What's new

My newbie setup and newbie questions

I don't get my DE razor for a couple of days and have never shaved with one. I bought an entry level shave set by Van Der Hagen. I prepped my boar brush by soaking in in 1 part vinegar and 9 parts water. I practiced making my lather and I think I have it down. In the past I used olive oil as a pre-shave oil and witch hazel as an aftershave. Topped off with and aftershave soothing lotion (usher) which smells awesome This worked well for cartridge razor shaving.

Anyone else out there use olive oil as a pre-shave oil and if so how did it go for your DE shave?

Are there any other products that you personally can't shave without?

Williams Shaving soap seems to be the most common soap in my city. What's your opinion on it?

Thanks B&B.

I don't get my DE razor for a couple of days and have never shaved with one. I bought an entry level shave set by Van Der Hagen. I prepped my boar brush by soaking in in 1 part vinegar and 9 parts water. I practiced making my lather and I think I have it down. In the past I used olive oil as a pre-shave oil and witch hazel as an aftershave. Topped off with and aftershave soothing lotion (usher) which smells awesome This worked well for cartridge razor shaving.

Anyone else out there use olive oil as a pre-shave oil and if so how did it go for your DE shave?

Are there any other products that you personally can't shave without?

Williams Shaving soap seems to be the most common soap in my city. What's your opinion on it?

Thanks B&B.

Now you've done it. Welcome to B&B.

Can't say I've used any pre shave oil, I found that my skin adapted and feels very normal now days, there was crazy irritation in the earlier stages, but that was bad technique as well as a new form of friction to my skin

I use AOS pre-shave oil and love i,t as well as the AOS after shave balm, love it too. Welcome and great shaving!

Welcome to B&B

Continue using what works for you then experiment with a few new things one at a time, never changing more than one item at a time so that you can evaluate what difference the single change made

welcome to the site, for the record i have seen many people post that they use olive oil as preshave, but as in most things if you enjoy it and it works for you no reason to stop doing it no mater what others tell you, well unless its a health thing, you off to a great start happy shaves

Welcome to the world of wet shaving! I am a newbie as well. I have tried olive oil once, but found it to be a bit greasy for me. I have tried Johnsons baby oil with good results. I have also tried the Prorasso pre/post shave cream. It does not seem to work for me, but others speak highly of it. I also find Williams to be available where I live. I tried an old puck of it and found adding two drops of glycerine to it helps the lather. I believe VanDerHagen makes a deluxe shaving soap that is better than Williams in my humble opinion.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I make uber lather (cream+soap+glycerin), to which I add a dollop of olive oil. The oil does not flatten the lather, nor does it gunk up my R41 razor. It does slow things down a bit, largely due to its viscosity, I suppose, but that seems like a good thing with a whisker harvester like the R41.

Since adding olive oil, I've dramatically reduced my incident of nicks, and the quality of my shaves has improved dramatically.

Moreover, when rinsing off, the olive oil leaves my skin smooth and moist.

Look, it is an easy enough adjunct to experiment with. Before you whip your lather, add a dollop of oil to the mess. Then whip as usual and see what happens.

You may love it. You may hate it. You may start using Balsamic Vinegar as an aftershave. You will never know until you try.

Regards,

B.

BOTOC

Welcome! I have used Pacific preshave oil, which I think has olive oil. I don't think it makes much difference for me. But really the only way to find out is to try for yourself because things tend to be different for anyone.

Welcome to B&B! Personally I don't like Williams soap. But if it works for you more power to you! I do think VDH is much better especially their luxury soap

Greetings and Salutations to B&B. As far as pre-shaves go I have only used Secret Shave. I found that it did not work that well for me. I find that C.O. Bigelow is a very slick cream. I may have to go back and give the Secret Shave another try.

Top Bottom