Thread: 2nd shave of the day?

Default 2nd shave of the day?

Thankfully it's somewhat infrequent, but occasionally I find myself needing to shave twice in one day due to a formal event at night. Got to love having a dark beard and the associated Nixon 5 o'clock shadow. I have not had to do this since I started DE shaving a few months back, however. In a few weeks I will likely need to once again.

My face used to scream bloody murder for a second shave of the day during the carts and gel days (usually full on weepers, which was rare otherwise). Any tips as to what works for you guys as far as mild or aggressive setup for a second shave or do you just repeat the morning routine?

Thanks and happy shaving
    Dave

Images

When I find myself in this situation, I just do a 1-pass WTG shave in the morning.
    "Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."
    Mark Twain

Use a mild razor (like a Tech). Make an extra effort to moisturize, for example use lots of GFT skin food as part of your prep and lathering. Depending how how close to BBS you need to be, consider just one or two WTG passes, as these are less likely to irritate your skin. Follow with a good, soothing ASB. Avoid astringents (alum or WH). I often have to do this several times a week for my job and have come to looknforward to the second shave as a bit of a refresher or pick me up.
    Last edited by Amzimbo; 04-29-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Tondeo ergo sum. -BOBN-

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts

I'd go for a very light WTG pass, just one.
    Regards, Paul

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Face&Head View Post
    When I find myself in this situation, I just do a 1-pass WTG shave in the morning.
    +1 to this. Do the bare minimum in the morning to get by during the day and you should be alright to shave again in the evening.
    V/R, GianquiMan

Or do your normal routine in the a.m. and then go easy peasy in the p.m. After all, you're probably only going to need a SAS for a few hours.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks, gents. All good suggestions and the Tech should be a good starting point as it has been the least likely of the bunch to cause irritation in general. I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy shaving
    Dave

I don't see the problem with repeating the morning shave routine, but my Gillette red tip is hardly an aggressive razor, just more so than some other vintage Gillettes. I used to routinely shave a second time in the evening just for the relaxation I got out of it and to work on my technique. I never had any problems doing the exact same shaves a couple of times a day.
    ~Paul

I think I'm going to do a dry run this weekend. I've been on an SS kick the last few weeks; I figure I'll use one of those in the morning and then go for the uber friendly Tech in the evening. We'll see how this goes.

Happy shaving
    Dave

They say Richard Nixon needed to shave twice a day to appear clean-shaven: sorry it's not better company.

Yeah, I can remember my dad calling it the "Nixon 5 o'clock shadow" and I've referred to it as such ever since. I usually have to get up and shave pretty early so the shadow is definitely there by early evening...

Images

Another vote for a Tech (with a Tradere handle if you have one! ). I think I could shave 10 times a day with that setup.
    I keep the Veg in Vegetal.

As my beard has turned much more grey, it becomes less visible from a distance, but still noticeable to your touch or if someone else is near. I still on a rare occasion have to partake in the update shave. You have received some good advice, take it.
    The goal is for each person to find what serves them best in the art of shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmtherrien View Post
    I'd go for a very light WTG pass, just one.
    ^ This.