Thread: So...I got linen

Images

Default So...I got linen

Where does linen fit into the stropping routine? Do you always do it before/after you use the razor or is it something that is done once-in-a-while?
    Bob

Hydro-magic Injector, assorted straights
    Commodore X3 2-band, Vintage AS2M, Thater 4125/1, 2010 B&B Custom Boar, #33 B&B Limited Edition RV, Wee Scott
    Pilot Vanishing Point, Waterman Expert II, Esterbrook J in Orange, Sheaffer's Admiral Snorkel, TWSBI ROC 100

Images

For western razors I do 30-40 before every shave.
    ~ ​​Kent
    •<[Self-certified Straight Shaver]>•
    。。現在日本剃刀に夢中。。

As for me, I use my linen prior to leather each use (~30). Sometimes a little more if I just honed the razor.
    Last edited by Obiwan; 05-03-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Images

20 laps before leather, but honestly, I have been very lazy and have been using horsehide only with no linen component.

I do 30-40 laps before leather prior to shaving. I have a second linen component for cleaning the blade after my shave, another 20-30 laps.

Images

Hopefully Bob won't mind if I sorta hijack this thread with a followup question. Is there a difference between real linen, cotton, or polyester material. I have all 3, but not enough experience yet to tell much difference.
    Mark

Proudly Chosen by The VEG

Images

I hope real linen is the best of all because that's what I got when I purchased my TM strop!
    Bob

Hydro-magic Injector, assorted straights
    Commodore X3 2-band, Vintage AS2M, Thater 4125/1, 2010 B&B Custom Boar, #33 B&B Limited Edition RV, Wee Scott
    Pilot Vanishing Point, Waterman Expert II, Esterbrook J in Orange, Sheaffer's Admiral Snorkel, TWSBI ROC 100

Images

Quote Originally Posted by strop View Post
    Hopefully Bob won't mind if I sorta hijack this thread with a followup question. Is there a difference between real linen, cotton, or polyester material. I have all 3, but not enough experience yet to tell much difference.

cotton and linen seem to be pretty similar and work well. Linen is a little more coarse than cotton so it works a little better.

Poly is too slick and doesn't have much draw to it, so I don't feel like it does a whole lot by itself. I use poly for diamond or magic dust sprays.

Images

My opinion is natural linen does seem to have just enough abrasiveness to help maintain the keeness of an edge. I also found you need to have some speed in your stroke as well as a little pressure. Slow light pressure didn't seem to do much.
    ~ ​​Kent
    •<[Self-certified Straight Shaver]>•
    。。現在日本剃刀に夢中。。

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superbleu View Post
    cotton and linen seem to be pretty similar and work well. Linen is a little more coarse than cotton so it works a little better.

Poly is too slick and doesn't have much draw to it, so I don't feel like it does a whole lot by itself. I use poly for diamond or magic dust sprays.
    Do you use the poly hanging or flat? What grit on the diamond spary? For daily use or just occasional?
    Mark

Proudly Chosen by The VEG

Images

The linen vs cotton discussion has been pretty will worked over. My interpretation of the results are, it's a personal preference. I prefer linen an do 30-40 laps every day before hitting the leather.
    [I]"Find out what it is in life you don’t do well, and then don’t do that thing.” - Most Interesting Man in the World[/I]

- Kevin

where would buy a strip of 3" linen seamed/closed on the ends