What's new

Mikes Natural Tallow/Lanolin vs Veggie Formula Review and Comparison

I had read about Mike's Natural soaps here, and to be honest, I usually joke about "artisan" makers as there are a lot of bad ones out there, and I've had some less than good experiences. Then I heard that one of the my top 3 soaps, Calani, was actually an artisan maker. This got me thinking. After reading some of the reviews, and having 1 too many Gin and Tonics I decided to order some samples of Mikes Natural Soaps. And I'm glad I did.

For my tests, I used a Hart Steel 7/8 Square point razor. I did this for 2 reasons. 1) I'm a predominantly straight razor shaver, and 2) Straights require a better lather than a DE. That is my personal opinion, but while in my experience I can get away with a lesser lather using a DE, a straight requires the best. And there are a number of products which are highly regarded here but are no longer in my den for that reason alone.

The scents have been described elsewhere, so I'm not going to go into that. The samples are 1 oz. I haven't weighed them, but for $1, they are a nice size that let you get an accurate idea of how it performs. I smashed one into my lathering bowl, which I use for any soap samples that I'm testing out. Its not a soft soap, but its somewhat pliable. Nowhere near a croap, but a tad on the softer side of hard soaps. Think a Arko, or a tad softer.

For lathering, I used a Simpson's Manchurian Chubby 2, which a member so graciously loaned to me. The soap lathers very easily, and produces a very thick and creamy lather. It has good skin properties too. In fact, while I normally use AS, so I don't consider moisturizing to be important, I didn't use any after my shave and I didn't really feel any dryness until a couple hours later. I can tell it has tallow and lanolin in it. To me, tallow has a characteristic feel, and its evident in this soap. That being said, most of my soaps, and all of my top soaps, don't contain tallow. So I'm not a tallow fanatic by any means. The lanolin is the real star here, and I think thats what adds to its moisturizing properties. I had a BBS shave with it, and was quite pleased.

As an extremely picky soap user, I can thoroughly recommend this soap. I'm a huge skeptic, but I'm really glad I decided to give Mike's a try.

Here are some photos in action:

$photo (14).JPG

$photo (15).JPG

Mike also recently came up with a new veggie formula of one of his soaps for people to test. Since most of my soaps are veggie soaps, I thought I would be able to give an accurate review.

The first thing I noticed about the soap is it seems harder than the tallow version. Not triple milled hard, but certainly much less pliable than the tallow version. I used the same Manchurian CH2 for my shave, and the same Hart razor.

I wasn't given an ingredients list, but I don't think it contains lanolin. And I'd be willing to bet it contains a LOT of clay. It took quite a bit more time to load some soap. I normally face lather, but I had trouble getting the lather when I like it. Normally with a dense brush like a Chubby, there is too much water, but as I went back to loading I found myself having to add more and more water to get the lather where I like it, which tends to be on the more runny side, as slickness is much more important for straight shaving than cushion.

Anyway, I finally got it where I liked it and received a very nice shave. Also BBS, with no irritation. The skin care properties were not quite as nice as the tallow version, but by no means bad. I would rate it average. Considering the soaps I use, I'd say thats still above average, but it didn't strike me as being particularly moisturizing the way the tallow version was. I'll get to the photos in a second, but what struck me most about the lather was its density. If you're the type that likes clouds of lather, I don't think this soap is for you. But the only lather I care about is that between my skin and the blade, so having a 1 cm thick pile of lather on my face means 90% of it is just getting in the way and requires me to rinse the blade more often.

I'd rate this just about as slick as the tallow version, but the density of it was something that I, as a straight user, highly appreciate. It reminded me of Calani in many ways. Probably because it contains a high amount of clay, or at least I suspect so. For DE users, you may require more water, or a more voluminous brush to get a suitable lather, as I imagine lather this dense would clog the razor in no time flat.

Here is a photo of the lather produced with the Manchurian CH2, followed by one produced by a semogue 1305. Perhaps I didn't load the semogue long enough, but being a harder soap I think its best suited for a badger brush, and preferably one with backbone at that. Although I'm admittedly a backbone brush snob in some ways, and generally stay away from brushes without that. Boars do better with croaps than badgers, IMHO, but for a soap like this, I think a badger is where its at.

$photo (9).jpg

$photo (10).jpg

I don't know what Mike's intent is with this formula, and it may still require a little tinkering, but these are my initial, un-edited impressions. All in all, I highly recommend these soaps. While price isn't a factor I consider in soaps, they are certainly budget friendly. And if you're a vegan or don't get along with tallow and/or lanolin, then hopefully this is one that you may enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm just glad that i'm not the only one that gets a few drinks in them and starts buying stuff online!
Great reviews Nick, I have his rose and cedarwood soap, but i'm waiting to finish my bowl of tabac before doing anything more than a test lather.

I agree 100% with wanting a thinner, slicker soap when using a straight too. Maybe we should create our own...

Great review, and nice pictures!

The lanolin is the real star here, and I think thats what adds to its moisturizing properties.

I totally agree. My other tallow based soaps don't leave my skin feeling as nice as Mike's does. I've been using Mike's all this week and my face is pretty darn happy.

Great review. I'm waiting for a sample of this myself, can't wait to try both Tallow & Veggie formula.

Interesting and good review... I didn't have the same experience... I ordered a barber shop and an Orange/black pepper sample. Love the scents, but I was unable to get acceptable lather from them unless I resorted to rubbing the sample on my face like a shave stick - I'm sure it was a loading issue, but either way the resulting lather didn't feel wet or slick enough and I'm an almost exclusive straight shaver. People chimed in (including Mike himself) and suggested that I needed a whole 4.5oz puck to get it to lather properly... To me this didn't make sense though - I can't get satisfactory lather from a sample, so I should go ahead and invest in a whole bar?

Maybe someday I will, but I was left underwhelmed...

MWF is arguably one of the more difficult/troublesome soaps to lather, and it's by far the easiest for me to get amazing lather. When compared to MWF I couldn't find the love with Mike's. I wish that I could though because the orange scent is heavenly, and I really wanted to find a superior artisan soap that was American made...

Interesting and good review... I didn't have the same experience... I ordered a barber shop and an Orange/black pepper sample. Love the scents, but I was unable to get acceptable lather from them

What type of brush do you use? Could you tell me a little more about your loading method?

What type of brush do you use? Could you tell me a little more about your loading method?

I tried 3 different brushes - Restored with a TGN finest fan XH, another restore with a black badger, and a semogue 1438. I tried Mantic's MWF method, the marco method, and everything in between... I could get a lather that looked right, but it didn't last on the brush and I could never get more than enought for a single pass before I would have to relather.

I had the same problem with a cheap VDH badger brush , then with a Omega boar brush . But I just bought a Frank Shaving synthetic brush and now I love this stuff . I'm sure it was my lack of experience for it not working right before . It definitely is very good soap , just very thirsty .

Just finished with one of my samples and, wow, what a great soap. I'll finish the sample before I pass judgement completely but the scent, cushion, and slickness were superb. A little hard for me to lather at first, but with some work and extra loading I got 3+ passes worth. Reloaded and then did my head. Used a Rooney 3/1.

I had the same problem with a cheap VDH badger brush , then with a Omega boar brush . But I just bought a Frank Shaving synthetic brush and now I love this stuff . I'm sure it was my lack of experience for it not working right before . It definitely is very good soap , just very thirsty .

I'm not sure it was your lack of experience that gave you problems with the lather. YMMV as always, but in my experience, the better the brush the better the lather I get from Mike's soaps. This is true to some degree with all lathering products, but for me, I have a very wide range of results between crappy brushes and my best brushes when using Mike's.

I tried 3 different brushes - Restored with a TGN finest fan XH, another restore with a black badger, and a semogue 1438. I tried Mantic's MWF method, the marco method, and everything in between... I could get a lather that looked right, but it didn't last on the brush and I could never get more than enought for a single pass before I would have to relather.
I'm a newbie and it took me about 4 tries before I got it lathering up well enough for several passes. I'm fairly certain this soap requires more water than a lot of other soaps, because I read through a lot of the face lathering guides and found they weren't working well for me. I gave enough of a shake on my brush to prevent dripping and made sure to get my brush well loaded. It may not have looked like it could suffice for several passes compared to a lot of pictures I've seen, but it certainly did for me. I do have a beard, so have only my neck to cover, but I got 3 passes out of it with still extra when I was done.

Top Bottom