What's new

What's a good DE for someone prone to ingrown?

Thanks for pointing me to that post. I typically use a blade about 4-5 times before I swap it out but I will heed your advice and throw in a fresh blade after 3. Thanks for helping me improve my shave.

Open comb (OC) was the answer for me. I have a heavy omni directional growth and my neck is particularly sensitive and prone to ingrown hairs. It is the reason I gave up the carts and canned goo. With a CC I was experiencing razor burn from multiple passes and too much pressure. I found that the OC helps lift the hair and I find a get a closer shave with less passes, resulting in little or no burn. Haven't had any issues since I made the switch to OC.

Last edited:
I am somewhat biased being the founder of the Brotherhood of the Open Comb....but the primary reason I have become such a evangelist for Open Comb razor is there ability to give smooth comfortable, efficient shaves with less irritation.

At 48 yrs old, I always had problems with bumps on my neck, irritation and even ingrown hairs. By using a OC with aa good quality sharp blade, I've eliminated those problems. I can also get by with less passes, which for me translates to less irritation.

I always recommend the Vintage 1930's Gillette NEW OC in either Long, or Short Comb as a great place to start....not overly aggressive, but will slice through your beard like a hot knife through butter.

In Modern razors, the Merkur 41C (also known as the 1904 OC) is a great value (under $30 new) and is a very mild razor...I would argue as mild as the much loved Edwin Jagger DE89 or a Vintage 1940's superspeed. The same head is used in a variety of models including the 11c (which is now discontinued, but can still be found) and other. Muhle also used that head on it 's 2010 R41 OC.

A good lather and prep is essential, and I would recommend face lathering if you have ingrown issues. A aspirin crushed up and mixed with some witch hazel will give some relief too.

Not sure if is this relavent, but folks seem to mention daily shaving to combat this

Last edited:
Top Bottom