What's new

Current DE Razors - What Are They Made Of?

The "per razor" price of brass seems affordable . . . but on a manufacturing scale of thousands of pieces, the cost savings to use Zamak is HUGE. Also to consider are the economies of scale . . . casting a few razor parts along with other items from the same pot of Zamak is less expensive as opposed to casting smaller runs of brass components . . . I'd be willing to bet the per-unit "process" costs for brass at this scale would be considerably higher than Zamak.

You could well be right! But still, the per unit cost for materials is really small (and probably comparable to plating if they do that right). If this were a highly competitive mass market for rather low-cost items, where 50 cents or a dollar was a real decision point for purchasers, I'd wholly agree. But that's not the situation with DE razors today.

Merkur could add on the extra cost and nobody would even notice. In fact, it could be advertised as a reason for choosing their product.

I've seen some painted parts on old items that have been exposed to weather, and the material looks a whole lot like Zamak. Not corroded after many years. I'm still suspecting quality control issues with the razors. Merkur have some documented QC problems of various sorts, and when I see that in one area I have heightened suspicion about other areas. If they farm out the casting process (I suspect they might), then it becomes a question of what they will tolerate from the supplier, who will cut corners where they can.

All that said, I'd still favor brass.

So, on a related tangent, why cast at all?

Why aren't there modern razors made like the Gem/Ever-Ready 1912 types, or the Gillette Tech, where the heads appear to be punched and stamped? Perhaps a head-mass issue, but part of that could be countered by handle weight, perhaps.

Investment casting is probably way less expensive than the cost of tooling a stamping die. It all comes down to per-unit production costs.

So, on a related tangent, why cast at all?

Why aren't there modern razors made like the Gem/Ever-Ready 1912 types, or the Gillette Tech, where the heads appear to be punched and stamped? Perhaps a head-mass issue, but part of that could be countered by handle weight, perhaps.

Casting is faaaaaar cheaper than milling or stamping. If I had to guess, I would suspect Merkur et al., are getting about a 300% markup- which is respectable to keep your employees happy, especially if the customers are happy to pay for the name and not so much the product.

Milling involves tooling replacement, typically every "X" thousand units. Stamping typically runs replacement every "X" ten, or possibly hundred, thousand units, depending on the hardness of the stock. Casting is almost "infinite", in production terms- the main reason MIM became so favored in firearms manufacturing.

Equally, brass and copper recovery on the battlefield is negligible:rolleyes:, so for the past 15-odd years, we've been dumping a few tons of both in ME sand dunes, which has dramatically increased the price(witness stolen copper from unsecured AC units, across the country, and massive losses of brass tubing from warehouse supply stores).

An interesting premise: we drop a couple kilotons in Iran and Somalia, and proclaim, "we want BRASS razors!" Would anyone screw with the crazy Yanks, after that?:001_cool:

Zamak (pot metal) doesn't belong in razors or guns. Back in the 1960s and 70s, some low end small handguns had some parts made of Zamak. The Raven was probably the most famous...it also was the first handgun to be coined the Saturday Night Special. They were junk and had reliability issue.

That some pot metals contain lead throws in the issue of toxicity. Putting a razor into hot water plus the acidic chemicals that make contact with the razor could cause lead to leach out. In reality, it is probably a small issue but something to think about.

Brad and Rob - Excellent points. I didn't know about the frequency of stamping replacement and cost implications. I'd have guessed that casting was more expensive. Learned something...thanks.

Jeff - I agree. And my .22 target pistol is made of stainless.

Top Bottom