What's new

Question for Red Tip users.

Is it my imagination, or are vintage Gillette Red Tips prone to developing a very faint yellow tinge that one does not see in other vintage Gillettes? I have noticed it in some Red Tips, but not all. Yet I have not seen this coloring in other vintage Gillettes.

Also, if you have seen this coloring and know how to remove it, please share the secret.

Just thought I'd ask.

Is it my imagination, or are vintage Gillette Red Tips prone to developing a very faint yellow tinge that one does not see in other vintage Gillettes? I have noticed it in some Red Tips, but not all. Yet I have not seen this coloring in other vintage Gillettes.

Also, if you have seen this coloring and know how to remove it, please share the secret.

Just thought I'd ask.
yes,thats just the brass showing, you cant remove it.
proxy.php

Thanks. But why would it be less apparent on other vintage Gillettes? Aren't they brass as well?

Mine is in pretty good shape I think, yet you can still see a brass tinge if you look closely at the handle. Maybe it's something in the knurling or something since it is different than the rest of the Gillettes..

Hey, it STILL looks good and holds it's own against all new comer's you know? The ease of shave is amazing with this razor. I shaved with it yesterday and sixteen hours later( I should sleep lol) I have just developed stubble! Awesome, awesome razor.

Alex has it right. It has nothing to do with the Red Tip as a model. Most of the Super Speeds of that era were nickel over brass. Razors are worn show some "brassing". You can't remove the brass as that is the underlying material. However, occasionally you see other types of deposits on the surface of the plating. Carefully try a good metal cleaner/polish.

Oh, by the way, I worked my '56 Red Tip into my rotation this week. Love that razor! Probably my favorite Super Speed.

I have no idea, but couldn't the quality of nickel plating or the processes used vary over time?

Often, a copper undercoat is plated onto brass parts before the nickel (or gold) is plated, because it adheres well to the brass and also to subsequent materials. Maybe they skipped that undercoat in the 1950s, or it was made very thin? All wild guesses, just wondering if that could account for some of what we see vis a vis brassing.

I agree with the others, it sounds like you have a bit of brassing on the razor. None of my Red Tip Super Speeds or Rocket have any plate loss. You maybe just have a well loved razor i.e. it has not been battered just worn through use. Great shaver though.

Top Bottom