What's new

Scuttles & Mugs

Never thought of myself as a mug person, but minutes before I found this thread I pulled the trigger on a Marvy green rubber shaving mug, which I admit I've had my eye on forever. Thinking of dedicating it to Mike's Natural Soaps Barber Shop, when it comes back into stock (soon, I hope!).

Attachments

• $marvy.jpg
    $marvy.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 364

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Here's my collection of Mugs;

1. My Sterling Silver Baby Cup (as my soap & travel mug...which is engraved with my full name & birth date and these engraved quotes;
"To Smoke is Human..."To Smoke Cigars is Divine" and "A Great Lather is Half the Shave").

attachment.php

2. I found this mug at the 'Dollar Store' a few months ago...a perfect ceramic shaving mug (actually a small coffee cup & very fitting as a home shaving mug).

attachment.php

3. And finally, my Sears, Roebuck & Co. Surrey Milk Glass Shaving Mug (3¼ inch tall, 3⅜ inch diameter and also very fitting as a home shaving mug).

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
"Laughter is the [shaving mug]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart". Mort Walker

Last edited:
I use an enamel mug that is both chipped and rusting.

It isn`t ll that nice but I need something to go with my face in the mornings.

recently, when i was posting a thread asking a question about some "gaylord" mugs, i searched for the better part of 15 minutes thinking there must be a mug sub forum, before finally creating it in the general section like everyone else.

so besides my sara bonneyman scuttle which i use, i have 5 minty 1950-60's old spice mugs, a really nice quality 2 tone brown unmarked and my 2 gaylord horsehead mugs, which are really cool looking.

$P1010278.jpg
$P1010279.jpg

Never thought of myself as a mug person, but minutes before I found this thread I pulled the trigger on a Marvy green rubber shaving mug, which I admit I've had my eye on forever. Thinking of dedicating it to Mike's Natural Soaps Barber Shop, when it comes back into stock (soon, I hope!).
From December, 2011, when my own "Eureka!" moment came (again), and I started looking for all my old gear, the glass mug I had been using for the infrequent social occasions I want to look especially spiffy was still on the corner of my wash stand, there several preceding it had taken headers from and been broken (and still more recently, the small lathering bowl that comes with the VDH set has done the same).

I told myself i was going to get one of those rubber mugs because of my clumsiness, and even printed out the page it was featured on, and then went out to the Antique stores and Thrift Shops looking for something very cheap and very useful. Besides the glass mug, I've had a plastic advertising mug from a real estate firm as my primary lathering mug. A couple of months after the reformation, and arriving in here, I was attracted to many accoutrements of shaving, but resisting.

And I did, in February and in March. I had two mugs, two brushes, and the same five DE razors (plus a single Injector and single SE for which I had no blades at first). Now, it's mugs and brushes that got past my armor in a rush . .

Only the Surrey is different from the Old Spice Mugs and Barbershop mugs you have already seen. It's no longer easy to grab photos out of eBay listings, or I'd do that.

View attachment 239842

That's what the one looks like

View attachment 239843

You've seen these before.

Meanwhile, I have a cute, new little camera that wants a newer computer (it wants Windows 7) operating system. I'm going to see about using some Cannon software from an older camera of theirs.

Both quite nice.

I'm cheap so I go with the ceramic soup bowl size mug with a ring on it (looks like a giant size coffee cup) from Big Lots or dollar store. I used to have some old spice mugs from years ago but they remain packed away somewhere since moving 6 years ago.

I found a 1950's Burma Shave mug the other day in mint condition. I have no idea why I bought it, I dont need it but yet I felt compelled to buy it. It will probably wind up on BST. Curse you impulse buys!
I feel your pain...especially when I look at my PayPal account! Whoa...

i started with a coffee mug, and now use the ceramic bowl that comes in the VDH deluxe set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSrfz3fR0zY ....like my lather warmer? dollar store..

i do have a question though. i have noticed alot of mugs for sale have 3 holes in the top, and the bottom looks like the hot water would be way too far down to be able to keep the lather warm.
i have never tried one, but it would seem to be very ineffective. anyone here have one?

I bought a couple of glass ramekins at Target for .99 each. They work great for soap samples, I think I may try milling a full puck into one as well.

As promised, here are some pics of my mugs. I'll get the rest later.
$1.jpg$2.jpg$4.jpg$5.jpg$7.jpg

I've won another one on a BIN, I'll post it in a bit, as well as the other 3 that I have.

The last of the ones I have.
$3.jpg$6.jpg
This is my Dad's, it looks dirty, but isn't. Just old I guess.
$8.jpg
And one I just got off the Bay in a BIN
proxy.php

My 'mug' is a University of Alabama coffee cup that belonged to my late older brother. It's help personalize my morning shave and I think he'd be glad I found a use that that old cup.

My 'mug' is a University of Alabama coffee cup that belonged to my late older brother. It's help personalize my morning shave and I think he'd be glad I found a use that that old cup.

You can't beat that. It's like using your dads stuff. No better way to remember them every day.

First I used a ramekin, then a red plastic coffee mug. I have upgraded to the black mug that comes with the VDH set (I really like the look of it) and found a nice antique OS mug at Abovethetie.com the other day. I couldn't help but pull the trigger on the OS mug.

I personally think hot water in a sink is enough, so I never bought a fancy mug. One came with my VDH set and I got an Old Spice one from BST. If I need more that badly I think I'll go to some cheap store and try to just get a cheap coffee mug or something...

Top Bottom