What's new

BIG brush?

Hello all, I'm a leg shaver and while I like my Parker Synthetic, I'm interesting in checking out brushes that are larger to better cover the large surface area of the leg. Soft would be nice as exfoliation is usually taken care of by another part of the routine. Other preferences (these traits I can live without, size and softness are most important!) would include:
a long handle
Horse/synthetic hair
low-mid range in price

Thanks for the help!

Check out the big brushes from Pat at PC Woodworking. Lots of lovely, long handles with terrain- covering- sized knots. Badger hair, though. SWMBO swears they're the softest of all my brushes.

I own an omega syntex but thats about as far as my knowledge goes on synthetics......I can understand why, as the big badger tend to become rather costly, especially when you start talking really big!! May I recommend a boar brush perhaps? I know Omega makes a professional line up and there is one with a long black handle with a big loft/knot, that may work perfect for you. I will see if I can find a link and post it for you, maybe something you havent considered, or overlooked.......and $$$ is good too!!!

I own an omega syntex but thats about as far as my knowledge goes on synthetics......I can understand why, as the big badger tend to become rather costly, especially when you start talking really big!! May I recommend a boar brush perhaps? I know Omega makes a professional line up and there is one with a long black handle with a big loft/knot, that may work perfect for you. I will see if I can find a link and post it for you, maybe something you havent considered, or overlooked.......and $$$ is good too!!!
The Golden Nib sells 30mm Silvertip Grade A for $42.95, then you just need a handle and you have a large brush for not too much money.

here ya go, and QED usa is a wonderful site to deal with, and excellent customer service. it has an 80 mm handle (huge) long enough to reach without having to stretch to far, a 27mm knot, and a 64 mm knot loft whcih should cover a huge area, which I think you can agree with me is a BIG brush... and for 13.50 plus shipping a bargain at that, as omega boars are second to none iMO. they can take a month or so to completely soften and break in, but there are tricks to speed things up too.....Hope this helps you!!!

http://www.qedusa.com/omega-omega-10098-professional-boar-bristle-shaving-brush-p-329.html

If you decide to consider badger the Kent BK 12 sees a lot of leg use in my house (I originally got it for head lathers where it still does yeoman's work).

There aren't too many horse or synthetic brushes with long handles. I do know that Vie Long may be able to make a brush to custom specs and may have some long handles available. I think that TGN offers synthetic knots...you could have a custom maker use one of these and make you a handle that suits your needs.

Why synthetic/horse hair if I may ask?
Pretty much ethics, no animals were harmed etc. I'm not a bleeding heart animal activist so I won't throw a fit if I have to go down the boar/badger route. Not to mention I've heard they're in between badger and boar in terms of properties which sounds nice.

Pretty much ethics, no animals were harmed etc. I'm not a bleeding heart animal activist so I won't throw a fit if I have to go down the boar/badger route. Not to mention I've heard they're in between badger and boar in terms of properties which sounds nice.
That is fair enough, I haven't tried a synthetic nor a horse hair so I don't know.

A Rooney Heritage XXL is IMO the ultimate big softie, but rather pricey.

Thater also offer big brushes with exceptionally soft tips, but again fall within the higher price category.

A Kent BK12 is also going to provide a soft and encompassing experience and with some shrewd online shopping can be achieved with a much more modest investment. The Kent also has a longer, more ergonomically styled handle (as requested).

All my suggestions are badger and I guess I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to brushes, so I can offer no advice on equine or synthetic alternatives. I do propose however that, given the brush is working a greater surface area (legs versus face) the extra expense associated with acquiring badger is totally justified. There is also little to no "break in" time associated with badger, so the brush is likely to feel much softer right from the start.

Another tip, would be to look for a fan as opposed to bulb knot as these provide a bigger feel.

Last edited:
I wouldve recommended the kent bk12, and the big rooneys, but one requirement was a good price, and seeings the kent is $250 +....

I wouldve recommended the kent bk12, and the big rooneys, but one requirement was a good price, and seeings the kent is $250 +....
I got dizzy when I looked it up at first, maybe it could be a long term goal to save for? Although maybe I could get a custom for that price.

I was going to recommend a HUGE boar brush, but jsj_297 beat me to it!

PS - I *love* your user name!
Thanks for the UN compliment, makes my internet ego glow.

And thanks to you both, that brush is on my "definite buy" list. Now, whether to use the rest of my cream with my wee synthetic or bite the bullet and snag some soaps when I order it is the *real* question.

If you buy the BK12 from US vendors you will pay around $250.

If you buy the BK12 direct from Kent in the UK you will pay around $180.

Other online UK vendors have it cheaper.

How's this?
A nice big Turkish #1 from Bestshave.net? More fun than you can imagine for $9. Plenty big horsehair. Not uncomfortable at all. Nice middle of the road softness and good backbone.

How's this?
A nice big Turkish #1 from Bestshave.net? More fun than you can imagine for $9. Plenty big horsehair. Not uncomfortable at all. Nice middle of the road softness and good backbone.
Hmm, it seems it went out of stock after it went on sale. However thanks for pointing this nice brush out. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the stock (not to mention other goodies they have at just as an attractive price point!)

How's this?

This was made for Legs & Heads, It's nice and Big with tips that soften quickly, ~3-5 Shaves, a good value buy. Throw in a couple of Arko Creams, Maximum Comfort has a nice Citrus Scent & the Extra Sensitive is a faint Lavender, shipping should remain the same.

This was made for Legs & Heads, It's nice and Big with tips that soften quickly, ~3-5 Shaves, a good value buy. Throw in a couple of Arko Creams, Maximum Comfort has a nice Citrus Scent & the Extra Sensitive is a faint Lavender, shipping should remain the same.
I may throw in an alum block with that copper soap cup as well. It's mighty handsome

A Kent BK12 is also going to provide a soft and encompassing experience and with some shrewd online shopping can be achieved with a much more modest investment. The Kent also has a longer, more ergonomically styled handle (as requested).

This would be my recommendation as well. That said, I got my wife into using a brush and soap with a Rooney 3/3 in Super. Slightly smaller than the Kent but the handle seems to be a better fit for her.

Ken

Top Bottom