Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Barbicide or alcohol

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    201
    Images
    1

    Default Barbicide or alcohol

    Is Barbicide necessary to sterilize an old razor or will an alcohol soak be adequate.
    Proud member of BOTOC (Brotherhood of the Open Comb) and LOSER

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The town Billy Joel bashes at every concert he performs.
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    If the razor is dirty with soap scum, a soak in Scrubbing Bubbles will both clean and sterilize it. For razors that are already clean, I just use alcohol... and I haven't died of infection yet.
    Just a traveling cat in a tall black hat riding a goat. Nothing to see here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Posts
    10,600

    Default

    Barbicide is not necessary.

    Wash with dishwashing soap/water, scrub with a toothbrush. Spray with Scrubbing Bubbles and let the foam die down, then scrub with a toothbrush again. Rinse thoroughly.

    Take some 70% rubbing alcohol, wet a cotton ball with it, and then wipe the razor with it. Allow the razor to air dry.


    Good to go.
    Randall, member of BOTOC

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Any living organisms will die if the razor is left alone for a day or two, so all you really need to do is scrub the scum, dirt and grime off of it with dish soap, scrubbing bubbles or some other cleaning agent that won't harm the finish or coating of the razor. I recommend using an old tooth brush to get into all of the nooks and crannies.

    I never quite understand why people soak their DE razors for X amount of time in barbicide or alcohol. If you're going to soak anything in a disinfectant soak the things that are going to cut you (the blades) and not the harmless hunk of metal that just glides across your skin.
    And even that's not necessary, we have an immune system for a reason.
    Do you soak your kitchen knives in alcohol before cutting a salad?

    Just my 2 cents.
    Chuck Norris gets a BBS shave with a wallpaper knife, and he has never changed the blade.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    201
    Images
    1
    Thread Starter

    Default

    When I was at the store yesterday, I saw many different varieties of Scrubbing Bubbles. Which should I get?
    Proud member of BOTOC (Brotherhood of the Open Comb) and LOSER

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The town Billy Joel bashes at every concert he performs.
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Just Scrubbing Bubbles brand soap scum remover/bathroom cleaner in the aerosol can. I don't know if they have different scents now, but I wouldn't think it would matter. Just don't get Ka-Boom soap scum remover instead... I heard it eats brass.
    Just a traveling cat in a tall black hat riding a goat. Nothing to see here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    n.calif & mt.kilimanjaro
    Posts
    7,094

    Default

    I use Mar-V-Cide on my brushes once every 2 months.I dip the brush down PAST the knot ,and onto the handle,so the anti-microbial ingredients can get deep into the base of the knot.I don't want to crack the handle,so I only leave the handle submerged for 2 minutes,then I elevate it ,so only the top 2/3rds of the knot are submerged,5 minutes is enough....mold,microbes etc. are far more likely to fester deep down in the knot than on your metal razor.The other tips are just fine to sterilize your razors,toothbrush,scrubbing bubbles and hot water rinse.Dry it off with toilette paper.Marvy is good if you want to douse your blades,just PAT them dry with tp,don't wipe them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    I paid something like $7-8 for some Barbicide, for that little money why not just do it?
    David

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The River City
    Posts
    2,389
    Images
    5

    Default

    The way I look at it, if I saw my barber pull out her scissors/ blade and spray them off with scrubbing bubbles or some form of alcohol...I would feel a little uneasy.
    However, I use both scrubbing bubble for clean up and barbicide for sterilization.
    Self proclaimed Slant-aholic - 2012, 2013, 2014 MOvember participant

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malocchio View Post
    I use Mar-V-Cide on my brushes once every 2 months.I dip the brush down PAST the knot ,and onto the handle,so the anti-microbial ingredients can get deep into the base of the knot.I don't want to crack the handle,so I only leave the handle submerged for 2 minutes,then I elevate it ,so only the top 2/3rds of the knot are submerged,5 minutes is enough....mold,microbes etc. are far more likely to fester deep down in the knot than on your metal razor.The other tips are just fine to sterilize your razors,toothbrush,scrubbing bubbles and hot water rinse.Dry it off with toilette paper.Marvy is good if you want to douse your blades,just PAT them dry with tp,don't wipe them.
    Never really thought about the mold etc. but you are completely right, the razor seems to dry off faster, at most it gets some rust. But Badger hair can sometimes stay wet (I've had mine not dry out a couple of times before the next shave due to my error of not squeezing out enough water).

    My question for the brushed is 1. How long have you been doing this and 2. Have you noticed any issues at all?

    Not sure how the current recommended tip of vinegar and water will kill all off everything, maybe most, not sure, but I guess if it does work it would be a lot less damaging (I would think) than Mar-v-cide. Then again I'm not really sure, just sounds like hair would get a little funky with that strong of a chemical, but the shampoo/conditioner might bring it back fine, the problem is I'm wonder how it will affect the brush in the long-term (if you're like me and have extra razors, but brushes are a bit pricey to ruin!)
    David

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
    I paid something like $7-8 for some Barbicide, for that little money why not just do it?
    If you already have some sunk money in Barbicide, you might as well use it.

    Recently I have been letting the head of my razor soak in rubbing alcohol for a few seconds while I go through my post shave routine, but really have to question the need to do so.

    I don't normally keep Scrubbinb Bubbles around the house, so for my last acquisition of an old razor I cleaned off the gunk with toothpaste and some vinegar, rinsed in hot water, soaked it in Lysol, rinsed again, soaked in alcohol, and rinsed again. When I get the next razor, I'll probably skip the Lysol bath.
    ~Paul

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PugslyCat View Post
    If you already have some sunk money in Barbicide, you might as well use it.

    Recently I have been letting the head of my razor soak in rubbing alcohol for a few seconds while I go through my post shave routine, but really have to question the need to do so.

    I don't normally keep Scrubbinb Bubbles around the house, so for my last acquisition of an old razor I cleaned off the gunk with toothpaste and some vinegar, rinsed in hot water, soaked it in Lysol, rinsed again, soaked in alcohol, and rinsed again. When I get the next razor, I'll probably skip the Lysol bath.
    Just to clarify, I bought and used the barbacide on vintage razors I purchased (some may have been previously sanitized, but just for my own peace of mind I did them all at once).

    If I just had my own Merkur I have been the only one to use...I don't think I'd dip it in Barbacide, that doesn't sound so useful, I think I'd use alcohol and still only dip it in because I feel like that's pretty harsh for something that really shouldn't need to be sterilized...if I'm the only person using it I'm not sure how easy it is to have any issues, I leave it out to air dry and never noticed it wet the next day.
    David

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Barbicide/Marvicide will give you a bit of extra sterilization of your newly obtained vintage razor, compared to, say, alcohol. That said, I wouldn't use it for regular cleaning, since they are pretty toxic.
    Shavetools.com: Traditional products for modern wet shavers: Vie-Long, Edwin Jagger, Razorock, Tabac, Muhle, and more.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    n.calif & mt.kilimanjaro
    Posts
    7,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
    Never really thought about the mold etc. but you are completely right, the razor seems to dry off faster, at most it gets some rust. But Badger hair can sometimes stay wet (I've had mine not dry out a couple of times before the next shave due to my error of not squeezing out enough water).

    My question for the brushed is 1. How long have you been doing this and 2. Have you noticed any issues at all?

    Not sure how the current recommended tip of vinegar and water will kill all off everything, maybe most, not sure, but I guess if it does work it would be a lot less damaging (I would think) than Mar-v-cide. Then again I'm not really sure, just sounds like hair would get a little funky with that strong of a chemical, but the shampoo/conditioner might bring it back fine, the problem is I'm wonder how it will affect the brush in the long-term (if you're like me and have extra razors, but brushes are a bit pricey to ruin!)
    ......I sent a vintage butterscotch duke I used for about 25 years to rudy vey a few years back,when a crack in the handle became worse and worse.Rudy found a nasty patch of mold growing deep in the knot,even though I always let it thoroughly dry.I never used disinfectant until that day.I have been using Mar-V-Cide every few months since then.Marvicide is safe for brushes,and used in proper dilution,has no scent and once rinsed out is gone for good,nothing toxic in the brush at all.It is 100% as effective as barbicide but costs 50% less to use.You should vigorously shake as much water out of your brush as possible,then hang upside down for maximum drying. A second or third brush really helps a lot,giving your brushes time to really get bone dry in between shaves.With a nice Marvy disinfectant jar you can disinfect all your brushes at one time,or 1-2 brushes and your razor..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,427
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Threeme2189 View Post
    Any living organisms will die if the razor is left alone for a day or two, so all you really need to do is scrub the scum, dirt and grime off of it with dish soap, scrubbing bubbles or some other cleaning agent that won't harm the finish or coating of the razor. I recommend using an old tooth brush to get into all of the nooks and crannies.

    I never quite understand why people soak their DE razors for X amount of time in barbicide or alcohol. If you're going to soak anything in a disinfectant soak the things that are going to cut you (the blades) and not the harmless hunk of metal that just glides across your skin.
    And even that's not necessary, we have an immune system for a reason.
    Do you soak your kitchen knives in alcohol before cutting a salad?

    Just my 2 cents.
    While I totally agree with you in the exact spirit of your post, and feel anything beyond some soap and water are totally silly to waste time and/or money on, it's not true that any living organism will die in a couple of days. Some spore producing organism such as anthrax can live for years, even decades on an otherwise perfectly clean surface. In fact, horse hair brushes were once banned in the U.S. because they were spreading anthrax.

    I still would not even hesitate to rinse a razor that is otherwise clean under some hot water and shave with it... A quick spray, couple minutes soak time with any scrubbing bubbles formula and a minute with a toothbrush and you are good to go for even a dirty one.
    Brian - I think it would be totally inappropriate for me to even contemplate what I am thinking about.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    DeRidder, LA
    Posts
    6,468
    Images
    79

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DamnFineBob View Post
    If the razor is dirty with soap scum, a soak in Scrubbing Bubbles will both clean and sterilize it. For razors that are already clean, I just use alcohol... and I haven't died of infection yet.
    Bob:
    ...I use a spray bottle filled with alcohol to sterilze my razors.

    "Don't worry about the [cuts, weepers and] nicks and pick up your life...forget all the bad things, the pain and the strife". Author Unknown
    Chris ~ Order of Pinaud, Head & Face Latherers Club United, Alliance of Merkur, League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers, Voskhod Comrades Club, Brotherhood of the Boar, Foxhole Shavers Club & The VDH Society!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA.
    Posts
    364

    Default

    If you have the Barbicide already, then go ahead and use it on vintage or other razors you've acquired from other people (used). Frankly, there is no need to sanitize razors (or blades for that matter) that are exclusively used on you. The only reason you would need to sanitize a razor with such solution, is if someone else used the razor prior to you using it, or if someone uses the razor after you've used it. Back when barbers used a true straight razor, we were required by law to sterilize the razor before using it again on another customer (basically, the straight razors were communal razors... the same razor use on everyone). Also, the reason barbers long ago used after shave splashes of high alcohol content, was to sanitize your face for extra precaution against the possible nicks, weepers, etc...
    Gentlemen... Enjoy Your Shaves! - Troy (SABRE)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost in the lather
    Posts
    20,047
    Images
    34

    Default

    I use barbicide because I like having the cool barber's soak jar on the counter in the shave den


  19. #19

    Default

    Barbicide is inexpensive, effective, and readily available. What that being said, you can use both. Using both is still inexpensive, and gives you peace of mind.
    Better safe than sorry.
    I keep Christ in Christmas...........Founder of the COA

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Does anyone know if it's safe to use Barbicide on brushes? Will it disinfect the way Mar-V-Cide does?

Similar Threads

  1. Does Alcohol=Barbicide?
    By Rancor16 in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 01:10 AM
  2. No Barbicide. Rubbing Alcohol OK?
    By Jethro1984 in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
  3. barbicide or alcohol?
    By mike72 in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 05:53 AM
  4. Barbicide or Isopropyl Alcohol 91%
    By devil24 in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM
  5. Highest Alcohol Content Rubbing Alcohol
    By Slade xTekno in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 10:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.