What's new

Semogue SOC Boar - Pics and First Impressions

$Photo1.jpg

1) New brush, pre-bloom.

$Photo2.jpg

2) Test lather with E-Shave Avocado & Linden shaving soap.

$Photo3.jpg

3) Post-bloom density check.

$Photo4.jpg

4) Bloomed brush.

$Photo5.jpg

5) Lined up with my other Semogues

L to R:

SOC Boar, 2030B, 1250, 2015 and SOC Badger.

Last edited:
Mine is getting heavy use since it was recently bought. Very nice. Not sure yet if I like it more than my 2010 custom semogue, but pretty close for sure. An amazing brush!

I completely agree!

+1 i have the 2011 Bristle LE 2 and the SOC cherry boar and they are very similar to my feel and experience.

both great brushes.

for anyone interested, here are my specs on the SOC (mine at least) when using a digital caliper

SOC:
overall height: 115.84
knot diameter: 25.82
handle height: 60.16
knot loft: 55.68 (deducting overall from handle)

I've contemplated getting the SOC boar in the past, but it's just way too big for my taste. Looking at the 5th pic cvac posted, it's a monster compared to the others. I have a 1250 and find that loft at 55mm considerably too long and splays more than I'd like it to.

I sure wish Semogue allowed you to set custom lofts...a la Vie-Long style. I'd jump on the SOC in a heartbeat!

I've contemplated getting the SOC boar in the past, but it's just way too big for my taste. Looking at the 5th pic cvac posted, it's a monster compared to the others. I have a 1250 and find that loft at 55mm considerably too long and splays more than I'd like it to.

I sure wish Semogue allowed you to set custom lofts...a la Vie-Long style. I'd jump on the SOC in a heartbeat!

My 1250 isn't that old...I don't have major splay issues with it. Semogue does offer a couple models with a 50mm loft. TBH, I think that a super short boar brush wouldn't be something up my alley. Boar is firmer than badger anyway and doesn't bloom a ton.

My 1250 isn't that old...I don't have major splay issues with it. Semogue does offer a couple models with a 50mm loft. TBH, I think that a super short boar brush wouldn't be something up my alley. Boar is firmer than badger anyway and doesn't bloom a ton.

Yup got myself a 1460 & 1470 which have the 50mm loft. Like those alot, but was thinking of getting a 620 since it's supposed to be firmer. My 1460 & 1470 are well broken in and I find they splay a touch too much.

Love the look of the SOC in cherry. Both badger and boar. Simply beautiful looking brushes.

Could you comment on the splay issues with the 1205? Mine does in fact feel a bit floppy compared to my SOC.

Top Bottom