What's new

Hospitalized from Straight Razor!

Owww...owww...owww. And I thought accidentally closing my razor on the tip of my thumb was a bad wound. I got lucky the first (so far, only) time I dropped my razor. I knocked it off the bathroom counter and I started to try to catch it, but I stopped myself. Luckily, it fell into the laundry basket instead of on the floor. No harm done and I finished my shave.

Who did you have hone your razor? I want his number!! :lol:

All jokes aside..You should heal up fine..I had 50lb block of ice, fall on my hand, and sever my ring finger...They reattached...within months, the feeling came back..Id get a little tingling sensation from time to time, but that too went away. The human body is pretty amazing with these kind of things...KEEP SHAVING!!!!

Last edited:
And the instinctive grabbing of it? Well, maybe the incident will help change your instinct. After years of using sharp tools (woodworking chisels, saws and planes, pocket knives, fishing knives and kitchen knives, as well as razors), my instinct now whenever I drop anything is to pull my hands away and try to get my feet out of the way too.

Still, at least you followed the rules of B&B - photos or it didn't happen :smile:

Word. I am always very careful with knives, which I love to collect, but whenever one starts to fall I literally kick my feet out to keep from getting impaled on one. And like others have said, if you get scared off of straights you can always use a DE for a while until you feel more comfortable with a straight. If you're nervous about jumping back onto the straight horse, don't try to force it.

Ok, I agree don't give up in the shaving; I will tell you I have almost done that same exact thing. Now what you have to concentrate on is getting better and making up an awesome story for that scar. I'm thinking, "its Iraq 2007, your in the green zone and a El quada fighter hurled a knife at President Bush, the only reason he is alive today is because you caught the knife by the blade in mid air." now that ought to get you some free drinks.

Feel better and give it time. we are all with you.

I still have a light mark from a kitchen knife on my left ring ringer..wasnt focused many years ago when I was younger...but as a reminder always keep your blades facing inward facing the middle of the sink...in time will get you back on the straights again..consider this a lesson learned..and yes I nicked myself feed once under my jaw line..bead of sweat touched my razor going inward..wasnt pretty but healed fine..no marks....I also sliced my thumb with my SE razor..also healed just fine hurt like hell and bled good..and yes a another one on my chin area with a Mach3 a year ago in the shower..also healed just fine....:innocent:..you live...you learn..

I wish you a speedy recovery my friend..stay positive!

A MACH3 ? You're comparing severed nerves by a straight razor, to a scrape on your chin from a Mach3 ? :lol:

Last edited:
I hate to hear this but the mistake started by setting a straight razor on a ledge where it could fall,it is not the razors fault.

I hate to hear this but the mistake started by setting a straight razor on a ledge where it could fall,it is not the razors fault.

Oh trust me....I know the blame falls entirely on myself. My fear in returning to SR lies in my own clumsiness. I mean its really the dumbest thing I've done! :nonod:

Keep on shaving, brother. I've got scars from a whole host of other things, all of them more common that straight razors, some of them from catching things in my youth that I should have just let fall. (extremely sharp drawing pencil that has left a tiny round dot of a tattoo in the middle of my hand, kitchen knife that led to a near thumb amputation, etc.)

On the other hand (so-to-speak) This is pretty epic! I'm in agreement with the others... you need a badge!

Who did you have hone your razor? I want his number!! :lol:

I'd tell you but I don't want him to feel guilty! And knowing how nice he is, I'm sure he'd feel terrible for me hurting myself, even though its not his fault at all.

Zap, you had an awful experience and presumably will have learned a good lesson from it. Go with your gut on whether and when to resume SR shaving. Here's hoping for a speedy and great recovery!

I had a brand new spyderco knife that I did the same thing with. Cut the tip of me fourth digit off trying to catch the knife after I dropped it. Didn't need surgery so not quite the same, but I still carry that knife. I think good Steel has to draw blood. Stay on the horse. Don't let a little surgery keep you from getting a great shave. Just don't sacrifice the body to save a razor.

That really sucks. I hope for a speedy recovery for you. Don't rush into giving it up. Give yourself time to think about if you want to continue straight shaving.

Top Bottom