What's new

Fragrance Suggestions

Being that my shaving game has now been stepped up, it's time to step up my fragrance game. The thing is, it seems that there is an overwhelmingly large amount of options. It's almost intimidating. Add to that the fact that I really haven't been a fragrance man and I feel lost. So I'm turning to my fellow B&B'ers in the hopes of some suggestions. I was looking at purchasing some decants on checkitoutone.com but really don't know where to start. As a reference some fragrances I've used in the past and have liked are CK One, L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme, Acqua di Gio pour Homme & Declaration Bois Blue. Being that the weather is starting to warm up here in SoCal I'm looking for and usually lean towards cleaner, citrus scents and based on some AS and shave soaps amd liking lavender & rose scents as well. Your input is more than welcome.

I'd suggest you start with samples/decants offered by our members in the vendor's section - Archerfire Decants, Garry's Sample Shop and Rick Boone's Stink and Stain. All three are good guys to do business with and have better pricing than most. With regards to what to try, read a bit on here, pick a couple things that catch your interest and jump in. If you don't like something on first try, set it aside and come back to it later - amazing how your perceptions and taste will change. As you try stuff, read the reviews here and at Basenotes, Fragrantica, etc and try to discern notes and styles that you like/don't like. That way you can pick up more ideas of things you'd like to sample and ask for recommendations based on what you did/didn't like.

You can also try sampling at department stores where you live. Personally, I never have much luck with that for a variety of reasons - they don't stock what I want to try, annoying Sales Associates who try to push what they're paid to push, an atmosphere where you're overwhelmed by what everyone else has sampled, etc. Plus, I just don't like going to the mall :)

The other thing I'd suggest is to try and buy decants at first rather than full bottles when you find something you like. When you're first getting started you may find something you 'love' only to discover a few weeks later something in the same vein that you like much more. This can get really expensive if you start jumping on full bottles every time something smells good to you.

Good luck and enjoy

Thanks BillC. I am planning on going the sample/decant route. I understand what you mean about the mall. The sales associate hand you the sample card you smell it and if you mention you like it there's an awkward pause because the sales associate is expecting you to say "I'll take it." Very awkward interaction.

cleaner + citrus + lavender & rose = Acqua di Parma Colonia. This was too easy.
YMMV off course. Get a sample first and then get a full bottle. The big one.

I definitely agree with BillC regarding getting samples and decants before splurging on full bottles. For summer, I don't think you can go wrong with a Limes based scent. I personally like TOBS Victorian Lime and GFT Extract of Limes. However, the GFT does not last very long. To me, T&H 1805 smells very similar to L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme so that might be an option.

Jason

I would encourage you to think of this more as an exploration of what you like than trying to find the "one" true scent for you. There are simply too many choices that each evoke different moods and seem appropriate for different types of weather/settings/etc. It can be really overwhelming at times (trust me, I'm not that much further into this then you are), but I like to remind myself that this is for pleasure and need not be a rush. I'd recommend checking out basenotes.com for reviews of fragrances you read about on this forum (though try not to take some of the craziness those folks have for their hobby too seriously). Enjoy!

I would encourage you to think of this more as an exploration of what you like than trying to find the "one" true scent for you. There are simply too many choices that each evoke different moods and seem appropriate for different types of weather/settings/etc. It can be really overwhelming at times (trust me, I'm not that much further into this then you are), but I like to remind myself that this is for pleasure and need not be a rush. I'd recommend checking out basenotes.com for reviews of fragrances you read about on this forum (though try not to take some of the craziness those folks have for their hobby too seriously). Enjoy!

Thanks dgerson. I did go and do that. I went on basenotes.net (some pretty intense people on there) read some reviews and ordered several decants from a couple of sources. So here we go!!

Gentlemen,

Basenotes is a great place to get some guidance as well.
I do not recommend the Aqua De Parma Colonia. That is a lot of money for a young man, learning his scents.
I recommend 2-3 colognes my friend.
A summer/ sppring cologne.
I deep winter, fall scent.
And a daily after shave.

For instance, I use a Thayers aloe witch hazel as an after shave. The rose scent.
My daily after shave is 4711, an old standard.
I am now using Querlain Imperale for summer/spring scents.
I am a big fan of Geo F Trumper, I use their Adjacio Violet. Again, an elegant, male violet scent.
I have used the Habit Rouge in the past as well.

My winter stuff, is Penhalgion, Bleinam Bouquet.
There are so many makers out there, so many. Pick what you need slowly.
Go to base notes, and you can get nice guidance.
BTW, my scents, just stumbled upon me, am now 60 years old.
Like shaving, it will be a daily excursion.
Good luck, do not make it difficult. One time I had too many scents, like 20 plus.
Not worth it!

Nice day

Top Bottom