What's new

Noodlers Ahab These are a joke right?

I think so but I'm not 100% I don't have a demonstrator so I can't see the final fit in the section. Hold them together about where you think they'll end up to see, the impotant thing is to have the slit in the nib lined up with the channel in feed.

Someone on FPN suggested lightly scoring the feed channel, as it might be a bit smooth. What do I have to lose? I got a precision screwdriver and went up and down the feed a few times, then cleaned it up. Inkflow is pretty healthy- maybe too much, as I am getting a lot of nib creep. I may tinker more with feed position now. I still do not understand, however, why the exposed part of the feeds are wet on these things. They have been that way since before the tinkering began.

I went through all the fins and channel with an SE blade very little pressure and scrubbed with a toothbrush and sudsy ammonia water on my initial disassembly and clean up prior to inking. I also 86'd the breather tube and plugged the plunger to keep ink out of there. Once you have the feed set to the nib well after heat set the exposed fins dry up a bit and you can still push in the feed to restrict flow if you need to. Once you get writing reasonably well do the heat set and then small 1mm at a time adjustments in and out of the feed if necessary.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The nib creep appears fixed. I had tried a couple sheets of paper down between the tine, but they still touched on the tip. I have a ziplock of tobacco on my desk. I tried that. The ends now look pretty good, and the creep is down to about the size of a pinhead. I can live with that- before that the creep was over 1/3 of the nib. Sitting upright in my desk all night, and seeing how it starts in tomorrow will be the real test.

Some pens will just nib creep. It's not a problem, other than being a tad unsightly. But, I've had pens from quite a bit of money to a couple of bucks that do this. It doesn't effect anything. In fact, my theory is, it helps keep it lubricated a bit more, thus less or no dry starts.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Some pens will just nib creep. It's not a problem, other than being a tad unsightly. But, I've had pens from quite a bit of money to a couple of bucks that do this. It doesn't effect anything. In fact, my theory is, it helps keep it lubricated a bit more, thus less or no dry starts.
Oh, I know. Before I did the ziplock bag thing, though, it was horrible. It is now down to better than acceptable levels.

That's a pretty well known issue, and the fix is simple. Turn the piston clockwise before you try to push it down, and it will break the seal and be much easier to use properly. (I just looked, and that is pointed out in the instructions included with the pen).
I don't recall receiving any instructions with mine, and in any case, my piston does not rotate.

Turning it to break the "seal" was one of the first things I thought of, but mine does not turn.

I'm very puzzled by these reports. I have five Ahabs and now two Konrads and haven't ever seen this. Have either of you adjusted the nib and/or cleaned it? I'm trying to think of what might be diagnostic.
Please re-read the thread.
We have spent hours "fiddling" with these pens.
OC's works for a bit, then he has to fiddle again.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I pulled the nib and feed out of the pen this afternoon. Washed the feed with soap and water, put it back together and it works fine again. :cursing:

The nib creep appears fixed. I had tried a couple sheets of paper down between the tine, but they still touched on the tip. I have a ziplock of tobacco on my desk. I tried that. The ends now look pretty good, and the creep is down to about the size of a pinhead. I can live with that- before that the creep was over 1/3 of the nib. Sitting upright in my desk all night, and seeing how it starts in tomorrow will be the real test.
I ran an experiment with you to see how my pens did spending the night nib up, I usually store my pens on their side. They were both dry and required some scribbling to start but once ink worked it way through the feed they wrote well. These are the only ebonite feed pens pens I have so I have no Idea if that's typical or not. My daughter takes hers to school with her occasionally and reports no problems with it nib up in her pack between classes. Mine are of the first expanded color generation released before the holidays How did yours go.

I pulled the nib and feed out of the pen this afternoon. Washed the feed with soap and water, put it back together and it works fine again. :cursing:
Thats also indicative of having had a blockage hopefully you're done.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I ran an experiment with you to see how my pens did spending the night nib up, I usually store my pens on their side. They were both dry and required some scribbling to start but once ink worked it way through the feed they wrote well. These are the only ebonite feed pens pens I have so I have no Idea if that's typical or not. My daughter takes hers to school with her occasionally and reports no problems with it nib up in her pack between classes. Mine are of the first expanded color generation released before the holidays How did yours go.
After 16 hours, it took about 10 seconds of scribbling to get going. It has worked fine all day since, so far.'

on edit: I am going to leave it laying horizontally in the drawer tonight- that is usually how I leave them.

Mine, when on their side, make a dry signature but write normally just fine and the feed is at capacity after a couple characters.

Hopefully yours is pretty much sorted.....knock wood.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Day two report: Pen started right off, after sitting in the desk overnight (16 hours). I am going to use it for a whole week before declaring victory, but it seems like an entirely new pen since lightly scoring the feed. If it is victory, I will duplicate my actions on the Arizona. I have done a LOT of writing (and scribbling for the heck of it) for the last two days, and nary a hiccup. I would have never thought it possible for a feed to be considered too smooth, and that it might hamper capillary action. I hope this is it, because I really like the feel and look of these pens.

After being disappointed with the Knox nib fit I went back to the Ahab nib.

No problems now. The Pen is working flawlessly.

I'm going to credit my posting in this thread with all of the now working Ahabs. :p

Seriously, I'm glad to hear there is some success for all of you who have been plagued by problems. If I got your Ahabs, I'd probably be frustrated myself!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm going to credit my posting in this thread with all of the now working Ahabs. :p

Seriously, I'm glad to hear there is some success for all of you who have been plagued by problems. If I got your Ahabs, I'd probably be frustrated myself!
Well, there may be a bit of truth to it. Reading some of the posts here made me get off my duff and do something about it. Having $40 sitting in the drawer doing nothing helped. I went to fpn ( I don't go there often) and found the hint to roughen up the feed

The Ahab is finicky no doubt, though to be fair, it isn't really a "grab out of my pocket and job a note" sort of pen. Probably the biggest "adjustment" I have had to make is to realize that I can't leave it upright in my coat pocket overnight, so it lives in my desk drawer. Not that big of a deal but it starts right up after a dab of water a week later. If you are really using the flex, which I do when showing off but not really when taking notes for myself, it does go through the ink rapidly, so the feed definitely can accomidate high flow rates. OTOH, since no one wants a blue (or black or whatever) pocket, the feed doesn't leak under ordinary circumstances. Quite a balancing act and one that it performs well, especially at it's pricepoint.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The bumblebee appears fixed. Ever since I scored the feed channel on the 8th, it has been a good performer. Even after a 3 day weekend, it started right up on Monday (FYI, I leave all my pens laying horizontally in my desk drawer). I scored the feed on the Arizona today, and the improvement seems to mirror the one on the Bumblebee. So far, so good.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I guess about many things . . . but my guess about Ahabs is that the loose fitting threads allow for air penetration resulting in ink drying out quicker than we would like.

Top Bottom