What's new

Lime Creams Shootout

Add Vulfix Sicilian Lime to your list of challengers. BTW, Castle Forbes lime is my ultimate favorite cream.

Like I said, this is your thread, so do what you want. As far as "putting my money where my mouth is", I actually did three different shootouts not so long ago where I bought the full product for testing with my own hard earned money, took a bunch of pics and posted my thoughts for each shave.

I never said you had to do the same, I was only trying to point out that some products do not do well as small samples.

I do agree that following BK's advice for the CF sample, while maybe not as nice is as having a full jar, is likely to yield the best results you might be able to get out of a sample.

Sorry maybe I misinterpreted your first post but it didn't seem constructive to me. I wasnt accusing you of being cheap or anything like that. Its nice you have the money to put towards your shaving stuff. As a newb just starting out I am just trying to keep costs in check so using samples that cost $25 vs $100+ on stuff I have never even seen let alone smelled or used seemed a good idea. I just found bkfist's post to be more what I have come to expect here when dealing with a newb. He agreed with the core of what you where saying but did it in a way that didn't seem as rough and at the same tme also offered advice on getting the most out of what I was doing. And I soon as I read your comment that starts "Not trying to be a jerk" I usually interpret that as "I am about to be a jerk". Sorry for the mix up.

Hi Strange,

I get what you are saying. It looks like we both may have misunderstood each other.

With anything involving shaving or any other hobby, I think a good general rule is that you should only spend what you are comfortable spending. A lot of us here do spend quite a bit on shaving stuff but that doesn't necessarily correlate with personal income or anything like that. Some people just get more comfortable spending more as they get deeper into this hobby just like anything else. For others, it's sort of like a cycle...they start out with a core group of tools, amass a whole bunch of products, then sell everything off except their core favorites and stick to those. Everyone has a different approach and it really depends on the individual.

As for my "tests", I did end up losing a good chunk of money on one of them in particular, but I just chalk it up to experience and "taking one for the team". If my findings helped someone save some $ on products that just didn't work, then I feel satisfied.

Anyway, good luck with your tests, I hope you find something you like.

Hi Strange,

I get what you are saying. It looks like we both may have misunderstood each other.

With anything involving shaving or any other hobby, I think a good general rule is that you should only spend what you are comfortable spending. A lot of us here do spend quite a bit on shaving stuff but that doesn't necessarily correlate with personal income or anything like that. Some people just get more comfortable spending more as they get deeper into this hobby just like anything else. For others, it's sort of like a cycle...they start out with a core group of tools, amass a whole bunch of products, then sell everything off except their core favorites and stick to those. Everyone has a different approach and it really depends on the individual.

As for my "tests", I did end up losing a good chunk of money on one of them in particular, but I just chalk it up to experience and "taking one for the team". If my findings helped someone save some $ on products that just didn't work, then I feel satisfied.

Anyway, good luck with your tests, I hope you find something you like.

Well sometimes that just ist he way of the internet isn't it? :) I am sure as I get better at knowing what I like and better skilled I will get sucked into wet shaving just like everyone else here. This place is such a great resource for information and I am now happy to be a part of the community. Thanks for all the help.

So my samples should be here today. Anyone have an thoughts on the order I should try them or insider tips on their use (like the great info on using CF)? Just a reminder here is what I ordered:

Castle Forbes Lime
Taylor of Bond St. Lemon & Lime
Taylor of Bond St. Eaton College
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes
Truefitt & Hill West 1805
Trumper Lime

Looking forward to your thoughts! I have GFT Limes and would like to see what your perspective is on it.

Mama Bear Lime Ice.. followed with Mama Bears Summer AS Milk with a shot of the Lime.

Hello blue racoon,
Is that Mama Bear Lime Ice you like a cream or soap? If its really good like you say,I'd like to try it. I adore the Lime scent in general.

Thanks,
Craig

It's been a while so I wanted to update everyone with where I am. I have at this point tried all of the creams several times, with 3 different blades (Astra SP, Personna Reds, and Crystals). I have been using an Omega Pro 49 Boar brush with my Gillette Slim Adjustable set at 6. Below is where I currently stand with the creams:

Taylor of Bond St. Lemon & Lime
Overall Rank: Tied for 1st
Cost Adjusted Overall Rank: 1st
Scent Rank: 3rd
Cream Rank: 1st
Notes: I find the TOBS the easiest to get a consistent lather that provides for my 4 passes (I have become a convert to gueron's method) with later that doesn't dry out or fade in my mug. It makes nice thick lather that gives great cushion and it really feels the slickest of all the creams that I have in the mix right now but somehow I still find it lacking. As others have told me in different posts, most likely I will need to move to a soap or a soap/cream combo to get the slickness I am looking to achieve. That being said, I am very happy with the TOBS although it's scent isn't as limey as I would like. In fact, if I smelled this without knowing what it was I am not sure that I would even think lime. Citrusy yes but not sure lime is very heavy in the forefront. I do like the scent though, its nice and light and doesn't interfere with my cologne later on (i don't use aftershave but love the Nivea Sensitive ASB but that is another post). Rinses off nice and clean as well. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to people especially for the prices. This stuff is really amazing considering it's price point.

Castle Forbes Lime
Overall Rank: Tied for 1st
Cost Adjusted Overall Rank: 2nd
Scent Rank: Is there something better than 1st?
Cream Rank: 2nd
Notes: Well as bkfist and cvac said this cream is tough to deal with in a sample jar. I am really happy they gave that feedback so that I could enjoy this cream although I really have a hard time calling it a cream as its really more waxey. While I hadn't ventured outside creams yet in my voyage into wet shaving, I would really want to call this a soft soap almost. So when I use it, I smear it all around the bottom of my mug to get a nice thin layer and then I spend a good amount of time "melting" it before really trying to work up a lather with it. Oh but once you do get that lather going it is simply amazing. It is the richest, thickest lather than I have every scene although I find I need to spend more time getting it there. I will say that I don't find it as slick as the TOBS though and for a while it was in 2nd place for me. But once I worked it a few more times (takes on a lot more H2O than I would normally use) it got up there with the TOBS although still just a bit short in terms of slickness. It really looks and initially feels like it will be great but it just doesn't slide as much as I would like. But what sets it really apart for me is its scent. It is by and far the most natural and lively lime fragrance of all the creams I am trying. It really just smells like fresh cut limes and I can't get enough of that smell. Like the TOBS I get plenty for my 4 passes and the scent doesn't linger at all. Also comes off very cleanly with a cold water rinse. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to people although the cost is high considering what you can get the TOBS for.

Trumper Lime
Overall Rank: 3rd (following Olympic 1st place ties rules)
Cost Adjusted Overall Rank: 3rd
Scent Rank: 2nd
Cream Rank: 3st
Notes: So with this cream I really like the scent. Its a nice mix of Limes and what to me smells like Baby Powder. It is a very pleasant smell that I could use everyday without a problem if I hadn't even smelled the CF Lime. This cream is a very good performer as well for its later too. Easy to get up a good amount and it is fairly slick if not just a little bit less that the TOBS and CF. I do find that this one dries out a little bit between my passes near the end though and quickly dries out on my face. I need to maybe use more H2O in it though as I might not be getting enough in there. Overall though its a very solid cream but the star for me here is its fragrance. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to people. Its a little more expensive than TOBS but cheaper than CF but for that fragrance I would say its worth the extra costs.

Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes
Overall Rank: 4th
Cost Adjusted Overall Rank: 4th
Scent Rank: 4th
Cream Rank: 4th
Notes: Well all I can say is I am really disappointed in the T&H. I read so many good things about this cream on B&B and I really think I just must be doing something wrong with this cream. First off, the lather always feels thin to me no matter how little or how much H2O I use. Even worse, it falls apart from any cushion I get with it during my shave and there is almost not slickness to it what so ever. I have to admit I have not done a water test nor used it with distilled water but based on how ever other cream I use performs I feel I shouldn't have to do it with the T&H. Then on top of that, the smell of this stuff is really unappealing to me. It smells like fake lime scent to me. I am really shocked as I don't understand how this cream gets talked about so much. Maybe its way different than other T&H creams but the Lime T&H is just really bad IMHO. I would not recommend it to anyone regardless of price.

So there you have it folks. I will come back with a final review in another couple of weeks of use to set a final ranking but I really don't expect much other than the fight for 1st and 2nd between TOBS and CF.

Thanks,
Chris

I think you would find the CF a great value if you factor in how little you use and how long it lasts, btw did you notice any big difference in post shave feel between the products?

I think you would find the CF a great value if you factor in how little you use and how long it lasts, btw did you notice any big difference in post shave feel between the products?

I think you are right in regards to the CF usage vs cost. In the end seeing how little I use it will probably last 2x as long as say the TOBS for the same tub, maybe longer. In the end they probably net out to the same cost. As for post shave skin I honestly didn't pay that much attention to that. I will on my next few shaves. I normally do a cold water rinse, follow right away by a with hazel splash, then finish with Nivea Sensitive ASB so I don't normally take the time to notice to be honest. I will make sure to report back once I have gone through them.

Thanks for the review. I went through an entire tub of the Trumper's stuff; I like it a lot. Unlike you, I am a fan of the T&H stuff, too, although it's not an authentic lime scent.

If you move to soaps at some point, I would highly recommend Mystic Waters Lime; best lime scent I've ever used. I even like it better than Castle Forbes. I've also heard that on the soap front, Queen Charlotte Soaps and Mike's Natural Soaps have awesome, pure, authentic lime scents. I know all three of these artisan soap makers use only real lime essential oil rather than fragrance oils to scent their soaps.

Soaps, in general, just perform better for me, too, so it's a no-brainer. But, as they say, YMMV.

Thanks for the effort in putting the review together.

Vulfix Sicilian Limes. You get 6 oz for like 18 bucks at Superiorshave.com. Great scent, performs as well as the others. KMF lime has the best scent though.

Chris, T&H recently reformulated many of their products to remove the tallow. This is the first I have heard about their creams flopping but there is a thread where someone tested several of their new hard shaving soaps and they were terrible. I wish I had bookmarked the thread as I would link to it here, that formulation of T&H shaving soap was that poor. What a waste of what was a highly-regarded brand a couple of years ago.

I can't really say on QED as I have never used it. Maybe it will make it into the second round of lime products once I get to them.

Sorry about that, as I said it was a melt and pour glycerin-based soap not cream.

But they do use a TON of Lime EO and was VERY strong to me!

Sorry about that, as I said it was a melt and pour glycerin-based soap not cream.

But they do use a TON of Lime EO and was VERY strong to me!

Agreed, when I received the package and opened it, the entire room smelled of lime. (And natural lime too.) I think a Lime Soap contest would be a great idea!

Top Bottom