What's new

Post workout irritation

I've noticed that whenever I workout after I shave, I get red, irritated patches on my face and neck. If I shave before I workout it doesn't happen, but thats only twice a week. It's not aggrivating enough to cause me to want to scratch at it, but its visibly noticable. I thought I'd try applying toner, AS and/or moisturizer after my run on Friday to see if it helps.

Does anyone else have this problem, or an idea what to do about it?

This thread confuses me, it says you notice it happens when you workout after you shave, then you state that if you shave before you workout, it doesn't happen. I may be over thinking, but isn't that contradicting each other? I always been irritated if I shave before a workout, although, it's mostly from removing bits of skin, obviously because you shaved, and then sweating into those areas.

As spoony said, it's hard to give advice as we don't know whether it's shaving before or after that affects you during a workout. I am going with spoon and guessing it's shaving -> workout -> irritation. If you are in the gym sweating boatloads then I will venture to guess it's just the salt in your sweat hitting sensitive areas. If you're out running in the cold or wind, it may be the fact that you just removed the oils from your face via shaving soap and have nothing to protect your facial skin from the elements so to speak.

Yup. I totally biffed that one. Sorry about that - I had to type it in quick and get my boy off to football practice, so I didn't get a chance to proof read my post.

What I meant to say was that if I shave AFTER I work out I have no irritation - BEFORE I work out = irritation. Next time I will try to double check my work :wacko:

I would try exclusively shaving after a shower for a week and see if that curbs your irritation. Working out produces sweat which allows bacteria and other germs to spread, especially to the face. Try, instead, to shave either during or after your post-workout shower which will provide you with a clean face to work with and will allow the skin on your face some time to produce more of the oils it needs to be comfortable again.

I DON'T shave before I workout....too much irritation...I rarely shave after a workout..too sweaty and fatigued

Yup. I totally biffed that one. Sorry about that - I had to type it in quick and get my boy off to football practice, so I didn't get a chance to proof read my post.

What I meant to say was that if I shave AFTER I work out I have no irritation - BEFORE I work out = irritation. Next time I will try to double check my work :wacko:

This happens to me too. The way I see it, you're dragging a sharp blade across your face several times and then using saltwater as aftershave. I'm not surprised at all when my face & neck get irritated when doing this.

- Mark

If you're shaving soon after working out your pours are really open, and your blood flow has increased and has really filled the small veins closer to the surface of your skin. More toxins have come to the surface making irritation more likely. Because of these things the rougher the shave will be. Its best to let things calm down before shaving.

If you're shaving soon after working out your pours are really open, and your blood flow has increased and has really filled the small veins closer to the surface of your skin. More toxins have come to the surface making irritation more likely. Because of these things the rougher the shave will be. Its best to let things calm down before shaving.
+1 and that goes for hot tub time Ive noticed as well as working out

Same thing happens to me if I shave and then go to work and start sweating. I work in a auto service shop just for info sake and it can get toasty in there in the summer.

+1

I have the same problem with neck irritation and working out. The irritation is even worse if I wear a tie to work after shaving. I'm going to start skipping the ATG pass on my neck to see if it alleviates the problem.

I can't change the schedule and workout pre-shave on Mon/Wed/Fri; Tue and Thurs are my lucky days for that, and I shave probably 30 minutes after exercize. M/W/F I shave at about 6:30 and workout at 11:30, so it's not an immediate follow up workout. They let us workout over lunch, so I just eat at my desk and hit the gym for 60 - 75 mins. Unfortunately thats all or more than the time I'm supposed to take, so I can't get a post workout shower in until after work. I can MAYBE sneak off to wash my face and apply AS or something, but thats about the best I can do. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had to wear a tie; Scott, I feel for you my friend.

Well, I went WTG, XTG x2 this morning and no irritation with the tie. Not quite as smooth, but a worthwhile tradeoff in my eyes. I'm positive working out tonight will be a no irritation event too.

Top Bottom