What's new

Suggestion on Jeans?

I've been wearing 501 stf's for years, always love them. I recently got a pair of unbranded jeans that im really liking. Good entry level selvedge. Raw 14.5 oz Japanese selvedge denim for not a lot more than the 501's. Same denim as naked and famous for a bit less.

Last edited:
What's the difference between selvedge and rigid denim? I looked on Levi's website and found rigid (shrink to fit) 501's for $48 but the "selvedge" was $198 for 501's.

I am a big fan of Eddie Bauer denim. I wear the slim fit in a variety of washes, and the never seem to fade. They are good, thick, durable denim. I give my jeans hell, and neither wrangler nor levi would last me more than a couple of months. My jeans from EB are going on 1.5 years. Not bad on the price either.

I had some Lucky jeans which I really liked. Back to my earlier post, I think I answered my question myself after doing a little googling. It seems that selvage (or selvedge) denim may offer increased durability but the degree to which is not clear. It appears that selvage denim is made on a different style loom than regular denim, but both regular and selvage can be had in an unwashed/rigid state and both will shrink to fit. Has anyone compared the two types, starting from a rigid pair of jeans? I cannot believe the difference in price is justifiable based on performance of the fabric. I can understand it based on the fact that selvage must be produced by a less efficient method.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definitely no Ed Hardy in my future. I didn't even dress like that when I was 19.

FWIW, these jeans probably won't see any "abuse". Even if they aren't $200. I have jeans for that, they are just not going to any work related functions anytime soon.

I do like that Nordstrom will tailor the AGs, but I want to get a Levi's Store too.

DeusVult - The "Raw Selvedge" and "Murray Hill" selvedge 501s on the Levis site are also Made in USA, which apparently means close to $200. Interestingly enough the Brooks Brothers Levis 501s, also Made in USA, are "only" $148, although there is no selvedge option.

I've seen extra-pricey Levi's prominently labelled "Made in Japan". It would be interesting to determine the differences in manufacturing standards between these two denim giants. I wonder if Levi's have invested in new old-style looms for their domestically produced clothing. Would be good to see a bona fide American Classic holding it's own again. I do think it likely that wages are higher in Japan than The US, at least for workers in this sector and wonder how many companies now place an "over-premium" on US-made goods, due to current popular sentiment. Note the emphasis placed on the watchmaker Kobold's press

I've tried a number of different brands of jeans over the past few years and have consistently ended up back at Joe's Jeans - http://joesjeans.com/ - they are a premium denim maker, but don't have the completely outrageous $300 price tag. Not sure where you live, but I've been able to head to a number of outlet malls and pick up a pair for less than $150, and a few times for less than a $100 pair. Work is generally formal, but we have two jeans Fridays a month and I have two nice dark pair of Joe's that I'll wear. I have bought their classic fit and relaxed fit - classic is perfect for the office, relaxed for the weekend.

No frowns here.

Denim's roots are in cheap working clothes for the masses ... cowboys, miners, so forth ... and there's nothing wrong with taking it back there. (If I spent $400 on a pair of jeans, I'd be afraid to "give 'em hell", which should be standard operating procedure for wearing and washing.)

Wrangler is a bit too 'cowboy' for my personal taste, but that's just YMMV.

On jeans, and many other things, I'm strictly old school. Give me dark blue denim (no fake rips or wear, no fade spots), straight legs of the proper length and good, sturdy, heavy cloth and I'm content. Today I'm wearing a pair I picked up at a day-after-Thanksgiving sale at Bass Pro Shops for 10 bucks. USA-made denim, though assembled in Mexico (I suspect at the same place that makes Carhartts and that other great jeans bargain, Costco's Kirkland brand). No fancy stitching on the rear pockets, no designer name. Just honest jeans, like something James Dean would have worn.

What's the difference between selvedge and rigid denim? I looked on Levi's website and found rigid (shrink to fit) 501's for $48 but the "selvedge" was $198 for 501's.
Selvedge is a different looming process. It uses much lower tension thread and yields a narrower bolt of fabric with a finished edge. Because of this you tend to have heavier fabric weights and the characteristic "selvedge" finishing (generally shown on the outseam). The fabric tends to wear a bit better and take on a bit more character as it does so, but the process is much slower and has lower yields which result in a higher price.

Rigid just means the denim hasn't been washed before being sold. This can also be referred to as "dry", "raw", or sometimes "paper" denim. When you handle the fabric it's pretty evident. The same terms can also apply to duck canvas and other heavy workwear fabrics.

Shrink to fit just means the denim is non-sanforized. The Sanforization process has the fabric pressed between heated rubber rollers which pre-shrink the fabric prior to cutting. Sanforized jeans will have minimal shrinkage when soaked, while non-sanforized jeans will shrink substantially (a few inches in both length and circumference). This can give the jeans interesting and sometimes beneficial fit and styling characteristics when soaked in water, but they're more prone to alteration during subsequent washing. The tendency to shrink with washing diminishes after a bit of noticeable wear (in my experience) which is where going a year or two without washing jeans comes from.

Well, since Old Navy are the only ones that seem to fit me well I'd suggest those. They have several different styles as well.

Lucky Brand for me; they always fit well and are extremely comfortable. Always look for sales because you can often find them way, way below retail.

I’m currently on a “dressier – nice pair” of jeans kick myself! But since I’m such a big guy – 6’-4” 330lbs., I’m rather limited on my selection... I currently wear LL Bean Double L jeans, and they’re great but I want something a bit “cooler”… I REALLY want some Iron Heart 634 jeans, (this particular IH style is offered in Sasquatch size – 44” waist), but it’s hard to pull the trigger on a pair of jeans that cost $400.00! But I do respect the fact that they’re made from 21oz. Japanese selvage denim, and would most likely last me a lifetime. But I digress…

Anyway, with the 634s being so expensive I decided I would just buy some Levi’s 501 STF to curb my denim craving. The price point is nice and wouldn’t kill me if they didn’t fit or wear well. From what I’ve read, the STF jeans should be purchased 1 size bigger than your waist and length; no problem except Levi’s STOPPED MAKING the 501 STF in the size I need (46 x 36)! I’ve been looking online to try and find some “new old stock”, and I think I’ve tracked down a pair in Oklahoma! Now it’s become a quest!

Top Bottom