What's new

How many shaves do you get from one blade?

How many shaves before throwing away a blade?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The effectiveness of a blade after successive uses varies by brand, because some blades will shave better than others after multiple uses. However, I have very sensitive skin and a mild case of rosacea, so I have found that my magic number is three. For me, discarding the blade after three uses provides me with the optimum balance between shaving effectiveness versus skin irritation. Shaving by default implies some skin irritation but I find this irritation to be more pronounced when more than three uses are made. But there are also other factors to consider, like: how many passes do you do for each shave, do you use both side of the DE blade equally, what is your skin type, what is your razor type?, etc. In reiteration, my number is three shave per blade. But our opinions should only be used as a guideline, the real indicator will be the trial and error method of each shave coupled with the experience acquired by using different combinations of ones own equipment. Happy Shaving. Sam.

I can get up to 12-15 shaves per blade with my Merkur Futur. So far, my Bluebird has been used 12 times and still shaves good, but it started to tug at shave number 7-10.

I think the poll options should be re-evaluated and modified accordingly.

Cheers

I've been using; what I call, the Personna Red Label lately.

$DSCN0406.jpg

I'm waiting on an order of 100-Lab Blue to come in the mail. These "Red Labels" or alright, seeing as they don't have any coating to speak of, I get maybe 3-descent shaves with each blade before it starts getting dull. Once it starts getting dull it starts tugging on my face and inevitably nicks and cuts. They'll do in a pinch but I can't wait for the Lab Blus to arrive in the mail.

I get two three-pass shaves with a Feather and one three-pass shave with a Shark Super Chrome. Moving forward, I will only be using Feathers once I run out of Sharks :)

I use Personna Red Label blades
$DSCN0441.jpg
Seeing as how these blades don't have comfort coating and the water in my town is pretty hard, I only get about 3-shaves per blades before it gets dull; its even worse when I use goop from a can like Gilette Satin Care.

I think I'll be changing out my blades every shave. Astras are a dime a blade.

even if they were 5 cents a blade you should still be able to get 2 perfect shaves from them by using 1 side of the blade for the entire first shave then the 2nd side for the second shave.. if the blade dies on side 1 during the first shave then the blade officially isn't worth .05.

I have just returned to DE shaving, and bought a blade assortment. I am limiting myself to 2 shaves per blade to try out more blade brands qucikly.

My question - do any of the blades get better after a couple of shaves, or just stay about as good as when fresh and new.

My only real bummer of a blade brand is a pack of Wilkerson Sword that I bought at Wally World, awful, only got a shave and a half before having to put in a new blade.

Mitch

It depends on the blade, like many of you said. Great steel is needed and if I have that, coupled with the shave oil, steam, and good technique, I can go past 7 days. If it's poor steel, 3 days.

Top Bottom