What's new

Semogue SOC Boar - Pics and First Impressions

It doesn't really splay that much and doesn't feel floppy to me, but I'm primarily a badger guy so most boar brushes feel somewhat stiff to me. I wouldn't want a boar that had no flex and was the boar equivalent of something like a Rooney 2XL.

My 1250 has been used less than ten times though, so it's pretty new. If I used it a lot more it might feel floppier, but I can't really say for now.

$Photo1.jpg

1) Pic of Semgoue SOC Boar after 1 facelather with RazoRock Muguet de France. Scuttle being used as a brushwarmer.

Impressions of the brush today were very good. It is not quite as soft on the tips as my 1250 or 2030B, but still much softer than a brand new Omega Pro out of the box. As it breaks in, I'm sure it will get softer. The main difference with this brush compared to my other Semogues is that this one feels like it is higher on the density and backbone scale. Scrubbier for sure but not uncomfortable...remember I'm fairly sensitive to scritchy brushes. As for whether it's "better" than the 1250 or 2030B, I can't really say. I enjoy all these brushes and they're all a little different.

Shaving.ie is where I got mine. They have a decent selection of Semogues and ship quickly to the U.S. I usually get my stuff from them in about a week. For some reason, orders from Vintage take longer (up to 3-4 weeks), but they have a more extensive selection of Semogue brushes.

Awesome collection CVAC, Im looking to pick up a 1305, currently searching the forums here daily for one to come up on sale :)

I've had a SOC boar for some time now, and it really is one of my favourite brushes, even though my favourite hair overall is probably 2-band badger (I have a SOC 2-band too, and a New Forest 2-band, both of which I think are terrific).

My other two SOC boars are a 1305 and a 610 (610 is new - only used once), and by comparison, the SOC boar is a lot denser and quite a bit firmer. But with extensive use (it's by far my most used brush), the tips have become beautifully soft but without the brush losing its firmness, and that's a combination that really suits me well.

It does take a lot of uses before the SOC tips really develop, though, and the brush benefits from a longer pre-use soak than most (with 2/3rds the bristles submerged - I try to keep the handle dry).

Top Bottom