What's new

Scuttles & Mugs

Johnnie....check out this link :http://www.cr8on.com/bottle_history.html

One of the BEST resources I've seen for everything OS related....But yes...first bottles were Pottery....

Here is a image of the wooden mold and first prototypes

proxy.php

ok this site is good, better than the one i found a few days ago. this one will be saved in favs for sure.

Ken, I like the large Barbershop mug on the rare occasions I bowl lather. It's larger than normal, and I just set it in the sink of hot water to keep it warm. After trying the scuttle that's making it's rounds on the traveling scuttle PIF, I just didn't like them. Some people do though. As usual, YMMV!

View attachment 241131

Thats the mug I've been looking for BUT in Cobalt blue....years ago they sold them at JC Penney, and I seen one around the Holiday times...but I was busy shopping for others and not for myself.....I haven't seen a Blue one since :(

Thanks Ken. Going by that link, the mug & talc bottle are from 1938-44, made by Hull Pottery. They list the price as $15-$20 on the mug, but with the handle broken off, I don't think that's realistic is it? Maybe $10, more like $8? The bottle is listed at $20, but the metal cap is missing. So maybe $10-$15 for it?

Yeah they want too much for them....I would offer $8 tops....and Bottle...maybe $10....if you keep searching the bay, or even etsy they do pop up from time to time...

now im looking forward to going home and dating my mugs lol.

also, jbradley u have sparked a new interest in me. i never thought about collecting slurry mugs. i like old spice mugs but they dont differ a whole lot. it seems that slurry made some pretty cool stuff. i may have to buy 3 display cabinets instead of 2 lol. btw display cabinets r freakin expensive. the ones i want r anyway

On the less than classic side of things, this morning I discovered that a $1.50 salsa bowl works great, at least for MWF.

Would that be the bowl from Wal-Mart? I bought two of them. Very nice for MWF and other soaps. They are unbreakable and pack easily.
$tostitosbowl.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Marvy rubber mug myself. It feels good in the hand and I never have to worry about it getting chipped. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the old scuttles and mugs were so flowery and pink? It's like guys didn't get a vote on bathroom decor for about a hundred years or so.

Well I had a discussion about this with Johnnie last night. Most china was hand painted by women. I have a small collection of tea cups and saucers handed down from my family that were all hand painted by various ladies. The women painted mostly flowers and vines so I am guessing that is why so many of them are feminine. Also, women shaved as well and kept them with their hand mirrors and combs.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the old scuttles and mugs were so flowery and pink? It's like guys didn't get a vote on bathroom decor for about a hundred years or so.

I've discussed this with several people in the past. The general opinion is the scuttles were left out with the wash basins. Since they were left out and were going to be seen by everyone they were made "pretty". And like today, most men probably didn't care, if mama was happy, they were happy. I wish I had an elderly relative to ask. But most of the older ones in my family have passed.

Well I had a discussion about this with Johnnie last night. Most china was hand painted by women. I have a small collection of tea cups and saucers handed down from my family that were all hand painted by various ladies. The women painted mostly flowers and vines so I am guessing that is why so many of them are feminine. Also, women shaved as well and kept them with their hand mirrors and combs.

That's the best explaination I've heard so far, thanks.

I've discussed this with several people in the past. The general opinion is the scuttles were left out with the wash basins. Since they were left out and were going to be seen by everyone they were made "pretty". And like today, most men probably didn't care, if mama was happy, they were happy. I wish I had an elderly relative to ask. But most of the older ones in my family have passed.

That makes sense, I didn't think about the bathroom items being more public in those days, considering that the toilet was probably out behind the house, the scuttle wasn't in the bathroom. Good explaination, thanks.

That makes sense, I didn't think about the bathroom items being more public in those days, considering that the toilet was probably out behind the house, the scuttle wasn't in the bathroom. Good explaination, thanks.
Spittoons. Chamber Pots. Ah, the good ole days!

Okay, I'll play!

In the beginning there was canned goo and multi-blade cartridge razors in the bathroom. God gazed upon this and said, "I can do better".

So.........God said, "Let there be SE, DE and straight razors, and let them go forth and multiply" and they did! The razors that God had created abounded and new cabinets had to be purchased and or built to provide housing for them. And that was the beginning and the end of the first day.

Next, God said, "Let there be several brands of razor blades to fit the SE and DE razors that I have created, allow them to be purchased in quantities of 100+ and let them go forth and multiply", and they did! More drawer space was then needed to house all of the various blades. And that was the beginning and the end of the second day.

God then said, "Let there be a variety of shaving soaps and creams. Let them be available in pucks, tubes, jars and sticks and let them go forth and multiply", and they did. Additional cupboard space was needed to provide housing for the many soaps and creams. And that was the beginning and the end of the third day.

God looked down at what he had thus far created and said, "The pucks of soap containing different fragrances and either tallow or glycerin really need some type of vessel to keep them in. Let there be mugs and let them go forth and multiply", and they did and the counter top soon began to disappear! And that was the beginning and the end of the fourth day.

God saw that the many soaps and creams needed to be applied with something so he said, "Let there be shaving brushes and let them come in many shapes and sizes. Let them be made from Badger, Boar, Horse and Synthetic and let them go forth and multiply", and they did! Racks had to be purchased and built to provide housing for them. And that was the beginning and the end of the fifth day.

God realised that cold lather wasn't all that great, especially in winter, so he said, "Let there be bowls and scuttles to keep the lather and brush warm during the entire shave. Let them come in different shapes and sizes and let them go forth and multiply", and they did! The available counter space again shrank in size. And that was the beginning and the end of the sixth day.

On the seventh day God rested and SWMBO asked him, "Why do you need so much shaving stuff"? And God replied, "Because, MY MILEAGE VARIES"!

Attachments

• $mugs.jpg
    $mugs.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 223
  • $bowls.jpg
    $bowls.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 225
  • $SAM_0438.JPG
    $SAM_0438.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 226
Okay, I'll play!

In the beginning there was canned goo and multi-blade cartridge razors in the bathroom. God gazed upon this and said, "I can do better".

So.........God said, "Let there be SE, DE and straight razors, and let them go forth and multiply" and they did! The razors that God had created abounded and new cabinets had to be purchased and or built to provide housing for them. And that was the beginning and the end of the first day.

Next, God said, "Let there be several brands of razor blades to fit the SE and DE razors that I have created, allow them to be purchased in quantities of 100+ and let them go forth and multiply", and they did! More drawer space was then needed to house all of the various blades. And that was the beginning and the end of the second day.

God then said, "Let there be a variety of shaving soaps and creams. Let them be available in pucks, tubes, jars and sticks and let them go forth and multiply", and they did. Additional cupboard space was needed to provide housing for the many soaps and creams. And that was the beginning and the end of the third day.

God looked down at what he had thus far created and said, "The pucks of soap containing different fragrances and either tallow or glycerin really need some type of vessel to keep them in. Let there be mugs and let them go forth and multiply", and they did and the counter top soon began to disappear! And that was the beginning and the end of the fourth day.

God saw that the many soaps and creams needed to be applied with something so he said, "Let there be shaving brushes and let them come in many shapes and sizes. Let them be made from Badger, Boar, Horse and Synthetic and let them go forth and multiply", and they did! Racks had to be purchased and built to provide housing for them. And that was the beginning and the end of the fifth day.

God realised that cold lather wasn't all that great, especially in winter, so he said, "Let there be bowls and scuttles to keep the lather and brush warm during the entire shave. Let them come in different shapes and sizes and let them go forth and multiply", and they did! The available counter space again shrank in size. And that was the beginning and the end of the sixth day.

On the seventh day God rested and SWMBO asked him, "Why do you need so much shaving stuff"? And God replied, "Because, MY MILEAGE VARIES"!

Stu...that is a awesome collection and fun story too!!

Wow! No one picked up a mug on Saturday? I thought most of us spend all day shopping for this stuff on saturday. I had to take 50 cubscouts to SpaceCamp, surely someone picked up something I can show some love for!

Top Bottom