What's new

Rookie Needs Help With Shoulderless Johan Engstrom SR Advice

First I will admit that I’m a senior guy that is a DE shaver my entire life. Last few months I have been buying a few straights and enjoy learning about them, being a lurker of this forum helped :shifty:. Couple weeks ago I purchased this razor at auction and was so rusty couldn’t read anything on the blade. Now that I can see it is an Engstrom Straight Razor Eskilstuna Sweden. I have read many things about this maker from this board and all agree he made good razors.
Seems however all examples I see are frame back not shoulderless wedge like mine.

Being a complete noviceI have no desire to do anymore to this razor. However I would appreciate any and all input about it from this knowledgeable forum.

Please help me understandwhat I have, whether it is good or average and how to restore if it is worth it? Also what does the D.S. & K. represent on the tang? Enjoy the learning in many areas and this one is no exception, Thanks:em2300:

Attachments

• $5.jpg
    $5.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 85
  • $4.jpg
    $4.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 85
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 86
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 85
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 85
Maybe this new thread may spark some interest in this maker I hope. Again thanks for the referral however that engstrom is a frameback hope this one can shed some light.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay to restore that. .. sorry missed that part of your question..

I would put that in average quality. Nice, but that's it imho

I think I misunderstood your post about not desiring to do more.. vs worth restoring and how.

Some wet dry sandpaper up through the grits would be the norm if you wanted to clean it up more.

Last edited:
That looks like a frameback that lost the "frame". A brass tube with a slot cut in it that covers the spine. I have one very similar to it and the frame is removable. Sorry, I can't help with much more than that.

That looks like a frameback that lost the "frame". A brass tube with a slot cut in it that covers the spine. I have one very similar to it and the frame is removable. Sorry, I can't help with much more than that.

great call. i hadn't thought of that, but i think you are right when you look at the spine profile... and blade shape..

this comes from teh swedish steel thread here

proxy.php

Joh. Engstrom was a pioneer in the Eskilstuna steel-industry one of the first to export his goods to the US on a larger scale.
Great razors. This one however has lost its frame, just like was pointed out here before. The frame isnt needed for shaving function, it's only purpose is to act as a honing guide.

Top Bottom