What's new

shavette

there are shavettes which can be used with half DE blades. probably the best solution for DE shavers. gillette made some too and eg tückmar/solingen

Be sure to look at the Parkers. You'll find them much better that the Dovo's. Not only are they better by far, but they cost much less too. The Dovo's have only that plastic insert to hold the blade, where the Parker's are stainless steel and really sturdy.

is there a model that is better than the others. or are they all the same

Better to post your question in the straight section. I am too looking into getting a Dovo Shavette (want to avoid the maintenance of the true straight) and thought the stainless model (201006) would be better. Beside the stronger stainless blade holder you get the heavier razor (this model is the heaviest as far as I know).

I hope other fellows with hands-on experience will chime in and shed some light.

I have Both the Parker and the Feather Artist Club RG and i can say that the Feather plays in another league in performance, durability, etc. The weak point is the cost of the razor and the cost of the cartridges.

Better to post your question in the straight section. I am too looking into getting a Dovo Shavette (want to avoid the maintenance of the true straight) and thought the stainless model (201006) would be better. Beside the stronger stainless blade holder you get the heavier razor (this model is the heaviest as far as I know).

I hope other fellows with hands-on experience will chime in and shed some light.

Even the stainless steel handled Dovo Shavette features the exact same poor quality plastic blade holder of all of the other models. A more solid handle doesn't make a bit of a difference if the overall construction of the razor is really chintzy. The Parker's are vastly superior to the Dovo, not even anywhere close to be in the same league.

I would go for a Feather stainless if they would take the DE regular blades.

DE blades would likely fit, but probably too much exposure...

You are not going to get a DE blade to fit into a Feather Disposable Blade Straight Razor. They are designed to use only the Feather Professional line of blades, and trying to make any other type of blade work is just asking for tons of trouble. The Feather blade is longer, and thicker, and hence way less flexible than a half DE blade.

A Schick Injector blade should work, but there is simply no way a DE blade is going to work.

Last edited:
Gents, I would STRONGLY recommend the Weck Sextoblade, or Hair Shaper in a pinch. It handles about as closely to a straight as a shavette can, and blades (PERsonnas) are available at Sally Beauty Supply for $0.50/each.

Saying that, assuming you want a, "straight feel".:001_smile They can be had for <$15.

Strictly for a shavette, then I understand that DOVO & Feathers are excellent, but I couldn't see spending that money for a totally proprietary system and handling method.

I believe it is 80 cents per blade.
s0 ten shaves is like 8 cents a blade use (per shave)

You are not going to get a DE blade to fit into a Feather Disposable Blade Straight Razor. They are designed to use only the Feather Professional line of blades, and trying to make any other type of blade work is just asking for tons of trouble. The Feather blade is longer, and thicker, and hence way less flexible than a half DE blade.

A Schick Injector blade should work, but there is simply no way a DE blade is going to work.

i did say there was gonna be plenty of exposure.. didn't say it was gonna be pretty or comfortable...i think it'll fit though...

I'm 3 shaves into a Spilo Magic razor from Sally Beauty Supply. It uses 1/2 of a DE blade and they're really easy to pop in half. There is no plastic on the blade holder assembly, I just have to press the edge of the blade onto a towel after inserting it to ensure that it is seated properly. The blade exposure is minimal on this one, but it will bite you if you have a temporary lapse in technique!
I'm currently awaiting delivery of the sight unseen package from Whipped Dog.

Regarding disposable straights, I started with a Parker SR1. While it gave a great shave, I found it to be too light which lead to handling issues. After giving myself a sizable gash, I gave up on it. For those with a more practiced hand, it may be a good option.

My current disposable is a Feather AC RG. While expensive, it is completely worth the cost if you want a disposable straight. The sheer quality of the device is miles ahead of the Parker SR1. It is better balanced and has more heft to it which is a good thing for me. I use the Super Pro blades with mine and get about 7-8 shaves from a blade. Like many others have noted on this forum, the first couple of shaves can be a bit harsh because the blade is too sharp. Afterwards, the razor shaves like a dream and is more forgiving, like a traditional straight.

Top Bottom