What's new

Slickness vs Cushioning

Creams & Soaps: Slickness or Cushioning?

• Slickness is more important

• Cushioning is more important

• Both are equally important

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
A "cushiony" lather for me is one that is dense, stable, and won't run off my face. For my "lather and wait face prep" I want a really thick cushiony lather so that it really stays put and hydrates my beard with close to no break down. For my first pass I also want a really thick lather to keep hydrating my beard during the WTG pass. For XTG and ATG I want a slicker lather, so if need be, I can add water by dipping the tips of my brush in water. You can always get slicker, wetter lather by adding water, but to get more cushion you would need to add more product.

+1 to each and every word!

In my opinion a quality shaving soap or cream needs to have balanced qualities. Not only slickness and cushion, but also good latherability and moisturizing properties and, very important, a stable lather that does not deteriorate once created on the brush.

To me, trying to make either one more important than the other is like saying one blade of a scissors is more important than the other. They both have to work well together or the cream just won't provide a good shave or adequate protection.

For me it's all about slickness. Recently I have had reasons to shave with both Barbasol canned foam and Williams. Barbasol gave great cushion, but zero slickness. Williams gives me great slickness, but little or no cushion. Both shaves were OK, but to choose between the two, I would always go with the slickness.

In my opinion a quality shaving soap or cream needs to have balanced qualities. Not only slickness and cushion, but also good latherability and moisturizing properties and, very important, a stable lather that does not deteriorate once created on the brush.

Both are important to me!

To me, trying to make either one more important than the other is like saying one blade of a scissors is more important than the other. They both have to work well together or the cream just won't provide a good shave or adequate protection.

+1

marty

I realize saying slickness AND cushion is the schoolbook answer, but by virtue of being slick, isn't it already providing a thin layer of substance for the razor to glide across. How can more cushion than that be desired, or more plainly, what exactly is it doing for you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom