What's new

Gillette Guard

I bought a handle and about 20 blades from West Coast Shaving. I took one with me on a business trip to Florida last week. I tried to travel light so my entire shave kit consisted of a Guard and handle and I used hotel-room soap (no brush) for my shave. For a disposable cartridge I think the Guard worked pretty well. I hear that you can also use hotel hair cream rinse as a brushless shaving cream - I am going to try that next time I have to travel for work (at home I have about 70 shavers and about 20 brushes, but I try to roll minimalist when I travel for work).

Last edited:
I bought a handle and about 20 blades from West Coast Shaving. I took one with me on a business trip to Florida last week. I tried to travel light so my entire shave kit consisted of a Guard and handle and I used hotel-room soap (no brush) for my shave. For a disposable cartridge I think the Guard worked pretty well. I hear that you can also use hotel hair cream rinse as a brushless shaving cream - I am going to try that next time I have to travel for work (at home I have about 70 shavers and about 20 brushes, but I try to roll minimalist when I travel for work).

You could use a shave stick such as Palmolive EU or LaToja. Sticks don't take up enough room in a suitcase to worry about and they are much better at shaving than a bar of some off-brand hotel soap or conditioner is. Since you would probably store the stick in a small pill bottle when you aren't using it anyway just use that pill bottle to soak the tip of the stick for shaving. A small brush would also be needed but does not take up very much space either.

I shave 2 or 3 times a week typically. It's gotten to the point that I use the Guard 1 out of those 3 times. It's just that good, that foolproof, that easy. If only it had a heavier handle.....

Gillette will soon release their custom handles made of brass & nickel, for 150.00$..... sound plausible.

I had also tried the guard, which I purchased from west coast shaving. I wasn't too impressed with it. After using it a few times and getting razor burn each time, in the trash it went.

From my experience, I don't think it would be possible for me to get razor burn. I can use all the pressure in want with no ill effects.

You could use a shave stick such as Palmolive EU or LaToja. Sticks don't take up enough room in a suitcase to worry about and they are much better at shaving than a bar of some off-brand hotel soap or conditioner is. Since you would probably store the stick in a small pill bottle when you aren't using it anyway just use that pill bottle to soak the tip of the stick for shaving. A small brush would also be needed but does not take up very much space either.

+1 - my travel kit is a La Toja stick, a Semogue 830, and a Gillette Guard. Works great. I also travel occasionally with a Palmolive EU stick.

Gillette Guard gets a thumbs up from me. Nice quick, smooth shave.

I thought it was pretty good shaving with the grain, but wasn't quite as good as a DE when shaving across the grain under my cheek bones. The overall result was still pretty good for me, and I like it better than some of my old two blade cartridge razors.
Regards,
Renato

Apart from cost savings, I think the guard purposefully has a cheap appearance to prevent these razors from leaking into the western world as this would screw with their master plan.

Apart from cost savings, I think the guard purposefully has a cheap appearance to prevent these razors from leaking into the western world as this would screw with their master plan.

Interesting your perception of Guard.

I thought it looked pretty sleek, and reeked efficiency, unlike the silly looking current cartridge razors that are made to look futuristic with superflous plastic and wild colours and battery lights, and many of which ooze goo too.
Regards,
Renato

Top Bottom