What's new

Barbicide or alcohol

Does anyone know if it's safe to use Barbicide on brushes? Will it disinfect the way Mar-V-Cide does?

barbicide contains the exact same disinfectant as marvy,but marvy is double concentration,which means it costs half when diluted properly.Marvy clearly states "safe for brushes" on it's back label,barbicide does not...I notice after I disinfect my brushes with marvy ,they are softer for a few shaves,almost like washing in a conditioner.

I use barbicide for sterilization, scrubbing bubbles for cleaning, and mothers automotive chrome polish for shining.
Hair is anionic (negatively charge) and all the soaking solutions contain a quaternary ammonium salt (positively charge). The net effect is a coating on the hair that behaves like hair conditioner.

I love chemistry. :love-struck:

barbicide contains the exact same disinfectant as marvy,but marvy is double concentration,which means it costs half when diluted properly.Marvy clearly states "safe for brushes" on it's back label,barbicide does not...I notice after I disinfect my brushes with marvy ,they are softer for a few shaves,almost like washing in a conditioner.

Last edited:
I have three brushes in regular rotation, and I use them essentially in order. After the shave I rinse them, shake them, squeeze them on a towel, bang the bristles against my wrist, then dry the bristles on a towel. I then place them OUTSIDE the bathroom to dry. Any one brush will not be used again for 3 days, so they always thoroughly dry between uses.

I have never used Barbicide or Marvicide on anything in my house.

I use barbicide because I like having the cool barber's soak jar on the counter in the shave den

I hear that - it looks good! I may try to find one of those.

I've poured hot (maybe not quite boiling) water over the vintage razors I've purchased, scrubbed them if necessary, and pretty much left it at that. I get the sense from some of the posts that that's good enough - Yes? Or should I look for some Barbicide?

I hear that - it looks good! I may try to find one of those.

I've poured hot (maybe not quite boiling) water over the vintage razors I've purchased, scrubbed them if necessary, and pretty much left it at that. I get the sense from some of the posts that that's good enough - Yes? Or should I look for some Barbicide?

You will get opposite views of this. There are those of us who aren't concerned, feeling anything that's on a 20 year old razor is long dead, and those who sanitize their own razors on a regular basis. I personally would be more than comfortable shaving with a razor used yesterday by an HIV positive individual with a spray of scrubbing bubbles, a toothbrush and a warm water rinse. (Fresh blade, of curse)

Wash your shaving utensils with soap or detergent, they'll be as clean and sanitary as the dishes and silverware you use at the restaurant.

I use Barbicide because I like the total immersion sanitation it provides.

The comparison with salad utensils would be more appropriate if you had recently and frequently cut yourself on those utensils.

Blood-borne pathogens exist and we cut ourselves frequently even if they don't produce enough red cells to see.

Nobody wants your blood riddled utensils hanging around the bathroom.

It may be over-achieving to a degree but its a no-harm no-foul act of cleanliness.

I use barbicide because I like having the cool barber's soak jar on the counter in the shave den

proxy.php

I use Barbacide, it is cheap and effective and I love the blue color. I do not have a cool glass container like the one above and just use a re-purposed straight-sided glass pickle jar. My jar stays under the sink.

Scrubbing bubbles has ammonium chlorides in it. Same family of disinfectant as Barbicide and marvy.
So you got three basic bugs.... bacteria, viral, and fungal.
So time will kill the first two it’s the fungus that I get a little concerned about because they will spore.
This lets them sit dormant for years and years, just waiting for moisture. So I use scrubbing bubbles for any new acquisitions that are vintage.

That said yes it would be kind of cool to have a jar of barbicide in the den but there’s just no room for it. I don’t think the wife would be happy with that either.

Occasionally, I will ask SWMBO for permission to put one of my razors in the dishwasher utensil basket. The next morning it comes out squeaky clean and shiny. Between shaves, I soak my rinsed out razor--with blade in it--in a laundry soap cap containing rubbing alcohol.

Every now and then I clean my shave brushes in very hot water using the Ship Shape soap product from
Sally's Beauty Supply.

Wash your shaving utensils with soap or detergent, they'll be as clean and sanitary as the dishes and silverware you use at the restaurant.

Health departments strictly regulate the methods in which restaurant dishes and silverware must be cleaned. Either they have to be cleaned using a chlorine containing detergent or rinsed using very hot water, much hotter than comes out of residential hot water heater.

Even at home, washing dishes in a dish washer using a detergent designed for use in a dish washer will sanitize dishes far better than washing them in the sink will accomplish.

Barbicide is certified for use as directed in hospitals as well as barbershops, salons, etc. as it will kill many pathogens that are not killed effectively by isopropyl alcohol.

Although most pathogens die within minutes, hours, or days, there are some spore forming bacteria and fungi/molds whose spores can survive for years. The spores of the Anthrax bacillum have been known to persist in soil for up to 48 years. I do not have any idea how long they might persist on a razor, but if a shaving brush were infected with anthrax spores, that might be an issue. There was a serious outbreak of anthrax during WW I when soldiers were issued shaving brushes contaminated with Anthrax spores. The brushes were not properly sanitized.

A 16 oz bottle of Barbicide costs about $5 and will make several quarts of disinfecting solution. It is a cheap price to pay for insurance against infection when introducing vintage equipment into service.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If the razor is brass, probably anything on it has died long ago. Probably true even if not brass. Barbicide is superior to alcohol. Alcohol is most effective against Gramm negative bacteria. Gramm positive bacteria are not harmed by alcohol. Barbicide is more general.

Personally, just give it a 30 second soak in a bleach / water solution.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
If the razor is brass, probably anything on it has died long ago. Probably true even if not brass. Barbicide is superior to alcohol. Alcohol is most effective against Gramm negative bacteria. Gramm positive bacteria are not harmed by alcohol. Barbicide is more general.

Personally, just give it a 30 second soak in a bleach / water solution.
I agree about the Barbicide, but isn't bleach corrosive and stains stainless steel?

I agree about the Barbicide, but isn't bleach corrosive and stains stainless steel?

There are lots of different types of stainless steel. For example, stainless steel utensils are regularly washed in dishwashers that use detergents containing bleach. Those are typically 300 series stainless. Most SS razors are made from some type off 300 series stainless. Karve razors are made of 303 stainless. Some higher priced razors are made from higher grades like 316.

Unfortunately, 300 series stainless cannot be sharpened to a razor edge, so knives, straight razors and razor blades are produced from grades of stainless steel with lower levels of chromium content. They can be affected by bleach.

Bleach should not be used with some metals like brass and bronze, aluminum, and Zamac. Thus, Barbicide is a far better choice for sanitizing razors unless the razor is stainless steel.

Knives and razor blades are made with

Top Bottom