What's new

Martin de candre

Received my order from them yesterday and much to my surprise they added a few samples which I thought was nice ! Lavender sent and a small bar of soap ! I used the shaving soap this AM I must I am very impressed !
ENJPY YOUR SHAVE !

i really enjoyed the soap bar as well. any idea what it is actually called or is it the olive oil marseilles soap?

Bienvenue au club de Martin! It's my all time favourite soap and you'll be surprised how long it will last.

How long will a jar last if used on a daily basis... ballpark estimate?

There's been members who've done calculations and what not. Truthfully it depends on your loading. Estimates range from 1 year to 2 years depending on your use per shave. Some use a 20mm brush and make enough lather for 3 passes. Others use a 32mm brush and make enough lather for 12

based on some of my calculations and use history (seen here)...i use anywhere from 0.8g to 1.2g per use, and i'm a pretty heavy user (meaning, i don't skimp on loading and application)

so for me, a 170g would last daily for about 1/2 a year, which is a far cry from people who say it will last 10+years and they only load for 2seconds and get enough for a 10pass shave

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Yeah, but six months is not bad at all. I don't have anything that lasts that long (well Tabac has a reputation). But I always laugh at that 2 second load, tons of water, 10 pass shave stuff, too! :lol:

I used it again the other day, great soap (small sample which I subsequently split again with another member). For me the issue is not the price, but the scent. I won't say it's better soap, but I would much prefer to shave with QCS Green Irish Tweed than MdC every day, that's for sure. I guess it depends on how you feel about the scent.

Yeah, but six months is not bad at all.

not bad at all, i'm not complaining.

considering i rotate it with about 15 other products, it will probably last me 10y in rotation, if it doesn't go bad by then and/or if i'm not shaving with a Lazor Razor by then. :a45:

Luc it is funny i ordered in French my background and Family are French-Canadian from Quebec and I think they really did enjoy getting the order that way from a Gent from the U.S.A, ! At any rate it will be used in a Four Day rotation of Soaps ! C&S #88,C&S Oxford & Cambridge and of course TABAC !
Enjoy Your Shave !

I used a carefully measured 1 oz sample and got 2 months on the button. I shave 6 days a week (I don't shave until the evening on Saturday so I look nice for date night :) ).

I used a 24-26 mm brush for every shave and I never let myself get too low on lather, even if that meant revisiting the "puck" for the third pass. I was trying to see how far I could push it, but I surely never felt like I was lacking in the lather department. Outside of this experiment I have a habit of using larger brushes several times per week AND making a bit too much lather. I think 1 gram will likely last closer to 1.5 months in the future. My last order from MdC was 13 jars...hopefully enough to last a lifetime as part of my rotation should they ever reformulate or disappear. If I had a time machine I'd do the same thing with tallow Pen's and Trumper's :blue:

I used a carefully measured 1 oz sample and got 2 months on the button. I shave 6 days a week (I don't shave until the evening on Saturday so I look nice for date night :) ).

I used a 24-26 mm brush for every shave and I never let myself get too low on lather, even if that meant revisiting the "puck" for the third pass. I was trying to see how far I could push it, but I surely never felt like I was lacking in the lather department. Outside of this experiment I have a habit of using larger brushes several times per week AND making a bit too much lather. I think 1 gram will likely last closer to 1.5 months in the future. My last order from MdC was 13 jars...hopefully enough to last a lifetime as part of my rotation should they ever reformulate or disappear. If I had a time machine I'd do the same thing with tallow Pen's and Trumper's :blue:

Wow. Very detailed. Thanks. And 13 jars!

I've used my massive jar of MdC exclusively for 10 weeks now, shaving every day except Sunday. Around 60 shaves, so far I'm roughly 5mm in. Should last me a while.

EDIT: Apologies for the massive photo, here's a link instead.

http://i48.tinypic.com/dzxc35.png

Last edited:
Fantastic soap! When i had a small sample, it would take no more than 3-4 seconds to load and i had easily for three passes; not 10, but 3.
i think i need to place an order, soon.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Martin de Candre is one of my all-time favourite shaving soaps. Will never stay without.

wouldn't 13 jars go bad before you got to use them? or can it be preserved in the fridge? just wondering.

Treating it just like the Italian Soft soaps. Temperature controlled environment, dark, but not damp. I recently finished one up that was several years old that was just like new. (And a few pucks of Williams that are older than my parents :turned: ). The guys I work with who are in to wet shaving are relentless...at the prices/trades they're offering, these may not last until Christmas.

Treating it just like the Italian Soft soaps. Temperature controlled environment, dark, but not damp. I recently finished one up that was several years old that was just like new. (And a few pucks of Williams that are older than my parents :turned: ). The guys I work with who are in to wet shaving are relentless...at the prices/trades they're offering, these may not last until Christmas.

that's very nice...we have a few wet shavers at work, so it works out well for me too...plus a few other Winnipeg B&B members.

good to know about the storage, i may get a couple more soon. :balloon:

Top Bottom