What's new

So...I got linen

Where does linen fit into the stropping routine? Do you always do it before/after you use the razor or is it something that is done once-in-a-while?

As for me, I use my linen prior to leather each use (~30). Sometimes a little more if I just honed the razor.

Last edited:
20 laps before leather, but honestly, I have been very lazy and have been using horsehide only with no linen component.

I do 30-40 laps before leather prior to shaving. I have a second linen component for cleaning the blade after my shave, another 20-30 laps.

strop

Now half as wise
Hopefully Bob won't mind if I sorta hijack this thread with a followup question. Is there a difference between real linen, cotton, or polyester material. I have all 3, but not enough experience yet to tell much difference.

Hopefully Bob won't mind if I sorta hijack this thread with a followup question. Is there a difference between real linen, cotton, or polyester material. I have all 3, but not enough experience yet to tell much difference.

cotton and linen seem to be pretty similar and work well. Linen is a little more coarse than cotton so it works a little better.

Poly is too slick and doesn't have much draw to it, so I don't feel like it does a whole lot by itself. I use poly for diamond or magic dust sprays.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My opinion is natural linen does seem to have just enough abrasiveness to help maintain the keeness of an edge. I also found you need to have some speed in your stroke as well as a little pressure. Slow light pressure didn't seem to do much.

strop

Now half as wise
cotton and linen seem to be pretty similar and work well. Linen is a little more coarse than cotton so it works a little better.

Poly is too slick and doesn't have much draw to it, so I don't feel like it does a whole lot by itself. I use poly for diamond or magic dust sprays.

Do you use the poly hanging or flat? What grit on the diamond spary? For daily use or just occasional?

The linen vs cotton discussion has been pretty will worked over. My interpretation of the results are, it's a personal preference. I prefer linen an do 30-40 laps every day before hitting the leather.

Top Bottom