What's new

Howdy from Aggieland!

Good morning all....been a member for a few weeks but this is my first chance to make intros. I got interested in wet shaving when I started shaving my head a few weeks ago. I finally bit the bullet and bought my first starter set last week. I got a Jagger 89L razor, a Crowley and tosh silvertip, as well as TOBS avocado cream and one other cream that I can't remember at the moment.

Since I've started, I have been obsessed with scouring the Internet shops and sites for vintage razors. While traveling last week in the central US, I stopped at every antique store I had time for looking for that elusive gem of a deal!

I must say the weight of these razors are awesome. When I was using cartridges I always was hunting for something that had good mass but was always disappointed. I can definitely say that I have found what I've been searching for.

I have a couple of questions for the masses though.

1). If you were looking for a vintage razor and were a newbie, what would you be buying?
2). Adjustable vs. regular

thanks and I'm looking forward to learning lots on here!

Jody

I started with a Gillette FAT BOY off Ebay. Good performer and adjust ability is a plus. I found pretty good deals on a Gillette SLIM a pair of TECH's and a SUPER SPEED. Then another deal on SUPER SPEED, and an OLD STYLE. Got the itch and bought a NEW off Ebay.

I then walked into a thrift store and found a Fat Handle Gillette TECH, no box, in very very good user grade condition. It was over for the bulk of the rest. I have PIF'd or traded the bulk of the rest.

I like 3 piece razors and not TTO (Twist to open), the ones with the butterfly doors. Personal preference only.

I am keeping the TECH, the NEW and the OLD styles.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)
Welcome to B&B.

Aggies are getting to be like weeds around here! :lol:

Howdy Damn it!

I use to look for the old Gillette techs, FB, slim and then I got on my little SE kick and have been looking for Gem razors as of late.

Good luck and don't go nuts!! I would stick with what you have for a while until you figure out what YOU like.

I've been looking for a good deal on a FB and have a few lowball bids on some good looking ones on eBay. We will see.

Thanks for the hardy welcomes and yep, I am an Aggie--class of '99...WHOOP!

Howdy SlyAggie and fellow Texan. Welcome to the forum. You'll have many friends here with a lot of shave experience to share. Enjoy your shaves.

Welcome to B&B.

Ah ... an Aggie is a Texan ... it figures.

A Razor with Mass ... then get an Adjustable Gilette FatBoy.

For a mild razor a Gillette a SuperSpeed.

For fun try a Gem 1912 SE.

Or an Open Comb Razor.

Welcome and Good Shaving.

Welcome to B&B!

As a fellow newbie, that has now tried out a few different things. I like the 40's Super Speed, Tech, and Red tips! Haven't tried everything though, nor any adjustables.

Howdy! I'm class of '89

The key to eBay is patience. There is always another one so only bid what you are willing to pay. Eventually it will pay off.
I have a circa 1950 tech I picked up at a junk shop for $2. My other daily user is a Mekur 34C.

Howdy! :thumbup1:

Gee...looking at this thread there may be enough of us to have a shaving meeting somewhere. Hmmmm... Fowl Digits sometime?

Top Bottom