What's new

Badger or Boar....Soap or Cream?

This is not a debate of which brush is better between badger and boar. It's more of a question of what are the strengths or weaknesses of one versus the other in terms of the software.

When you shave with tubes or tubbed creams are you always using a _____ brush? When you use a hard soap are you using ____ brush? What about melt and pour soaps?

I now have a badger and a boar brush in my rotation and am wondering with which soaps/creams will one perform better than the other? Or is it just a matter of opinion?

I think it's kind of dependent on which soap, and which brush, in particular.
Today, for fun I used my little omega boar brush (40033) with my Cade. It created a different type of lather than either my horse or my two badgers. One thing that caught me off guard was when I was done, I caught myself thinking, "this is why I'm a boar brush lover". I had never thought that I was a "boar guy", per se, but rather someone who appreciates the stiffness and beautifully soft, yet scrubby tips.
Another strange thing about this is I almost always think my V-L horsehair is the perfect brush. AND to further complicate things, my Wee Scot is a perfect match for shave sticks....

I don't use a particular brush for soaps or creams, they both generate lather out of whatever product you happen to use, they just get at the final result differently. The boar brush takes longer (more swirls are required) and tends to generate a thicker lather. The badger brush lathers in about half the time and generates a more foamy lather.

Boar brushes are coarser, and do a better job of exfoliation. (I've also noticed that the painting motion with a boar brush gets way more lather on your face than the badger which I need to apply in circular motions on my face)

Depending on the boar brush I would say that they generally can hold more lather because of the increased loft. Water tends to run out of a boar brush more than a badger so I usually need to add more drips of water to the boar brush while I'm mixing.

i don't use a particular brush for soaps or creams, they both generate lather out of whatever product you happen to use, they just get at the final result differently. The boar brush takes longer (more swirls are required) and tends to generate a thicker lather. The badger brush lathers in about half the time and generates a more foamy lather.

Boar brushes are coarser, and do a better job of exfoliation. (i've also noticed that the painting motion with a boar brush gets way more lather on your face than the badger which i need to apply in circular motions on my face)

depending on the boar brush i would say that they generally can hold more lather because of the increased loft. Water tends to run out of a boar brush more than a badger so i usually need to add more drips of water to the boar brush while i'm mixing.

this.

yeah, what nsideguy said... Just wanted to add, my FS silvertip is only good for creams and when applying a stick to the face, while my FS Finest and my Omega Boar are great all-rounders, but with hard soaps I prefer the boar. Also the massaging you get from Boar vs Badger is different and the only way to know which you prefer is trying it. My 3 brushes are really unexpensive, so if you want to expand your brush selection and unless you can try a brush for free, I'd recommend you get an FS Finest Badger or an Omega Boar to try before you try to invest in a more expensive brand

wow thanks, this is exactly what I have experienced. I have to say even though I have some nice badger brushes, I get the best later out of my omega

I don't use a particular brush for soaps or creams, they both generate lather out of whatever product you happen to use, they just get at the final result differently. The boar brush takes longer (more swirls are required) and tends to generate a thicker lather. The badger brush lathers in about half the time and generates a more foamy lather.

Boar brushes are coarser, and do a better job of exfoliation. (I've also noticed that the painting motion with a boar brush gets way more lather on your face than the badger which I need to apply in circular motions on my face)

Depending on the boar brush I would say that they generally can hold more lather because of the increased loft. Water tends to run out of a boar brush more than a badger so I usually need to add more drips of water to the boar brush while I'm mixing.

In regards to the foamy lather coming from the badger, they tend to build lather a tad quicker and load a little more readily than boars. Try doubling your load time with the badger and see if you get a creamier lather then. Foamy lather is almost always a sign of too little product, or too much water. I start with a drier brush, given a full squeeze after soaking.

I agree with you here. You never hear anyone say "such and such boar brush is a real lather hog". You will hear that about some badger brushes. I generate an equal amount of lather from both types of brushes, but rarely have enough to do the four passes I normally do with a boar. It's not that it isn't there, it just releases so much more per pass if that makes sense.

I think they are holding similar amounts of lather, it's just that the badger holds it differently. All the lather in the boar is "ready to go" but the badger gives it up slower, and as you face lather through the shave, continues to create lather more so than the boar. Boars are sort of sprinters, and badgers are marathon runners in this way.

yeah, what nsideguy said... Just wanted to add, my FS silvertip is only good for creams and when applying a stick to the face, while my FS Finest and my Omega Boar are great all-rounders, but with hard soaps I prefer the boar. Also the massaging you get from Boar vs Badger is different and the only way to know which you prefer is trying it. My 3 brushes are really unexpensive, so if you want to expand your brush selection and unless you can try a brush for free, I'd recommend you get an FS Finest Badger or an Omega Boar to try before you try to invest in a more expensive brand

I don't have a huge number of silvertip brushes only two designated as such. The Simpsons Commodore X3 I picked up feels like a TGN Grade A Silvertip with just a hair more scritch. I think to have a silvertip be a good all-rounder it needs to be quite dense and set at the correct loft. I have found great success with the TGN Finest Grade. If the OP wants to experience a great brush for both soaps and creams, he really should consider giving one of these a try. Pick up an expensive handle, drill out the old knot and set the appropriate sized TGN Finest in there.

At the end of the day though, I use any brush with either soaps or creams. I'll put my super soft Omega silvertip on to a soap as quickly as I will a cream. Likewise I'll use any badger with a cream as well. I'm not a huge believer in the whole this brush is good for product x and this is better for product y. You could have only one brush and make lather for both. Having said that, I have about 18 brushes, and enjoy the variety.

Or is it just a matter of opinion?
It's mostly preference. Your question is just a variation of "Which is better?". I use badger for everything. The next person could be entirely different. Try and see what works best for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom