What's new

Scuttles & Mugs

i have a surry that i use but will prob stop using it soon. i like it for the looks but i dont like how deep it is because its sounds like im ringing a bell every morning while im getting some lather lol. it will just go on the shelf next to my many os mugs.

Which one is it plym? I picked up another surrey today. But I still need one to complete my set.

Ok, picked up another Surrey today. It's not the one that I need, but it's one of the ones Sears & Roebuck put their catalog on in the early 1900's. It won't join my others probably, but for $1? Come on, even if I didn't need it, it was a buck!
$9.jpg

Does anyone have a mug that the feels works well for bowl lathering? my Col Conk mug is fairly easy to build a lather in...but....it overflows with lather and is pretty messy...that's why i'm considering the scuttle idea....that and I love warm lather.

Ken, I like the large Barbershop mug on the rare occasions I bowl lather. It's larger than normal, and I just set it in the sink of hot water to keep it warm. After trying the scuttle that's making it's rounds on the traveling scuttle PIF, I just didn't like them. Some people do though. As usual, YMMV!

$10.jpg

What is it that I need to look for to find a Surrey?
I will keep an eye out for you when the wife and I are out at the shops!

Frank, this is the one I'm looking for. I think I have all the others. They say Surrey on them, on the bottom, along with Made in the U.S.A.

proxy.php

OK should be easy enough to spot if I come across it. I will watch out for one. If cheap enough, I will snatch it up. If it turns out you don't want or need it any more, it will go on the shelf.

This is my latest find.
proxy.php

Sweet! That is a nice find.

Nice "little" collection there Frank! Like TX is a "little" state!

OK should be easy enough to spot if I come across it. I will watch out for one. If cheap enough, I will snatch it up. If it turns out you don't want or need it any more, it will go on the shelf.

Thanks! I found one on the Bay, but really don't want to buy from there if I can help it.

I ran across several Old Spice mugs today, the lady said that one of them and the talc bottle were pottery, supposed to be the oldest kind there is. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The handle was broken off the mug, but other than that it was in good shape. Said they had a lot more OS stuff at home, they would bring to the shop so I can check it out. I don't collect OS stuff, but they may make me start. As if I need another AD!

I don't collect anything really. I see something, like it and get it. Next thing you know I got a bunch of it.
I like the mugs with ships on it. I have a thing for the sailing ships I guess.

I ran across several Old Spice mugs today, the lady said that one of them and the talc bottle were pottery, supposed to be the oldest kind there is. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The handle was broken off the mug, but other than that it was in good shape. Said they had a lot more OS stuff at home, they would bring to the shop so I can check it out. I don't collect OS stuff, but they may make me start. As if I need another AD!

Johnnie....check out this link :http://www.cr8on.com/bottle_history.html

One of the BEST resources I've seen for everything OS related....But yes...first bottles were Pottery....

Here is a image of the wooden mold and first prototypes

proxy.php

Thanks Ken. Going by that link, the mug & talc bottle are from 1938-44, made by Hull Pottery. They list the price as $15-$20 on the mug, but with the handle broken off, I don't think that's realistic is it? Maybe $10, more like $8? The bottle is listed at $20, but the metal cap is missing. So maybe $10-$15 for it?

Top Bottom