What's new

OK Experts...what the heck is this thing?

Here's an oddball item. I have no clue what it is or what it does.

Anyone know about this one?

$oddball..jpg

It's a Warner-Jones Safety Razor Blade Sharpener. The blade would go in the front, clip-looking end there and the round weight would ride along the table while you honed or stropped the blade. Here's an ad for one from 1919 that illustrates it's use:

It's a Warner-Jones Safety Razor Blade Sharpener. The blade would go in the front, clip-looking end there and the round weight would ride along the table while you honed or stropped the blade. Here's an ad for one from 1919 that illustrates it's use:

You nailed it! Now I see the purpose of the arched/angle of the device. Thanks!

rt2b, if you were wanting a blade hone, that's a decent one. If you have a standard hard Ark, or extra-fine composite, you'll need to add a 3/8"-1/4" riser underneath, to get the angle (more than less) correct. You could also check with Larry, at whippeddog.com, and see about one of his $15 waterstone sections.

Edit: you run the blade back and forth across the hone, with the heavy T-bar sliding on the table. Raising the blade from the hone, you rotate the knurled section, so that the opposite side of the blade is brought around, and repeat. Works like a manual version of the Kriss Kross stropper.

Thanks Rob72...your advice is especially appreciated as I am the happy owner of that sharpening tool along with an SE razor. EBay acquisition for $6.00 plus shipping.

$sharpen.jpg

Thanks Rob72...your advice is especially appreciated as I am the happy owner of that sharpening tool along with an SE razor. EBay acquisition for $6.00 plus shipping.

View attachment 239935

:001_smileI thought you might be watching that one- that's why I didn't bid. Heckuva deal, with a G-bar too!

I'm in the process of taking apart a Strand sharpener, and trying to press it to hold Wilkinson Sword half-wedgies. If I can get the jaws to fit, and a 1200 grit diamond credit-card plate, I'll be a re-furbing monster.:ninja:

Top Bottom