soap used to be.

...The first lathering was a bit of a mess (the puck is called Williams right?), as I loaded and loaded my brush, took a look, and loaded some more. ...
I'm currently working on a puck of vintage (1977-82 somewhere) Williams, once or twice a week. It seems to be lasting longer than the puck of current Williams I went through last year. Looks to me like part of the profit strategy for the current version was to remove some of the glycerin and sell it on other markets. The other part, as witnessed by those who claim good lather by using lots of water, lots of product, and more time, is to force the customer to buy it more often. The only way I could use up the current Williams was to mix in some Kiss My Face fragrance free.

Judging from recent prices, I'll not be looking for more vintage Williams once I finish the current puck. There's always Arko sticks, or Derby sticks, and I have a stick of Irisch Moos on the way, for no more, if not less cost per gram than vintage Williams.

Top Bottom