Thread: Is there such things as an expiration date for Shaving Creams?

Default Is there such things as an expiration date for Shaving Creams?

Of course I don't expect shaving creams to just sit for 10 years and still lather well. My TOBS has been sitting in my bathroom for a good 8 months and it is not even half used. TOBS along with all my other soaps and creams, I would expect that it will not be used up for maybe another year. So I want to know, is there an expiration date for shaving creams?

Most creams have labels indicating that they are meant to last 12 months after being opened. Most creams will last much longer, though. And if the cream dries out, all you need is some extra water, it will still lather. When it smells bad or doesn't lather, it is time to part with it. People here have had creams for years, and all they have to do is add some more water, and they shave just like when they were opened.

--- The object of shaving is shaving

Images

There is, and I can't say how every expired cream would perform, but since most have some type of preservatives, they should perform normally. Creams without preservatives may not perform as expected, I'd build a lather with one and test it before tossing. I have a tub of AOS Rose, though it's not expired, it has totally dried out and since I didn't want to go through the trouble of re-hydrating a full tub, I now use it as a soft soap. The lather is just as good as any normally hydrated AOS cream and the scent blooms after loading my wet brush.
    Tabacaholic since 1976

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mftoms59 View Post
    \ it has totally dried out and since I didn't want to go through the trouble of re-hydrating a full tub, I now use it as a soft soap. The lather is just as good as any normally hydrated AOS cream and the scent blooms after loading my wet brush.
    i had a gft sample that performed very similarly...
    --Jon. "Love me some 14s"

I had a couple of Taylor creams start to dry out after about 18 months. I did mix some water into them but they never seemed to be as good as when they were fresh. I now realize that if I haven't finished a cream in 12 months or so, it means that I didn't like it that much to begin with and I probably won't finish it.
    ~brian