What's new

Closest Razor Like Merkur HD

So I've purchased the Merkur Slants (long and short handled), Vision, and Progress and no matter how I try I can't seem to trump my trusty HD in terms of use and overall shave quality. I would to upgrade to one of the new machined razors or perhaps try a different brand. Any suggestions on what razor could potentially dethrone my Merkur HD?

- Vince

I have a lot of razors to choose from ... and today I chose my Merkur HD (with a Derby blade.) It may lack the smooth, polished look of an EJ89, its not as aggressive as my 39C, its not adjustable like my IkonGress, its not interchangeable with other handles like a Tech or an EJ/Muhle or a Stahly ... but it delivers an effortless, almost idiot-proof DFS+ every single time. (I shaved 12 hours ago, and my face is still faceturbateable.)

My 34G was the first razor I bought new, after I tried out a few vintage Slims I found in an antique store. I chose it after a lot of research and the HD came up as recommended more often than all the other brands and models put together.

With so much other gear, the 34G doesn't get called up to bat very often, but every time I put it in to play, I'm glad I did. Its the most universal razor I have, in that it can handle any type of beard, from a quickie touch-up to a week's worth of stubble.

That model didn't get to be as popular as it is for nothing, y'know. Every notice that you don't see many HDs on the BST? Know why? Its because people love this razor and want to hang on to it.

I know, I know, your RAD is screaming at you that you need another razor. Go ahead and get one. But no matter what you get, I don't think you're going to 'dethrone' the Merkur HD.

Why mess with success? If it works, don't fix it.

Last edited:
I'll second what dpm802 said. I've got a slant,a barberpole,fatboys, a toggle. The O'l HD has ended up becoming my tried and true razor. It gives me what I want. Coming in second would be the fatboy set a 8.

One word. Joris....

proxy.php
]

Last edited:
I would consider going the vintage route - Gillette Red Tip or Slim Adjustable. If not, try the Muhle R89. The Merkur HD is, I believe, the shorter version of the Merkur 38C. The other razors I listed here easily out-perform my 38C, which is a decent razor that is neither mild nor aggressive.

I have a lot of razors to choose from ... and today I chose my Merkur HD (with a Derby blade.) It may lack the smooth, polished look of an EJ89, its not as aggressive as my 39C, its not adjustable like my IkonGress, its not interchangeable with other handles like a Tech or an EJ/Muhle or a Stahly ... but it delivers an effortless, almost idiot-proof DFS+ every single time. (I shaved 12 hours ago, and my face is still faceturbateable.)

Why mess with success? If it works, don't fix it.

I was going to say something similar but there's really nothing to add. I like all the razors I have but the 34c is right there at the top for me.

if you just want a nicer looking razor that will shave like your HD then i suggest muhle r89. i have both and find them to shave pretty much the same. although the muhle is a far superior razor in terms of quality craftsmanship and is very nice to look at. that being said i will not be getting rid of my 34c. you can't have too many razors. can you?

Like a previous poster mentioned, give the Muhle R89, or the Edwin Jagger DE89 a try. The 2 most recommended new razors on this forum would be the HD and the 89.

The HD is my mainstay, workhorse razor. It never lets me down. After I venture off to try others for a bit, returning to the HD is like coming home.

I agree with what others have said about the Weber. Imagine a heftier three-piece HD, in stainless steel, with better knurling, and then make it shave so smoothly that you can't feel it and you've got a Weber. In one shave it dethroned my HD.

The HD is easily my favorite DE. I have a slant, 1904 open comb, a Muhle R41, a 40 superspeed, a Red Tip, and a couple of Slim Adjustable's. The HD just seems to fit me. The Muhle is beautiful but the handle is a joke, way too slippery with wet soapy hands (great execution of poor engineering), the handle on the HD provides a sure grip (not as pretty though). The 40's superspeed and the Red Tip are too mild, the Slim is nice, my next favorite, the slant is fun, the handle on the 1904 is worse than the R41. I guess you can't go wrong with the good old HD.

Top Bottom