What's new

Looking for a Recommendation...

I have a cheap pure badger brush from target that seems to do the job pretty well, with the exception that it is very prickly.

I am looking for a brush that is a little smaller in spread (my favorite soap is the eShave soap, which come in a small bowl with no sides above the soap, and I don't like getting soap all over the outside of the bowl) and maybe something that has some backbone, yet is not prickly on my skin.

I would like to spend less than 100 dollars, and I would LOVE to spend less than 50.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

One of my oldest and most trusted friends, who is both a gentleman and a scholar, mentioned the Vulfix 404 in mixed badger and boar. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Frank Shaving. Cheap, and surprisingly awesome and well made.

Also, if you're willing to wait and pay upwards of $50, Kimson (Kimson Handicraft in Vietnam) makes a fantastic brush.

You're going to get inundated with Simpson suggestions, so I went for 2 less common options.

EDIT: Forget the Kimson, I can't read. It'll be way too big for what you want. To keep my '2 options' true, I'll throw out a Vie-Long Horse 13120 - it's like a Wee Scot, just in horse hair.

Last edited:
Vulfix 404 = yuck. Super scratchy knot...a mix of cheap boar and really cheap prickly trimmed pure badger. The handle is great though, I'm going to re-knot mine with a TGN knot soon.

If you want a boar brush, just pick out a couple Semogues and rotate them. I love the 1250 and the 2030B I have. They are not too prickly and do not need a long break in time. Very enjoyable to use.

In the badger category, I'd be looking at the cheaper Simpsons Best models like the Berkeley or maybe the Case? A little higher up from that and you get into the Rooneys in Super. 1/1 or 3/1 will be a great brush. If you use a lather bowl, you'll probably want the 3/1.

Other than that, the Semogue SOC badger is growing on me quite a bit.

Now, there is pretty much no brush, with the possible exception of the Wee Scot, that is going to NOT make a mess with Eshave soap in that little metal bowl. Just get over it or find a deeper container to transfer your puck to.

Check out the Hobbyist/Vendor forum. You can often find brushes for around $50 that are better (looks and performance) than other brushes in the same price range.

I have a cheap pure badger brush from target that seems to do the job pretty well, with the exception that it is very prickly.

I am looking for a brush that is a little smaller in spread (my favorite soap is the eShave soap, which come in a small bowl with no sides above the soap, and I don't like getting soap all over the outside of the bowl) and maybe something that has some backbone, yet is not prickly on my skin.

I would like to spend less than 100 dollars, and I would LOVE to spend less than 50.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

One of my oldest and most trusted friends, who is both a gentleman and a scholar, mentioned the Vulfix 404 in mixed badger and boar. Any other suggestions?

Frank Shaving Silvertip from the bay. Get the Large Knot, as i did, and you will not be disappointed. Great value, excellent brush. I have 2 already.

If you don't want scrritchie stay away from Semouge. If you want soft look at the smaller Saville Rows or BK4 (BK4 might not have the backbone you want) if you want Scritchie pm me!!

Well, thank you for all your recommendations. I took them all to heart and then ordered a brush from Rudy Vey. Should be here by week's end. I went with a maple burl eagle with 22/44 two band finest knot.

Top Bottom