What's new

Scuttles & Mugs

From December, 2011, when my own "Eureka!" moment came (again), and I started looking for all my old gear, the glass mug I had been using for the infrequent social occasions I want to look especially spiffy was still on the corner of my wash stand, there several preceding it had taken headers from and been broken (and still more recently, the small lathering bowl that comes with the VDH set has done the same).

I told myself i was going to get one of those rubber mugs because of my clumsiness, and even printed out the page it was featured on, and then went out to the Antique stores and Thrift Shops looking for something very cheap and very useful. Besides the glass mug, I've had a plastic advertising mug from a real estate firm as my primary lathering mug. A couple of months after the reformation, and arriving in here, I was attracted to many accoutrements of shaving, but resisting.

And I did, in February and in March. I had two mugs, two brushes, and the same five DE razors (plus a single Injector and single SE for which I had no blades at first). Now, it's mugs and brushes that got past my armor in a rush . .

Do the rubber mugs float like the plastic ones?

SOMEBODY STOP ME!!! Now I lack 2 of the Surrey mugs I believe.

proxy.php

I think I need the Stutz, which I'm watching on the bay, and the Sears one. Am I right someone?

Ok guys, I can't afford to keep this thing going all by myself!

proxy.php

I didn't even know Surrey made this one.

Awesome stuff. I would love any number of these mugs.

Maybe a sub forum in soaps, but it could be cross linked from brushes too... Ooooo tough. I understand why they leave it alone.

Phil

Do the rubber mugs float like the plastic ones?
In spite of my intentions, I ended up with ceramic and glass instead. The Old Spice mug came, and looks much smaller than my memory of the one I had in the 1950s -- like it's been scaled down to 2/3 of the size it should be. The Surrey still isn't here yet . . with the Stutz Bearcat roadster image on it.

Johnnie...I had no idea that you had that many car mugs!! My mugs are pretty simple..a Old Spice and Col Conl apothecary mug....I keep looking at various scuttles...and am considering getting one custom made....for me..I need some larger than either mug I use...

For everyone that has posted: What do you find to be the "perfect size" for your needs???

I used an old glass ashtray for a long time. I saw the VDH mentioned but I got the Col. Conk mug. I had to spend like nineteen bucks for the mug and puck but what the heck. The mouth is flared and the handle is a bulb instead of a loop. I didn't think so at first by looking at it but it actually provides a better grip (especially with wet hands) than the loop. Use it everyday.

I find the Old Spice mugs to be just about the right size. Regular "coffee mug" types are generally too tall and there's to much clankityclankclank going on when loading the brush.

The star of my mug collection is a NIB pre-WWII Old Spice mug.

My Seaforth mug is just for display, it's a little smallish for my taste.

I've got a Conk scuttle I found in a second hand shop, as well as a Fuller brush sort-of-scuttle.

I've so far resisted the urge grab the Surrey, Burma Shave and Avon mugs. I would like to own an old GI mug with the US markings.

I find the Old Spice mugs to be just about the right size.

I live in a location where there are not great resources for finding antique mugs and I have probably expressed that a little in these forum before.

I was however somewhat taken back a little by the very generous offer of one of our B&B members who offered to send me a OS mug which eventually found it's way safely over the pacific to Australia. I won't embarrass him by naming him, however I am still touched by this act of kindness. Thanks again mate.

Anyway, I agree with Topgumby, the size of the OS mug is just about perfect to hold a quantity of soap and to load the brush without too much clankityclankclank happening and as I usually shave in the morning before heading off to work I have learned during 33 years of wedded bliss that a happy wife is one who is not disturbed too early in the morning, then this mug is a good size.

Here is a picture of the mug that our generous member took as he was sending the mug to me.

$OSMug01 (Small).JPG

I live in a location where there are not great resources for finding antique mugs and I have probably expressed that a little in these forum before.

I was however somewhat taken back a little by the very generous offer of one of our B&B members who offered to send me a OS mug which eventually found it's way safely over the pacific to Australia. I won't embarrass him by naming him, however I am still touched by this act of kindness. Thanks again mate.

Anyway, I agree with Topgumby, the size of the OS mug is just about perfect to hold a quantity of soap and to load the brush without too much clankityclankclank happening and as I usually shave in the morning before heading off to work I have learned during 33 years of wedded bliss that a happy wife is one who is not disturbed too early in the morning, then this mug is a good size.

Here is a picture of the mug that our generous member took as he was sending the mug to me.

View attachment 240971

The generosity of our members never seizes to amaze me ! I use my old spice mug for soap also and to load my brush. 90% I make a superlather...with soap and cream. I face lather 50% of the time, and bowl lather the other half.

Does anyone have a mug that the feels works well for bowl lathering? my Col Conk mug is fairly easy to build a lather in...but....it overflows with lather and is pretty messy...that's why i'm considering the scuttle idea....that and I love warm lather.

I♥MUGS. I have 3 Sportsman ones, the 50's repro of the old occupational mugs. They are totally awesome. I'll post a pic of a couple I have at this house later when the sun comes out.

Top Bottom